When I first heard the album, I thought it was okay, but nothing spectacular. The second time I heard it, the songs began to digest in my brain pretty well, most notably Why Bother, getchoo, and el scorcho. By listen number three, I was almost completely hooked! Curiously, it took me a while to get into Falling For You, yet now, I consider it one of my favorite songs on the album. What were your first impressions on Pinkerton?

Views: 48

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had heard "The Good Life" and "El Scorcho" first, and liked those songs so I tried it out. I thought they weren't all too bad, but I wasn't too fond of Falling For You. After the 2nd or 3rd time, I feel in love with this album. It is my go-to record, and my favorite album of all time. The thing I find the best is I can relate to pretty much every lyric on it, and the solos let out all the emotions.
I knew blue, forgot about it, and then green came out and i went back and listened to blue again. I was like oh, I like Weezer. Then I realized that there was an album in between. The first song I listened to was El Scorcho, and I liked it, but when I tried listening to Falling For You, and I had to force myself into it. Song by song, I got into Pinkerton and it was way worth the time it took to really like it.

I first heard El Scorch on a transistor radio in 1996 when I was only 12. I remember hearing the first chorus and thinking that it sounded like Weezer but the radio static made it hard to identify. And I got excited when I heard Green Day being mentioned because Green Day was, and still is, one of my favorite bands. Then the radio DJ announced the song afterward and confirmed my thoughts. I loved it from that very first moment before the CD even came out. I thought EL Scorcho was terrific and when I got the album I remember thinking that it was equally brilliant.

I never understood why people didn't like it.

I heard it first when I was 16, after trying to pick up a copy of it for a few years I finally found it in the mall when I was on vacation. It was a lot darker than I had expected, on first listen, but Why Bother stuck out of the mix to me. By the end of the vacation I was listening to it non-stop! But still, to this day, I don't recommend it to people right off the bat that want to know =w='s music. It's amazing, but it's something nice to be saved for a time when you really need it.
1998. The first Weezer song I liked was The Good Life. Then i borrowed a copy of the album from my cousin. First impression: everything about that album freaked me out (I was just discovering rock and roll) aside from Across The Sea and Butterfly. Then one by one, all the songs fell into place. I remember falling in love with El Scorcho's chorus and Pink Triangle's lyrics. And then I realized Tired of Sex was the most underrated song in rock and roll history (Rivers once said he thought it would change rock music forever, and for me it did at least). I think Falling For You was the last one to reel me in (it was the solo) but it's probably my favorite off the entire album.

I may have the most interesting Pinkerton reaction of all...but then again, I'm a total dweeb.

On September 24, 1996, I had been out of college for almost a year, and was working in San Jose, CA in a field completely different than my area of study. That said, I was always more than willing to find a reason to take a day off. When I learned that the release date was 9/24/96, I requested, and was granted, the day off.

I drove to Tower Records in San Mateo, CA to eagerly await their 10:00 A.M. opening. The minutes passed so slowly it was painful. Torture, really. But, I waited inside my dark brown 1977 Toyota Corolla with everything I needed: 1) Acoustic guitar (tuned down a half step, of course); 2) A bottle of Gatorade; 3) Enough money to buy the cd (and not much else); and 4) An in-dash cd player that was probably worth more than the car itself.

The doors opened, and I was the first customer. I bolted to the "W" section, grabbed my still-cherished cd, and paid cash. I opened it, threw it in the cd player, and my life was changed forever.

As a Guns 'N Roses devotee prior to my indoctrination into all things Weezer, I really liked the heavy stuff. GNR tunes down a half-step too, and I like the tone and texture you get at that tuning. The driving songs on the Blue Album got me hooked; particularly, Jonas, No One Else, and Holiday. Only In Dreams was life changing too. Okay, back to Pinkerton...

The first notes of Tired of Sex were enchanting. Feedback. Pick slides. Ride cymbal. Moog. The bass line, the vocals, the funny lyrics, and the dissonance leading to the breakdown before the second verse. Then BAM, the electric guitars start rocking. I was hooked from that very moment. I grabbed my acoustic and learned the riff before I even got through the song one time. The energy, the crescendo, the sincerity, and the GUITAR solo made all right with the world at that moment, in my crappy brown Toyota, despite the fact that I had no money, a job I didn't want, and only a few dollars and a Gatorade.

In my life, I've had the privilege of graduating from college and law school, passing Bar exams in three states, getting engaged, getting married, and becoming a father to three fantastic boys. I've played dozens of shows with my band (Endicott 8), including many, many Weezer tribute shows. But, at that moment, the Power of Pinkerton, despite my circumstances, excited me and satisfied me in a way that is almost inexplicable. For that moment, I was totally happy.

The next three tunes: Getchoo, No Other One, and Why Bother, rocked my world. Getchoo's edgy guitars, cool harmonies, innovative guitar solo, and even some measures of three thrown in for good measure, especially at the end had me engaged musically. No Other One's use of swells and feedback, along with funny but profound lyrics, the slide guitar, and dynamics intrigued me. Why Bother brought me back to rocking.

Oh man...then Across the Sea came on. I had to stop listening to the song to figure out the strange non-linear guitar progressions, especially the rhythm guitar during the guitar solo. I mean, how did they think of that? That song has inspired me to be non-linear in my writing of my own music, and it inspired me at that moment in the brown Toyota. It has stuck with me since. I wish other life lessons were that easily preserved and maintained. So few cover versions of this song are played properly.

