Hi, I'm from WI, where workers are going home and going to the state Capitol to protest some really fishy budget proposals which take away workers rights, as well as simply devalue us and our work... Besides that, it won't fix the budget.

Do we have your support?!!?

Also... I'm inviting Weezer as of now to show up. Come on guys, we need you and everyone else!

Thanks!

Tags: Scott, WI, Walker, Weezer, action, political

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm afraid I'm going to need more details

Sorry, but I don't support you guys at all.

The WI government is asking for workers to give up some benefits (not salaries), but the workers would be giving up less then half the national average. No reason for you guys to complain.

Certainly no reason to be comparing the state Governor to Adolf Hitler (which many people had on their signs).

You guys are embarrassing yourselves.

And it certainly does help the budget. WI, like many other states, can no longer afford to 'pay its bills', and is quickly moving towards bankruptcy.

It doesn't take away your workers rights, either. It limits the amount of collective bargaining the unions can do. Under the Constitution of the United States, state governments have the right to allow unions to collectively bargain or not. It is not a right that you have, it is a privelage.

*Don't take this personally, I've got my opinion, just like you have yours. I'm not into the whole union thing, but you guys have gotta make a living, and provide for yourselves and your families, and I understand that. Go ahead and keep protesting. The right that we have to do these kinds of things is what makes this country great!

Very thoughtful replies! I'm totally excited that Weezer fans can have real conversations about things (weezer-related and not), which I've picked up on a lot since this site was re-modeled a while back.

Anyway, here are some key points that need to be looked at to learn more, and understand why this protest is happening, both for us, and for the country at large. I'm afraid it does mostly come from the Democratic side of things, but there are a lot of folks down there that are not democrats and in fact voted for Scott Walker. Also, one great thing was the Fire Department, which the bill doesn't affect (due to them being supporters of Walker) showed up in support of the protesters a couple days ago.

So, the fight is much bigger than WI itself, so I'm trying all my "friends" in the world to see what kind of larger understanding and support we can have during this tough time.

1)  http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lfb /Misc/2011_01_31Vos&Darling.pd f 

This is a memo explaining there was no budget deficit expected for this year. Our Gov. actually created a deficit after this was reported, and it's a small deficit.

2)  Wisconsin Democrats quit capitol

Overall story from the BBC news to give a bigger perspective of the situation.

Check this out from the article:

"The state faces a $3.6bn (£2.23bn) budget deficit in the coming two-year period. The public employee bill is expected to save $300m in that period."

3) Here is a piece from Rachel Maddow outlining some interesting stuff... worth watching, at least to get some perspective.  Rachel Maddow Show

4) And, finally, some Noam Chomsky on the issue:  http://t.co/kFBHcmI

Alright, please keep the conversation going here... there is a lot more to the story.

Peace,

A.J.

Another thing I forgot to mention.

*sarcastically* I'm glad to see 40%+ of the WI state teachers 'call in sick' from work.

It's great to know that thousands of grown adults decided to lie, setting a wonderful example for the students that look up to them.

*Like I said before, I'm happy to see a somewhat peaceful protest (mind the Hitler comparisons) in our country; it reminds us of the rights that we have here, that not many people in the world do. But when teachers of public schools lie to the state, to the town, and the students/parents, it disgusts me.

uh yeah, thousands of grown adults decided to stand up for something they believe in, which imo sets a pretty f****** great example for the students that look up to them.

Jordan said:

*sarcastically* I'm glad to see 40%+ of the WI state teachers 'call in sick' from work.

It's great to know that thousands of grown adults decided to lie, setting a wonderful example for the students that look up to them.

Okay, I have no problem with them doing what they are doing.

But they shouldn't lie and say they are sick. It's obviously unbelievable that 40%+ would get sick on the same day, and still show up for a protest. They have the right to assemble, there's no reason to lie.

Also, does it set a good example when they are comparing their newly elected governor to the most evil man that has ever existed on this planet?

Asking the unions to give up very few benefits isn't very comparable to committing genocide.

