Last night I went to Edgefest, and the show was great, Weezer played a really long set, but I was surprised when they sang atleast one song off of each album with the exception of Hurley. And they never really mentioned that Hurley had been released fairly recently. It seems like most weezer fans like the album atleast better than Raditude, and Hurley might not have sold as well as Raditude, but I think that could change if they tried to advertise it more by singing songs like Memories or Hang On live. Obviously people like the earliest albums best, but sometimes hearing a song live can completely change your perspective on it, so maybe if people could see a Hurley song live they would grow a new appreciation for the album.

What do you all think? And maybe I'm wrong, I don't know what songs they played in Birmingham.

Views: 62

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think so. It certainly didn't help Raditude when they were playing I'm Your Daddy, Can't Stop Partying, Tripping Down The Freeway and I'm Your Daddy live.

The reason they don't play Hurley live (and forgive me for saying this, as I truly like the album) is simply the lack of demand. A very small sect of fans want to hear songs from it live, while most festival-goers want the hits and hardcore fans want the classic old songs.

I liked the version of "Hang On" they played in Atlanta, GA and I think "Memories" worked really well as an opener last year. I would love to hear "Run Away" or "Trainwrecks" played live. I'd love to hear what the songs sound like when the band is playing them instead of Rivers and some guest musicians. I don't have any numbers or facts to support this, this is just speculation on my part.

Marie said:

Oh I definitely wouldn't want that. Only in Dreams was a very nice surprise! But I feel like Hurley didn't sell that well, and promoting even just one or two songs from the album by singing them live would really help.

Gregor =w= Langbehn said:

In a way, it's nice that they don't play ALL Hurley songs, like some bands do when they put out a new album, but then again, it sucks when you go to a show, and see the same set over and over.

I'm impressed they played Only In Dreams.  I've only ever seen them play that once, out of the 8 times I've seen them.

Besides the fact that they don't play much Hurley, I'm more upset that all they play is Festival shows.  I hate festivals.

At least they played "Hang On" on RJ Berger so they promoted it abit.
Ruling me would own live lol. It would be nice to add 2 or 3 Hurley songs to the setlist just to spice it up (if for absolutely no other reason)

Yeah, it would make sense for them to actually play songs off their new album wouldn't it?  Besides just Memories.  I personally am very into Brave New World, but the odds of that getting played out of all Hurley tracks is almost non-existent.  Ruling Me should have been a single, honestly, and it should be played live since they did play it once at least for something.  Hang On, being a single (I guess?  I'm not even sure anymore) should really be played.  Among others like Unspoken, Trainwrecks and possibly Smart Girls. 

I don't understand why Weezer chooses to not promote the album in any fashion.  It's leaps and bounds better than Raditude was, so it at least deserved the chance to get some promotion.  Let me rephrase that.  I don't understand why Weezer doesn't choose to promote the album by PLAYING it.  They've had a lot of creative forms of promotion, from that stupid MTV show to YouTube channel takeovers and what not.  

In any case, I'm glad we got the Memories shows.  It's better than a greatest hits set list with some Hurley added.  So I can't really complain.  I'd however like to see the next album actually get played.

I think if the members of Weezer read this, they would be a bit confused.  They just had a very successful Memories Tour and it now has them playing more old songs instead of just singles.  If I was a member of Weezer, I'd read this and think, "Wait, it was the lack of attention to the new material that has us playing more songs from Blue and Pinkerton again in the first place.  That's why Hurley isn't being featured in sets." 

The demand is greater for nostalgia and lesser for recent material.  That's just the way it is.

Also, I'd like to add that in a 15 song set, I'd much rather hear "The Good Life" instead of "Hang On".  Wouldn't you as well?

David J. Stepp (DJS92491) said:

I think if the members of Weezer read this, they would be a bit confused.  They just had a very successful Memories Tour and it now has them playing more old songs instead of just singles.  If I was a member of Weezer, I'd read this and think, "Wait, it was the lack of attention to the new material that has us playing more songs from Blue and Pinkerton again in the first place.  That's why Hurley isn't being featured in sets." 

The demand is greater for nostalgia and lesser for recent material.  That's just the way it is.

I've been to 3 Weezer shows and have heard all of the hits and even some songs from Pinkerton. I am a hardcore fan and would love to hear Hang on, Ruling me, Run Away, or Brave New World. The fact is in a few years some of those songs will have more meaning. More fans  will all want to hear them just as a fair amount of us want to hear Take Control or Fall Together. Weezer isn't going anywhere and if they have finally come to the point of playing all Pinkerton songs, I am sure they will get to Hurley.
I know that they are going to play songs from Maladroit at the Sonisphere.

Zach Smith said:
I've been to 3 Weezer shows and have heard all of the hits and even some songs from Pinkerton. I am a hardcore fan and would love to hear Hang on, Ruling me, Run Away, or Brave New World. The fact is in a few years some of those songs will have more meaning. More fans  will all want to hear them just as a fair amount of us want to hear Take Control or Fall Together. Weezer isn't going anywhere and if they have finally come to the point of playing all Pinkerton songs, I am sure they will get to Hurley.
No you don't.

They did not play Memories in Birmingham. In fact, they did not play any songs from Hurley in Birmingham.

Lewis Digges said:

They did play Memories in Birmingham Friday night but I don't know why they didn't sing it last night in Dallas since they have sang it on every date they played since 2010 and this is probably the first night they didn't sing it. Not like they haven't promoted Hurley at all with "Memories" being played on all the dates with "Hang On" being played early on but never played again. Hope they don't decide to drop the song all together from the tour or if they could use it as an ending to shows.

Kind of like what Biebs said and that is that the Hurley era is over with.

What world does Lewis live in?
Someone asked Scott on twitter and he said that they were going to play songs of Maladroit because they need to play some heavier stuff for the Sonisphere.

Michael Rowland (Gohi) said:
No you don't.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service