Have we ever gotten an answer from the band about why they don't tour australia? It's been 14 years now since their one and only tour. Did they have a bad experience down here? It's weird because they tour japan so regularly and australia is not that much further to go. Despite the lack of tours, their albums still sell well here, and they still have a considerable amount of indie cred.

In the time since weezer last toured australia, every other band I can think of has toured at least once, ie, foo fighters have toured about 3 times, pearl jam 4 times, blink 182 at least 2 times, RATM once, green day
probably twice, U2 twice, bad religion probably 3 times, pennywise
4-6 times, NOFX 4-6 times, NIN 3-4 times, tool 3-4 times RHCP about twice, metallica 2 or 3
times, tenacious d 4 times, radiohead at least twice, kings of leon 3
times, muse 5-6 times,
and even lady gaga has toured twice. Only Madonna has toured less, with no tour since 1990.

Now that the Australian $ is worth more than the US$, touring here makes a lot of financial sense. Come on weezer!

Views: 939

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

cuz you touch yourself at night!

Hi folks.

So I started a new petition at Go Petition and a myspace page for anyone interested in supporting the concept of an Australian tour. The petition will be aimed at promoters rather than addressing the band.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/weezer-fans-for-australia-tour....

http://www.myspace.com/565962582

Well it's six months later and we still don't have a definite reason. We can now cross a couple of potential reasons off the list though:

- Lack of promoter interest. No. The promoter of the soundwave festivals has been trying to get them here for years.

- Lack of financial incentive for the band. No. They were offered $2 million plus costs for 5 soundwave shows.

- Lack of fans. No. See record sales listed above.

- Too far to travel. Is it any further than Japan from the US?

I'm sure y'all realize this by now, but they don't owe anyone excuses as to why they won't tour certain places. It's unrealistic to demand reasons why they haven't toured Australia (or any place for that matter). They stopped touring here years ago and yeah it sucks, but I'm not demanding they tell me WHY they're not coming here anymore. Just because I'm a fan doesn't mean they OWE me an excuse.

Matty C | Weezer 4 SoundwaveRev said:
I have found these threads are a waste of time. Never get any answers. I just wish the band would come out and say "no we will not be touring Australia" and the reasons why.

It would be very frustrating to spend all the money to fly all the way to Japan/US to seen them play, only to have them end up deciding to tour in Australia

I'm sure that many folks are over this issue of touring/ not touring Aus now. So apologies to fans outside of Australia, I just felt the need to address the previous comment.

Speaking for myself, I don't see this as being an issue of being owed something. There is a great deal of enthusiasm and support for Weezer here. There are many existing fans and potential fans keen to hear/ see the band perform live.

At least one promoter has recognised this and made a recent opportunity available to the band, which, for whatever reason, was turned down.

I think that what a great deal many people are feeling is a sense of not understanding why the band has not revisited Aus. It’s not about providing ‘excuses’ as you put it. We just want to understand. Most bands do tour Australia. Regardless of whether they are signed to/ supported by a large corporation or are an obscure indie band with a small number of existing fans, they somehow manage to make it here.

Some examples of bands who have toured Aus recently would be the Foo Fighters, Pixies, Sonic Youth, Slayer, Queens of the Stone Age, Boris, Melvins, Ben Folds Five and the list goes on…

I’m sorry to hear that Weezer have not toured your part of the states suz{ANNE}, that’s unfortunate. I don’t know how much it would cost for you to travel to see them interstate or what commitments might prevent you from doing so, but I do empathise.

Travelling to the USA or Japan from Australia costs thousands of dollars and is not an option for everyone.

I do not in any way feel bitter towards Weezer on this issue, just disappointed.

I think that it’s Weezer’s loss as much as it is ours.

suz{ANNE} said:

I'm sure y'all realize this by now, but they don't owe anyone excuses as to why they won't tour certain places. It's unrealistic to demand reasons why they haven't toured Australia (or any place for that matter). They stopped touring here years ago and yeah it sucks, but I'm not demanding they tell me WHY they're not coming here anymore. Just because I'm a fan doesn't mean they OWE me an excuse.

Matty C | Weezer 4 SoundwaveRev said:

I have found these threads are a waste of time. Never get any answers. I just wish the band would come out and say "no we will not be touring Australia" and the reasons why.

i think it probably has something to do with the fact that the band almost broke up when they were in australia the first time, and that sour article with matt and pat came out around that time
really? I went to Good Charlotte's concert about a month ago here in Perth, and they played Say It Ain't So and The Good Life from the tape before Good Charlotte came on stage and it turns out that I was the only person singing. Ironic eh on what you said popular? I was really sad to be honest. And when the record's playing a song I think from All Time Low everyone was like singing and I am the only one jawdropping...

Joey JoJo Junior Shabadoo said:
Weezer are very popular in Oz. Though Dylan Lewis now hosts Video Hits and he mightn't be able to avoid him. That could be an incentive to stay away.

Also, I recently read Real Wild Child, a book on Rage (Australian music video show) guest programmers over the years. There's a chapter about Brian and Matt's guest spot during that time and apparently it was disasterous and unpleasant for everyone involved. The chapter doesn't really show them in a positive light, with the last line being about how greatful the author was that Matt Sharp finally left the band as he was apparently the hardest to deal with.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video