Have we ever gotten an answer from the band about why they don't tour australia? It's been 14 years now since their one and only tour. Did they have a bad experience down here? It's weird because they tour japan so regularly and australia is not that much further to go. Despite the lack of tours, their albums still sell well here, and they still have a considerable amount of indie cred.

In the time since weezer last toured australia, every other band I can think of has toured at least once, ie, foo fighters have toured about 3 times, pearl jam 4 times, blink 182 at least 2 times, RATM once, green day
probably twice, U2 twice, bad religion probably 3 times, pennywise
4-6 times, NOFX 4-6 times, NIN 3-4 times, tool 3-4 times RHCP about twice, metallica 2 or 3
times, tenacious d 4 times, radiohead at least twice, kings of leon 3
times, muse 5-6 times,
and even lady gaga has toured twice. Only Madonna has toured less, with no tour since 1990.

Now that the Australian $ is worth more than the US$, touring here makes a lot of financial sense. Come on weezer!

Views: 943

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Blame this guy.
As soon as I saw this thread I was gonna post this video but you beat me to it lol

Jamekae said:

Blame this guy.
well maybe they can't earn enough money to make a tour worth it. remember, its a long ways from america, there aren't many cities big enough to play, the time difference is huge, and getting the equipment there must cost an arm and a leg.

How popular is weezer in Oz?
the OP saying it makes financial sense and it making actual financial are two different things. I'm sure they do calculations and such based on record sales Vs cost to get there.

considering weezer rides around in a tour bus and doesn't fly from gig to gig should be an indication that it cost a lot of money to stage shows. keep in mind, its not just 4 guys going there with guitars. Being able to do 2 concerts in 2 cities seems hardly worth it.

why don't you meet the band halfway? come see them in Japan. personally, I can't be fvcked to make the one hour flight to Tokyo to see them, but I've already seen them twice.

Memories Tour 4 Australia said:
Dungeon Master said:
well maybe they can't earn enough money to make a tour worth it. remember, its a long ways from america, there aren't many cities big enough to play, the time difference is huge, and getting the equipment there must cost an arm and a leg.

How popular is weezer in Oz?

Well, both Melbourne and Sydney are big enough to play at and jetlag can be dealt with.

I'm not sure how popular they are in Oz, but Alternative music is very popular around Australia.
It's highly likely that they've garnered enough fans in 14 years to fill two concerts in Australia's most popular cities.

Like the OP said, it makes a lot of financial sense around now as well.
Weezer are very popular in Oz. Though Dylan Lewis now hosts Video Hits and he mightn't be able to avoid him. That could be an incentive to stay away.

Also, I recently read Real Wild Child, a book on Rage (Australian music video show) guest programmers over the years. There's a chapter about Brian and Matt's guest spot during that time and apparently it was disasterous and unpleasant for everyone involved. The chapter doesn't really show them in a positive light, with the last line being about how greatful the author was that Matt Sharp finally left the band as he was apparently the hardest to deal with.
I have found these threads are a waste of time. Never get any answers. I just wish the band would come out and say "no we will not be touring Australia" and the reasons why.

It would be very frustrating to spend all the money to fly all the way to Japan/US to seen them play, only to have them end up deciding to tour in Australia
Having them headline a festival would be ideal methinks. I thought they'd be a shoe in for Soundwave but I was very wrong..... I've just accepted the fact that I'm not going to see them here...
Matty C | Memories Tour 4 Oz! said:
I have found these threads are a waste of time. Never get any answers. I just wish the band would come out and say "no we will not be touring Australia" and the reasons why.

It would be very frustrating to spend all the money to fly all the way to Japan/US to seen them play, only to have them end up deciding to tour in Australia
I think I clearly stated several reason why they will not be touring Oz.

Matty C | Memories Tour 4 Oz! said:

its not ironic, as I was taking the pi$$ out of your thread and the UK thread.

first, there is no way weezer is gonna play Poughkeepsie, unless they have a few very sad and hard years.
second, I don't live there any more. I live in Japan.
third, weezer tours Japan when they are headlining huge music venues, not touring independently.
tokyo, 13 million
all of Australia, 22 million

do the math.

Memories Tour 4 Australia said:
I just checked time zones then... we are only two hours ahead of Japan, and they tour there all the time. That won't be a big problem.

Oh, and the fact that you made your own "tour where I live" thread stating pretty much the same thing is ironic.
thanks for the comments folks. I actually remember watching that interview on Recovery live back in 96!! Hopefully rivers has forgotten about it by now. Recovery was my favourite show from 96 to 98. It had just so much live music and local content - there are no shows like it anymore and it's a shame.

To answer some of the questions, admittedly they are not as popular here as they are in the US, but nevertheless they have sold a considerable number of albums and still get airplay on the main radio station, triple j (and probably others?). Albums sales in Australia have been:
blue: platinum x 2
pinkerton: ? (peak chart position: 41)
green: platinum (peak chart position: 15)
maladroit: gold (peak chart position: 22)
make believe: platinum (peak chart position: 17)
red: no certification (peak chart position: 39)
raditude and hurley: ?

Undone, Buddy Holly, Say it ain't so, el scorcho, hash pipe, and island in the sun were all pretty big hits for them as singles as I recall, and memories has been getting played on triple j a fair bit. Magic is currently at number 16 on the singles chart.

Australia is not a massive country population wise, touring australia would be like touring 5 states in the US. It's expensive to get out here, and the cities are all so far apart that pretty much all bands fly between cities. Despite all this, basically every other US and European band tours here regularly - if they couldn't profit from it they wouldn't do it. I am certain weezer would profit from touring here.

If they never tour here again, I will forgive them, because they keep putting out just so much awesome music. Man it would be good to see them live one day though.
There's a cool and funny interview with rivers on triple j - recorded on the eve of the release of raditude here: http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/media/s2709801.htm
he even mentions the potential for an australian tour

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video