Hi, I'm from WI, where workers are going home and going to the state Capitol to protest some really fishy budget proposals which take away workers rights, as well as simply devalue us and our work... Besides that, it won't fix the budget.

Do we have your support?!!?

Also... I'm inviting Weezer as of now to show up. Come on guys, we need you and everyone else!

Thanks!

Tags: Scott, WI, Walker, Weezer, action, political

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think America has been living in a dream world of credit, deficit, and unbalanced budgets for far too long.

States are starting to realize that they can't pay for what they promised anymore.  As is the Federal Government.  I would love it if the Government could just take care of us all, and leave us with no worries, but that time period is also coming to an end.  This can also be expanded to Healthcare and Defense.  We just can't afford these fancy things anymore.

I hate being a pessimist, but the future does look good, unless we can come up with a skill, product, or trade that the whole world wants, and gives us lots of money for it.

I read this whole thing, and this is the line that stands out to me:

"Fitzgerald will open session like usual on Tuesday despite the absence of the runaway Democrats, and the 19-member GOP caucus will vote on nonbudgetary measures, such as a resolution commending the Green Bay Packers on winning the Super Bowl."

Probably just because I'm a Packers fan.

Another line that stood out to me is how the protesters are chanting "This is what Democracy looks like."  Like most people in America, they think they live in a Democracy.  We live in a Republic.  A form of government designed to keep the people from harming themselves.  A form of government designed to protect the minority from the majority.  I think these teachers have big voices, but at the same time, I think there are millions of cheeseheads that support this, but you won't see them at the capitol building, because they are all going to work at their jobs.

A.J. Beeves said:

I don't have time right this minute to respond to a lot of these things, which I do disagree with, but that I'm happy are posted.

I will share this... a recent article about the situation that explains both sides.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0211/49919_Page2.html

Peace,

A.J.

Is the situation in WI the same as it is all over the country? In NJ they are asking teachers, police officers, and other workers to give up certain rights. Are the details the same in WI as NJ?

A.J. Beeves said:

Very thoughtful replies! I'm totally excited that Weezer fans can have real conversations about things (weezer-related and not), which I've picked up on a lot since this site was re-modeled a while back.

Anyway, here are some key points that need to be looked at to learn more, and understand why this protest is happening, both for us, and for the country at large. I'm afraid it does mostly come from the Democratic side of things, but there are a lot of folks down there that are not democrats and in fact voted for Scott Walker. Also, one great thing was the Fire Department, which the bill doesn't affect (due to them being supporters of Walker) showed up in support of the protesters a couple days ago.

So, the fight is much bigger than WI itself, so I'm trying all my "friends" in the world to see what kind of larger understanding and support we can have during this tough time.

1)  http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lfb /Misc/2011_01_31Vos&Darling.pd f 

This is a memo explaining there was no budget deficit expected for this year. Our Gov. actually created a deficit after this was reported, and it's a small deficit.

2)  Wisconsin Democrats quit capitol

Overall story from the BBC news to give a bigger perspective of the situation.

Check this out from the article:

"The state faces a $3.6bn (£2.23bn) budget deficit in the coming two-year period. The public employee bill is expected to save $300m in that period."

3) Here is a piece from Rachel Maddow outlining some interesting stuff... worth watching, at least to get some perspective.  Rachel Maddow Show

4) And, finally, some Noam Chomsky on the issue:  http://t.co/kFBHcmI

Alright, please keep the conversation going here... there is a lot more to the story.

Peace,

A.J.

Haha, they're not rights. If they were rights (which means they are given to us in the Constitution), they would never be taken away. They are privelages.
The situation is very similar everywhere it is happening. In WI, though, I believe it does not include police/firefighters.

Luke Garner said:

Is the situation in WI the same as it is all over the country? In NJ they are asking teachers, police officers, and other workers to give up certain rights. Are the details the same in WI as NJ?
Ok, here's a video of a police officer who has been a republican for all his life:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fCm6JcOMuM&feature=youtube_gdat...

Here's an article showing just how twisted this thing gets:
http://www.prwatch.org/news/2011/02/10045/wisconsin-surprise-walker...

As for the pessimism, I've been quiet for a while now on politics, because there weren't battles worth fighting, I felt. This is a major battle... A war of the classes to protect the middle class. Also, there is so much rhetoric from the right out there, that I'm going to respectfully ask Jordan to consider might be influencing him, and definitely influencing others. They are lies. About 2/3's of the nations wealth is controlled by the top 20% of the population. They want to take full control, and this is impacting everyone. Even Weezer is effected. Did you hear what Rivers said about the music industry in the guitar center interviews? Why of all times in history would budgets be going down for creating albums?! He said they just don't have the same amountof time and resources they used to. That's sad. It's all connected.

Finally, here's a PDF report of the state budget, showing a surplus for this year in WI! It's now a deficit because our governor has given out the money as tax breaks for large corporations... We're not talking about small businesses here either.

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lfb/Misc/2011_01_31Vos&Darling.pdf
This report says there was a $121 million surplus in our state budget, and it's from January. Don't assume too much.

More to come!
Here's another article that summarizes a lot of what's been going down, on case you need to catch up:

http://www.care2.com/causes/politics/blog/a-recall-fight-brewing-in...

Underneath the article are links to other related issues around the world and in Madison.

Peace!
And, here's what the BBC reports today...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12541294

It includes what's happening in Indiana and Ohio.

Peace and Solidarity!

Hi A.J.,

thanks for posting these updates. I find it interesting hearing about what's happening in your part of the world, especially in relation to education and workers rights. It's cool to hear about issues from a range of perspectives, whether it be directly from people or alternative media.

No prob, Danielle.

Where are you writing from?

Peace,

A.J.

A.J.Beeves said:

No prob, Danielle.

Peace,

A.J.

I'm writing from Sydney, Australia.

I'm very fortunate to live in a peacful, democratic country. Though it is important to maintain a critical view of things and not take certain rights for granted.

I've been to Sydney. It's such a beautiful city.

Danielle said:

A.J.Beeves said:

No prob, Danielle.

Peace,

A.J.

I'm writing from Sydney, Australia.

I'm very fortunate to live in a peacful, democratic country. Though it is important to maintain a critical view of things and not take certain rights for granted.

Jordan said:

I've been to Sydney. It's such a beautiful city.

Thanks.  It certainly can be a great place to live. Or visit. (Ahem, hint hint, Weezer.)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video