A few months ago, I was wearing my favorite Weezer soccer shirt and hanging out with a group of people at a friend's house, watching people get plastered and make fools of themselves. As I was introduced to yet another faceless name I would soon forget, I was asked a very simple question. "You like Weezer? Why?" When I explained that they wrote two of my favorite albums of all time, the person replied "But their new music sucks!" I relented, because these conversations have never been too fruitful in the past.

 

But I wish I hadn't. I wish I could have explained that there's plenty of great music Rivers Cuomo and company have released, just not if you listen to the radio or hear them in the credits of Jackass or Yogi Bear.

 

I began to wonder why Weezer was my favorite band since their last amazing album (at least to me) was released when I was 7 years old. 

 

No other band has reached the dizzying heights that Weezer has reached or continues to reach, however rarely. I have seen many different types of music live: Metal, pop, orchestral... groups that are filled to the capacity with incredible musicians. But none of those groups have come close to matching Weezer at its best live. Seeing Rivers & Co. play through Pinkerton on January 08th in Chicago was a phenomenal moment and felt like a culmination of all the emotions I had felt since first discovering Weezer. All the negativity and resentments about "subpar albums" faded away. It was forever the answer to "Why do I still follow these guys?"

 

When I was five, it was "Buddy Holly" that taught me the power a song can have. I am reminded of music's power and how important one 3 minute ditty can be every time Weezer releases a new record. Though I may not like Raditude or Red as a whole, there are still glimpses of brilliance on these albums and the dysfunctional chemistry that led to the odd genius of Blue and Pinkerton is still alive. The fact that Weezer is still putting out untouchable songs this late in the game is inspiring, though some of their albums are not. I suppose I'm still hoping for another great album front to back, and I know Rivers can do it... but as long as they keep giving me songs like "Miss Sweeney," "Dreamin'", "Greatest Man" and "I Don't Want to Let You Go," I'll be fine. It is the extreme joy and confusion that I've felt for this band for the past decade that keeps me coming back and, no matter how many Can't Stop Partyins or Smart Girls they throw my way, they still remain the most interesting and powerful band to ever grace my ears, imperfections and all.


(Ironically, this same dude who dissed Weezer was belting along with the chorus of Magic later that night. I hate parties.) 

Tags: bad, writing

Views: 238

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Reason why Weezer is my (second) favorite band of all time...the green album, the blue album, hurley, angel and the one, pork and beans. And the fact that they do whatever the heck they wan't no matter what the critics (er i mean Fans) say. Really liked the musical direction of Hurley and i've like what i've heard from Rivers so far an i have some pretty high expectations for their next album, i jsut have a feeling it will melt my already melted face
typical '"Blue album and pinkerton fans" i hate maladroit when i first heard of it but then realized it was a great album too. all their album was great and i think it would be cooler if they include more b sides song to their albums. their b sides are all great. it's such a pity that songs like "teenage victory song" "modern dukes" "367" for example didn't make it to any of the album they've released. That's why we love 'em eh? =w=

You do realize that Rivers has been trying to get feedback and create music geared to "critic fans" (as you so lovingly deem them) for the past few months, right?


America said:

And the fact that they do whatever the heck they wan't no matter what the critics (er i mean Fans) say.
well naturally, why else would i so lovingly deem them as such?

Michael Rowland (Gohi) said:

You do realize that Rivers has been trying to get feedback and create music geared to "critic fans" (as you so lovingly deem them) for the past few months, right?


America said:

And the fact that they do whatever the heck they wan't no matter what the critics (er i mean Fans) say.
Yeah, for the record I have owned Pinkerton for about 12 years. I am 24 and have always referred to PINKERTON as Pink, If i am having one of these conversations with one of my frriends, I say blue and pink and i always will. We all know what TWHTALMH means, we don't have to type it all so we dont. Man do i love Blue and Pink!!!  and all comparisons wirth the beatles are different then comparisons to other bands. The beatles are the effing beatles man. But weezer do have harmonies that may not sound exactly like the beatles, they still share some similarities. Growing up all i listened to  was the beatles and look who became my favorite band!

Sam Hushek said:
first of all it's PINKERTON  not pink, and  secondly they are not even comparable to the beatles. Although i like weezer better, the beatles were revolutionary and changed music forever. Weezer is great, but no one, not even weezer can compare to what the beatles did in their time.

Dan M. said:

I get into a lot of those situations with people I run into.  Usually, I end up explaining that although their first two albums were by far their best, the others all have good songs to contribute.  I also go into the argument that most bands evolve and change as time goes on, so it was to be expected.

