Have we ever gotten an answer from the band about why they don't tour australia? It's been 14 years now since their one and only tour. Did they have a bad experience down here? It's weird because they tour japan so regularly and australia is not that much further to go. Despite the lack of tours, their albums still sell well here, and they still have a considerable amount of indie cred.

In the time since weezer last toured australia, every other band I can think of has toured at least once, ie, foo fighters have toured about 3 times, pearl jam 4 times, blink 182 at least 2 times, RATM once, green day
probably twice, U2 twice, bad religion probably 3 times, pennywise
4-6 times, NOFX 4-6 times, NIN 3-4 times, tool 3-4 times RHCP about twice, metallica 2 or 3
times, tenacious d 4 times, radiohead at least twice, kings of leon 3
times, muse 5-6 times,
and even lady gaga has toured twice. Only Madonna has toured less, with no tour since 1990.

Now that the Australian $ is worth more than the US$, touring here makes a lot of financial sense. Come on weezer!

Views: 939

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Come to Australia! said:
There's a cool and funny interview with rivers on triple j - recorded on the eve of the release of raditude here: http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/media/s2709801.htm
he even mentions the potential for an australian tour

Great find! Enjoyed that interview

Also, you've summed up pretty well why they should come to Oz :D
its not just about time zones.... its crossing into the southern hemisphere.

Memories Tour 4 Australia said:
I just checked time zones then... we are only two hours ahead of Japan, and they tour there all the time. That won't be a big problem.

Oh, and the fact that you made your own "tour where I live" thread stating pretty much the same thing is ironic.
Why don't they tour in St. George Utah? Or alteast Cedar or something! And if they do tour here I sure hope the tickets are alteast a little cheap. Maybe $15?

Jacob Manning said:
As soon as I saw this thread I was gonna post this video but you beat me to it lol

Jamekae said:

Blame this guy.

Does that mean I was beaten by two people?
After reading that awesome AP article on the pinkerton years, I'd say the reason is that they have bad memories of touring here because when they were here the band was at a pretty low point; commercial failure of their album, zero communication between band members, dissapointment about lack of influence on the creative output of the band, and probably other stuff that we don't know about. Not wanting to return to that place is probably the reason. It's a pity for us Australian fans and it's a pity for the band - Australia is a great place for a holiday, we got the great barrier reef, kakadu, uluru, heaps of great beaches, good weather, and numerous idiosyncratic native animals.

It's not lack of profitability of a tour, lack of fans, or as our s*** stirring friend Dungeon Master implies eqautor-phobia: a fear of crossing the equator.
j-biebs, lets combine our efforts. together we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to weezer's tour. so, if you help me get weezer play the chance in Poughkeepsie, I'll help you get weezer to play in Darwin. What ya say mate?
sounds good buddy!

since originally posting this question, I've now come to realise that it doesn't matter if they don't tour as much as all the other US/European bands because they make up for it by putting out so many awesome albums. I don't know of any bands that have put out basically three new albums in the space of two months, how awesome is that?! Go weezer. Keep up the good work.
well, they put out one new album. the other used old material.

it use to be common for bands to put out two albums a year.

Come to Australia! said:
sounds good buddy!

since originally posting this question, I've now come to realise that it doesn't matter if they don't tour as much as all the other US/European bands because they make up for it by putting out so many awesome albums. I don't know of any bands that have put out basically three new albums in the space of two months, how awesome is that?! Go weezer. Keep up the good work.

How about Soundwave Revolution later this year?

The promoter previously stated Weezer wouldnt be at Soundwave, but said "they will be here later in 2011"...

One can only hope....

A couple of us discussed the issue in chat today and I've decided to look into rallying support here and elsewhere in order to convince Australian promoters that a tour is worthwhile. I'll post any updates on my page/ or in the forums for anyone interested.

He did say that yeah, could happen. Here's hoping...

Matty C | Memories Tour 4 Oz! said:

How about Soundwave Revolution later this year?

The promoter previously stated Weezer wouldnt be at Soundwave, but said "they will be here later in 2011"...

One can only hope....

Me too XD RIVAH WEEZAH

Jacob Manning said:
As soon as I saw this thread I was gonna post this video but you beat me to it lol

Jamekae said:

Blame this guy.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service