Pinkerton (as you should know) was Weezer's second album and least successful one. 

The question continues: Why did it bomb?

"El Scorcho," the first single was not well received except in Australia. Many stations refused to play it.

WHAT I THINK: WTF?!?!?!?!??!?!??!

Catchy from first listen. Who cares if the time signature changes?! It sounds really great to me.

 

"The Good Life," failed to become completely popular, charted a little.

WHAT I THINK: Hhhmph

Maybe that was a bad idea. Great, great song but do people have the patience for it? Nowadays no one would, but even back then? 

 

To try to get the album more popular, "Pink Triangle" was released. It did not chart.

WHAT I THINK: Well...

Pink Triangle is one of the best on the album (Across the Sea is my favorite), but I don't know if people wanted to digest this song. People may have been homophobic and uninviting to this song.

 

MY PERFECT PINKERTON SINGLE LIST:
Just an idea of what they should have done:
1st single: Why Bother?

This song is great in all areas, people would have loved it.

2nd single: The Good Life

If they liked Why Bother?, they would have the patience to want to listen to this.

3rd single: Across the Sea (or El Scorcho)

If people are liking the Nirvana stuff back then, they would love Across the Sea, and El Scorcho, same reason as Good Life, but only to be released if Good Life made it big.

 

I bought Pinkerton deluxe a few days ago but have only listened to the original album part. Planning on listening to the rest soon enough. Great album.

 

-Nathan

 


 

 

Tags: across, commercial, el, fail, failure, good, life, music, pinkerton, scorcho, More…sea, the, weezer, why

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Omg this killed me, so funny

Stefan said:

this reminds me of this video for some reason 
 

lulz

I remember reading plenty of scathing reviews ... self indulgent and under produced were the main criticisms.  Both unfair criticisms in my opinion.

fluck [kittenž (j.biebž)] said:
uh yeah, most critics gave the album fairly positive reviews.

Killamarshan said:

Pinkerton didn't sound like Blue, Green Day, Nirvana or Sublime .. that's why it bombed on release.

 

It was an album that separated the wheat from the chaff of Weezer's fanbase and showed what hypocritical parasites music journalists really are. 

 

 

Over the last 10 years or so there have been far more articles talking about the negative reviews of Pinkerton than there were actual negative reviews. Many reviews that contained negative comments (comments which are usually now taken out of context) still had a generally positive tone.

Killamarshan said:
I remember reading plenty of scathing reviews ... self indulgent and under produced were the main criticisms.  Both unfair criticisms in my opinion.

fluck [kittenž (j.biebž)] said:
uh yeah, most critics gave the album fairly positive reviews.

Killamarshan said:

Pinkerton didn't sound like Blue, Green Day, Nirvana or Sublime .. that's why it bombed on release.

 

It was an album that separated the wheat from the chaff of Weezer's fanbase and showed what hypocritical parasites music journalists really are. 

 

 

haha yeah, i mean the album is both self-indulgent and under-produced. those aren't exactly scathing criticisms.

Andrew Fry [AF] said:
Over the last 10 years or so there have been far more articles talking about the negative reviews of Pinkerton than there were actual negative reviews. Many reviews that contained negative comments (comments which are usually now taken out of context) still had a generally positive tone.

Killamarshan said:
I remember reading plenty of scathing reviews ... self indulgent and under produced were the main criticisms.  Both unfair criticisms in my opinion.

fluck [kittenž (j.biebž)] said:
uh yeah, most critics gave the album fairly positive reviews.

Killamarshan said:

Pinkerton didn't sound like Blue, Green Day, Nirvana or Sublime .. that's why it bombed on release.

 

It was an album that separated the wheat from the chaff of Weezer's fanbase and showed what hypocritical parasites music journalists really are. 

 

 

sounds like a damn good album to me....

fluck [kittenž (j.biebž)] said:
haha yeah, i mean the album is both self-indulgent and under-produced. those aren't exactly scathing criticisms.

It just didn't have the stellar 'pop' quality to get a lot of radio play, I think...  When it first came out I bought it and played it a ton, but even then I could tell it just wasn't as good as the Blue Album, and therefore, was less successful commercially.  It was just more goofy (but good, obviously.)  It's a good album but just wasn't a chart topper...  But I guess topping the charts wasn't the goal with that album anyway.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

  • Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Offline

Live Video