 

I'm kinda convinced that the Weez are a modern-day (more rock) version of the Beach Boys/Beatles.  I think that Rivers Cuomo's abilities as an overall musician, despite the heat taken from albums after Pink, should be recognized.  I believe there's a reason why they are still relevant.

 

Although this is a minor comparison to the Beatles, didn't many people say that they started to drift off towards the end of the 60s and into the 70s?  Was it after the White Album or something?  I don't feel like googling it and confirming my facts at the moment, so just correct me if I'm wrong.  Essentially, after Blue and Pink, Weezer started to lose many of their "core" fans due to the newer stuff. 

 

My thoughts.

Thanks, Zach.  I'm glad you understood where I was coming from.  God forbid I call it PINK! 

 

The Beatles are the pinnacle of music for many people.  Their music has stood the test of time so far.  I'm sure there are thousands of bands that list them as influences in one way or another.  Weezer formed their own sound with Blue that stuck with all of us, and I can't help but think of the Beatles and Beach Boys in many ways through the melodies and lyrics expressed in that album.  And although Pinkerton was the exact opposite of Blue in terms of the motivation behind it, the melodies, harmonies, and lyrics are amazing. 

 

I believe that music is a hell of a lot different now than it was 30-40 years ago.  A lot of that has to do with pop culture and those of us listening, of course.  If someone told me that there would be another band that influences the rock music industry as much as the Beatles, I'd probably tell you that you're crazy. Will Weezer ever reach those heights?  No, probably not, but I feel like Blue and Pink have true staying power that will always have people look back and go, "Weezer was a very good band that put out a lot of solid music". 

 

I'm Mr. Positive in regards to Weezer's music anyway, but I have a difficult time looking at rock or alternative music post-2000 and feeling really good about it.  The 90s for me was the greatest time in music.  Maybe it's because I grew up in the 90s, but most of these newer bands don't do it for me.  With the exception of Ozma (who I believe formed in the mid 90s but didn't release until the 2000s), I haven't been a big fan of bands in the 2000s and on. 

 

 

Zach Smith said:

Yeah, for the record I have owned Pinkerton for about 12 years. I am 24 and have always referred to PINKERTON as Pink, If i am having one of these conversations with one of my frriends, I say blue and pink and i always will. We all know what TWHTALMH means, we don't have to type it all so we dont. Man do i love Blue and Pink!!!  and all comparisons wirth the beatles are different then comparisons to other bands. The beatles are the effing beatles man. But weezer do have harmonies that may not sound exactly like the beatles, they still share some similarities. Growing up all i listened to  was the beatles and look who became my favorite band!

Sam Hushek said:
first of all it's PINKERTON  not pink, and  secondly they are not even comparable to the beatles. Although i like weezer better, the beatles were revolutionary and changed music forever. Weezer is great, but no one, not even weezer can compare to what the beatles did in their time.

Dan M. said:

I get into a lot of those situations with people I run into.  Usually, I end up explaining that although their first two albums were by far their best, the others all have good songs to contribute.  I also go into the argument that most bands evolve and change as time goes on, so it was to be expected.

 

I'm kinda convinced that the Weez are a modern-day (more rock) version of the Beach Boys/Beatles.  I think that Rivers Cuomo's abilities as an overall musician, despite the heat taken from albums after Pink, should be recognized.  I believe there's a reason why they are still relevant.

 

Although this is a minor comparison to the Beatles, didn't many people say that they started to drift off towards the end of the 60s and into the 70s?  Was it after the White Album or something?  I don't feel like googling it and confirming my facts at the moment, so just correct me if I'm wrong.  Essentially, after Blue and Pink, Weezer started to lose many of their "core" fans due to the newer stuff. 

 

My thoughts.

Cool posts Dan.

 

Never snidely correct what is obviously a shortened version of the album name, kids.

I think people think thay are bad now only because they only hear about their poppy songs ( That are not bad at all) and not the rest of their albums! 

 

(Sorry for my poor english, it's not my first language )

See to me weezer is one of the best 90's band ever. The only bands around now a days i like are weezer, red hot chili peppers, blink 182, vampire weekend, and the black keys. Weezer's music has evolved but may i add without that we would've never got make believe. but i myself prefer there 90's blue and pinkerton. another thing to me is there is no one cooler than rivers, now a days there's no frontmen like him (with exception to red hot chili peppers and blink 182)  and hurly sounded like it was getting back to their more rochish style not 90's but like red, so i think the next weezer cd like every weezer cd will be kick-ass, so thats what i waiting for to finally show my friends that are h*** and only listen to rap and retarded pop who's on top now.
Thank you.  Very good idea for a topic.

Michael Rowland (Gohi) said:

Cool posts Dan.

 

Never snidely correct what is obviously a shortened version of the album name, kids.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

  • Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Offline

Live Video