The Good Life, El Scorcho, Pink Triangle, Falling for You (guitar heaven), and Butterfly are all incredible songs in so many ways, but I've run out of time to expound upon them, other than to say they have been in my CD player every day since 9/23/96.

I left the Tower parking lot at 6:00 P.M. that day, having only consumed my Gatorade. I didn't leave the car. Instead, I learned the songs on my acoustic guitar, enjoyed a full day of pure musical happiness and education, and escaped from the normal occurrences of every day life. I owe Weezer for learning that such escapes are possible, and for most of who I am as a musician. I'm a life-long Weezer fan. My three boys are. My oldest and I rocked with them in Vegas. Blue drew us in, but Pinkerton is the fabric that holds us together.

=W=

Bill Frazier

Endicott 8

myspace slash endicott8

That is a fantastic story sir. Thanks for sharing. I was at the Vegas show as well. Just incredible seeing both albums played back to back. Your story makes me want to take an extended lunch break, go home, grab a guitar, and jam out to 90's Weezer for old times sake.

Bill - Endicott 8 said:

I may have the most interesting Pinkerton reaction of all...but then again, I'm a total dweeb.

On September 24, 1996, I had been out of college for almost a year, and was working in San Jose, CA in a field completely different than my area of study. That said, I was always more than willing to find a reason to take a day off. When I learned that the release date was 9/24/96, I requested, and was granted, the day off.

I drove to Tower Records in San Mateo, CA to eagerly await their 10:00 A.M. opening. The minutes passed so slowly it was painful. Torture, really. But, I waited inside my dark brown 1977 Toyota Corolla with everything I needed: 1) Acoustic guitar (tuned down a half step, of course); 2) A bottle of Gatorade; 3) Enough money to buy the cd (and not much else); and 4) An in-dash cd player that was probably worth more than the car itself.

The doors opened, and I was the first customer. I bolted to the "W" section, grabbed my still-cherished cd, and paid cash. I opened it, threw it in the cd player, and my life was changed forever.

As a Guns 'N Roses devotee prior to my indoctrination into all things Weezer, I really liked the heavy stuff. GNR tunes down a half-step too, and I like the tone and texture you get at that tuning. The driving songs on the Blue Album got me hooked; particularly, Jonas, No One Else, and Holiday. Only In Dreams was life changing too. Okay, back to Pinkerton...

The first notes of Tired of Sex were enchanting. Feedback. Pick slides. Ride cymbal. Moog. The bass line, the vocals, the funny lyrics, and the dissonance leading to the breakdown before the second verse. Then BAM, the electric guitars start rocking. I was hooked from that very moment. I grabbed my acoustic and learned the riff before I even got through the song one time. The energy, the crescendo, the sincerity, and the GUITAR solo made all right with the world at that moment, in my crappy brown Toyota, despite the fact that I had no money, a job I didn't want, and only a few dollars and a Gatorade.

In my life, I've had the privilege of graduating from college and law school, passing Bar exams in three states, getting engaged, getting married, and becoming a father to three fantastic boys. I've played dozens of shows with my band (Endicott 8), including many, many Weezer tribute shows. But, at that moment, the Power of Pinkerton, despite my circumstances, excited me and satisfied me in a way that is almost inexplicable. For that moment, I was totally happy.

The next three tunes: Getchoo, No Other One, and Why Bother, rocked my world. Getchoo's edgy guitars, cool harmonies, innovative guitar solo, and even some measures of three thrown in for good measure, especially at the end had me engaged musically. No Other One's use of swells and feedback, along with funny but profound lyrics, the slide guitar, and dynamics intrigued me. Why Bother brought me back to rocking.

Oh man...then Across the Sea came on. I had to stop listening to the song to figure out the strange non-linear guitar progressions, especially the rhythm guitar during the guitar solo. I mean, how did they think of that? That song has inspired me to be non-linear in my writing of my own music, and it inspired me at that moment in the brown Toyota. It has stuck with me since. I wish other life lessons were that easily preserved and maintained. So few cover versions of this song are played properly.

The Good Life, El Scorcho, Pink Triangle, Falling for You (guitar heaven), and Butterfly are all incredible songs in so many ways, but I've run out of time to expound upon them, other than to say they have been in my CD player every day since 9/23/96.

I left the Tower parking lot at 6:00 P.M. that day, having only consumed my Gatorade. I didn't leave the car. Instead, I learned the songs on my acoustic guitar, enjoyed a full day of pure musical happiness and education, and escaped from the normal occurrences of every day life. I owe Weezer for learning that such escapes are possible, and for most of who I am as a musician. I'm a life-long Weezer fan. My three boys are. My oldest and I rocked with them in Vegas. Blue drew us in, but Pinkerton is the fabric that holds us together.

=W=

Bill Frazier

Endicott 8

myspace slash endicott8

when i first heard it i was blow away. el scorcho was the best song id heard ina while. and i love butterfly its so soft, the perfect song to fall asleep to.
At first I thought it was an okay album, only liking El Scorcho but as I listened to the album more it hooked in my brain. The guy who started this post is actually the one who showed me Weezer and at first I didn't like them but now they are my favorite band and Pinkerton is my favorite album.

I got addicted

it was interesting. i liked it the first time around. the second time fell in love with it can't pick a favorite.
This album is very raw. I love the spectrum of emotions in it. I feel like I'm a kid again, reading into mixed tapes. Every song feels so carefully placed. This is something that I appreciate in most of their earlier albums and still a bit in their newer ones.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video