Pinkerton (as you should know) was Weezer's second album and least successful one. 

The question continues: Why did it bomb?

"El Scorcho," the first single was not well received except in Australia. Many stations refused to play it.

WHAT I THINK: WTF?!?!?!?!??!?!??!

Catchy from first listen. Who cares if the time signature changes?! It sounds really great to me.

"The Good Life," failed to become completely popular, charted a little.

WHAT I THINK: Hhhmph

Maybe that was a bad idea. Great, great song but do people have the patience for it? Nowadays no one would, but even back then? 

To try to get the album more popular, "Pink Triangle" was released. It did not chart.

WHAT I THINK: Well...

Pink Triangle is one of the best on the album (Across the Sea is my favorite), but I don't know if people wanted to digest this song. People may have been homophobic and uninviting to this song.

MY PERFECT PINKERTON SINGLE LIST:
Just an idea of what they should have done:
1st single: Why Bother?

This song is great in all areas, people would have loved it.

2nd single: The Good Life

If they liked Why Bother?, they would have the patience to want to listen to this.

3rd single: Across the Sea (or El Scorcho)

If people are liking the Nirvana stuff back then, they would love Across the Sea, and El Scorcho, same reason as Good Life, but only to be released if Good Life made it big.

I bought Pinkerton deluxe a few days ago but have only listened to the original album part. Planning on listening to the rest soon enough. Great album.

-Nathan

Tags: across, commercial, el, fail, failure, good, life, music, pinkerton, scorcho, More…sea, the, weezer, why

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I feel like you might have skipped this thread since you still think pinkerton is the least successful album
I did skip that, but Pinkerton's sales have increased since people started to appreciate it.

Šupak said:
I feel like you might have skipped this thread since you still think pinkerton is the least successful album
Most people's initial reaction to Pinkerton is kind of negative, i think there's a thread about initial Pinkerton reactions.

does this question still continue?

anyone who was actually alive when pinkerton came out knows why it bombed: it wasn't what most people wanted or expected from weezer at the time. add that to the lack of any lasting promotion and the band being somewhat dysfunctional and it's pretty easy to understand why it performed so poorly. how is there any confusion over this?

Nathan said:

The question continues: Why did it bomb?

this reminds me of this video for some reason 

lulz

yeah i dont know man, people were just squares and didnt listen to weezer. I could understand pinkerton not doing well if they weren't famous yet but after blue weezer was the s***, i dont know why people didnt like it, its a great album.
That was hilarious 

Stefan said:

this reminds me of this video for some reason 

lulz

They didn't like it because it wasn't 'Blue: Part Two'.
V

Benjamin L. Shachter said:
same reason Maladroit didn't do so hot.  It wasn't Green part 2

Farkas said:
V

Benjamin L. Shachter said:

Pinkerton didn't sound like Blue, Green Day, Nirvana or Sublime .. that's why it bombed on release.

It was an album that separated the wheat from the chaff of Weezer's fanbase and showed what hypocritical parasites music journalists really are. 

uh yeah, most critics gave the album fairly positive reviews.

Killamarshan said:

Pinkerton didn't sound like Blue, Green Day, Nirvana or Sublime .. that's why it bombed on release.

It was an album that separated the wheat from the chaff of Weezer's fanbase and showed what hypocritical parasites music journalists really are. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video