▓░▓░▓░▓░▓░▓░▓░▓░▓░▓░▓░▓░ said:

uh yeah, thousands of grown adults decided to stand up for something they believe in, which imo sets a pretty f****** great example for the students that look up to them.

Jordan said:

If WI drops its unions, and transfers to a rite-to-work state, it's economy would be much better.

7% of Chicago's population left last year to go south, in order to get away from the union business.

Ok, teachers didn't lie. They called in sick, but it was a clear message that they are only using their sick time because that's the only time they can use. There was no feigning that they were going out in protest. That's the legal way to do it. Also it certainly is setting a great example for children... I'm a teacher myself, and that is my opinion.

Also, it's much bigger than money... Much, much bigger. It's also frankly about much more than unions. It's about someone abusing power for a national agenda.

Finally, I too don't like the Hitler signs or the comparison to Mubarak. Thankfully, those are far and few between on the actual rallies. It's moreso the news that reports on these odd angles, probably to get a rise out of people.

Here's the latest global coverage from the BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12510849

I think there are now rallies in Ohio about the same issue.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts... Hopes this adds to your knowledge!

1. Whether it's right/legal or not, it was still a lie. Reasoning makes no difference.

2. State agenda, not national. Not an abuse of power. If the state legislature votes on it, it's not an abuse at all. That's how our democracy is supposed to work. The Governor didn't try to do anything without a vote.

3. Thank you.

A.J. Beeves said:

1. Ok, teachers didn't lie. They called in sick, but it was a clear message that they are only using their sick time because that's the only time they can use. There was no feigning that they were going out in protest. That's the legal way to do it. Also it certainly is setting a great example for children... I'm a teacher myself, and that is my opinion.

2. Also, it's much bigger than money... Much, much bigger. It's also frankly about much more than unions. It's about someone abusing power for a national agenda.

3. Finally, I too don't like the Hitler signs or the comparison to Mubarak. Thankfully, those are far and few between on the actual rallies. It's moreso the news that reports on these odd angles, probably to get a rise out of people.

Here's the latest global coverage from the BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12510849

I teach in California and although our former Governor had some family ties to World War II, I would not compare him to Hitler either. It pretty much sucks here too. They have changed our health benefits and slowed way down on giving jobs to teachers. With the lack of hiring teachers, we get more classes, more students and a state that wants even better results. CRAZY. However; I really do enjoy my job and life is still good. What surprises me, is that our district union leaders are Republicans and have even told me that they don't support Unions. Seems like my best interests are not being met. The prison guards and the prisons have the best union and are basically screwing this state over. I support unions, but not when they are out to screw the other people over. I know teachers work hard and I know that many don't look at us like professionals but like babysitters. So, my solution is to pay me babysitting wages at $10 an hour for each student. I have 184 students each day and work from 8-3ish. That is quite a bit of money. Anyway, WI you have my support!!!!
Totally agree. 

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ said:

Jordan said:

If the state legislature votes on it has nothing to do with abuse. Hell, how do you explain the Chinese Exclusion Act? Explain the Alien Sedition Acts. The legislature is run by politicians. Poli=many and ticks are blood sucking creatures. 

Jordan said:

1. Whether it's right/legal or not, it was still a lie. Reasoning makes no difference.

2. State agenda, not national. Not an abuse of power. If the state legislature votes on it, it's not an abuse at all. That's how our democracy is supposed to work. The Governor didn't try to do anything without a vote.

3. Thank you.

A.J. Beeves said:

1. Ok, teachers didn't lie. They called in sick, but it was a clear message that they are only using their sick time because that's the only time they can use. There was no feigning that they were going out in protest. That's the legal way to do it. Also it certainly is setting a great example for children... I'm a teacher myself, and that is my opinion.

2. Also, it's much bigger than money... Much, much bigger. It's also frankly about much more than unions. It's about someone abusing power for a national agenda.

3. Finally, I too don't like the Hitler signs or the comparison to Mubarak. Thankfully, those are far and few between on the actual rallies. It's moreso the news that reports on these odd angles, probably to get a rise out of people.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video