Hi, I'm from WI, where workers are going home and going to the state Capitol to protest some really fishy budget proposals which take away workers rights, as well as simply devalue us and our work... Besides that, it won't fix the budget.

Do we have your support?!!?

Also... I'm inviting Weezer as of now to show up. Come on guys, we need you and everyone else!

Thanks!

Tags: Scott, WI, Walker, Weezer, action, political

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

NJ is going to have a rally on Trenton soon too.

You make an excellent point.

I guess I interpreted it as that he thought the Governor was abusing his own power (in the sense of some sort of dictator or tyrant).

It's still, however, not an abuse of power. As I stated before,  the Constitution allows states to do exactly what WI is trying to do. There are already many states that don't allow public workers to unionize and bargain collectively.

kilgoretrout2112 said:

If the state legislature votes on it has nothing to do with abuse. Hell, how do you explain the Chinese Exclusion Act? Explain the Alien Sedition Acts. The legislature is run by politicians. Poli=many and ticks are blood sucking creatures. 

I know nothing of it, but I believe you. I'm sure it will be happening a lot more now.

Luke Garner said:

What does this have to do with Weezer fans being needed? I know it is in ATNW, but the title suggests that Weezer fans would be involved somehow...
Weezer fans are just awesome, educated people for the most part. Really, we need everyone because, as I've said this is not a secluded issue, it's national... Global even. Even in Morocco there are now protests happening.

I've been a Weezer fan since I was 12, in 1994. I've always gotten so much support from their music and their fans, so I wanted to reach out for that, because I know so many others do. In other words, it's a community I feel a part of, and right now, we need community.

Also, I need people that don't mind talking and sharing opinions openly... That's hard to find, especially with strangers online.

Hope that answers your question... I still can't explain why Weezer is important to me.

New news to me:

Governor Walker campaigned on the fact that his biggest proposal would be to get rid of collective bargaining.

This means that a majority of the state agrees with what he is trying to do.

So there's no reason to be protesting; he got elected. If anything, there should've been protests at his inauguration.

Oh, and the Democrats that left the state say they left to 'stand up for democracy.' How are they standing up for a system in which the people have the right to vote, when they are refusing to vote? All they have to do is go back to the capitol and vote 'NO'. They have enough votes for it to not pass. A simple majority isn't needed until it's second vote.

None of this makes any sense.

Nice research and thoughts Jordan, I am with you.

To dive deeper into this, these teachers are counting on the government to pay them, that's their first mistake.   We forget that "public" education is still a relatively new thing, especially mandatory, in terms of the history of the world. Maybe we should try fully privatizing education.  Dollars speak. If you want your kid to have an awesome education, then pay for it.  If you have no money, then maybe your community could start a volunteer school.  I know plenty of families that home school their kids.  They get together in "collectives".  One parent for each kid in the collective focuses on a subject, and then teaches it to the rest of the kids.  It would be harder to get a uniform education for every child in the country, but maybe that's a good thing?

I don't like Unions.  I like that Americans have the right to unionize, but I don't like what the unions do with their money.  For all the money they give to Poli-ticians, they could charge way less in Union fees, or provide better benefits. 

It's funny that even one protester compared the Governor to Hitler, when Hitler was really the big government guy, and this Wisconsin Governor seems to want to limit the size of government.

Going back to the prison comment made earlier from the person from California.  Our Prison system and Military is sucking our country and states dry.  If we had a lot less inmates (as in, release all the "drug" offenders), then states and the federal government would have a lot more money to spend on teachers.

I bet if pot was legalized and taxed in WI, this problem wouldn't be happening.  Not that legalizing pot is a quick fix, by any means, but it would defiantly help boost the states economy, and then they might not be in such a tight fiscal situation.

I guess my main point is, don't just focus on this one, relatively small issue.  I realize this isn't small for A.J. because it's his livelihood getting messed with, but to really fix this, we are going to have to dig deeper, and get back to the basics.  Start asking "Why?" does the government even have a decision in this?  Why is the government the one teaching our children and paying the teachers?  Why do test scores determine school funding?  Why are unions even needed for a state funded job (shouldn't the state automatically treat them right)?  How can we approach education and taxation differently?

All in all, I don't know how to fix this problem.  If it were me, I'd say, "Sorry, we're broke.  It's either this, no road maintenance, or a rise in everyone's taxes."

Jordan said:

New news to me:

Governor Walker campaigned on the fact that his biggest proposal would be to get rid of collective bargaining.

So there's no reason to be protesting; he got elected. If anything, there should've been protests at his inauguration.

Oh, and the Democrats that left the state say they left to 'stand up for democracy.' How are they standing up for a system in which the people have the right to vote, when they are refusing to vote? All they have to do is go back to the capitol and vote 'NO'. They have enough votes for it to not pass. A simple majority isn't needed until it's second vote.

Very well put. I agree with everything you stated (that's pretty rare in politics)!

Gregor =w= Langbehn said:

Nice research and thoughts Jordan, I am with you.

To dive deeper into this, these teachers are counting on the government to pay them, that's their first mistake.   We forget that "public" education is still a relatively new thing, especially mandatory, in terms of the history of the world. Maybe we should try fully privatizing education.  Dollars speak. If you want your kid to have an awesome education, then pay for it.  If you have no money, then maybe your community could start a volunteer school.  I know plenty of families that home school their kids.  They get together in "collectives".  One parent for each kid in the collective focuses on a subject, and then teaches it to the rest of the kids.  It would be harder to get a uniform education for every child in the country, but maybe that's a good thing?

I don't like Unions.  I like that Americans have the right to unionize, but I don't like what the unions do with their money.  For all the money they give to Poli-ticians, they could charge way less in Union fees, or provide better benefits. 

It's funny that even one protester compared the Governor to Hitler, when Hitler was really the big government guy, and this Wisconsin Governor seems to want to limit the size of government.

Going back to the prison comment made earlier from the person from California.  Our Prison system and Military is sucking our country and states dry.  If we had a lot less inmates (as in, release all the "drug" offenders), then states and the federal government would have a lot more money to spend on teachers.

I bet if pot was legalized and taxed in WI, this problem wouldn't be happening.  Not that legalizing pot is a quick fix, by any means, but it would defiantly help boost the states economy, and then they might not be in such a tight fiscal situation.

I guess my main point is, don't just focus on this one, relatively small issue.  I realize this isn't small for A.J. because it's his livelihood getting messed with, but to really fix this, we are going to have to dig deeper, and get back to the basics.  Start asking "Why?" does the government even have a decision in this?  Why is the government the one teaching our children and paying the teachers?  Why do test scores determine school funding?  Why are unions even needed for a state funded job (shouldn't the state automatically treat them right)?  How can we approach education and taxation differently?

All in all, I don't know how to fix this problem.  If it were me, I'd say, "Sorry, we're broke.  It's either this, no road maintenance, or a rise in everyone's taxes."

Jordan said:

New news to me:

I don't have time right this minute to respond to a lot of these things, which I do disagree with, but that I'm happy are posted.

I will share this... a recent article about the situation that explains both sides.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0211/49919_Page2.html

Peace,

A.J.

Hey man, you're pretty awesome. We have opposing views on the situation, but you're not one of those people that flip out and refuse to listen to anything anyone has to say.

A.J. Beeves said:

I don't have time right this minute to respond to a lot of these things, which I do disagree with, but that I'm happy are posted.

I will share this... a recent article about the situation that explains both sides.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0211/49919_Page2.html

Peace,

A.J.

Teachers and police officers became what they are because the benefits that come with it. When other workers, besides police officers and teachers, lose their jobs, or the place they worked closed down they looked at jobs that provide benefits and think it isn't fair. Chris Christi (NJ Gov) is now making teachers and police officers work longer before they retire and not get as much when they do because of this. I understand why certain people would want others like teachers to give up some of their benifets and all, but teachers and police officers and other workers went to college for these jobs and they selected these jobs for the benefits.

Jordan said:
I know nothing of it, but I believe you. I'm sure it will be happening a lot more now.

Luke Garner said:

Christi has been doing a wonderful job.

Blame what you want, but it's the only chance you guys have at saving the state.

Luke Garner said:

Teachers and police officers became what they are because the benefits that come with it. When other workers, besides police officers and teachers, lose their jobs, or the place they worked closed down they looked at jobs that provide benefits and think it isn't fair. Chris Christi (NJ Gov) is now making teachers and police officers work longer before they retire and not get as much when they do because of this. I understand why certain people would want others like teachers to give up some of their benifets and all, but teachers and police officers and other workers went to college for these jobs and they selected these jobs for the benefits.

Jordan said:

Luke Garner said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video