Via a very interesting conversation on facebook I figure we can transfer the talk over to more people.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/253402304672871/permalink/699328403...

For those who may be incapable of reading this basically it has to do with the negative response to rock music since err say the 2000s lol. Back on the day rock music used to be the shizz and all of the sudden it changed. Hoping with the spark of a potential new album we're (I'm?) hoping the boys, namely rivers can come up with something to save the genre.

Thoughts anyone. I know you all are out there. Don't be shy. Speak your mind.

Views: 489

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This!

insert clever SN here [spaz] said:

what do you mean "you" people?

kbiebs said:

what is wrong with you people.

Rock music (and music in general) is still alive and kicking but for a new generation. I don't think there is an enduring generation of mainstream bands ATM, but then only time will tell. 30 Seconds to Mars and Arctic Monkey's seem to do very well to name just two, with the latter on their 5th album and no sign of burning out just yet. There's also The Killers who've kept a strong momentum.

There's a lot of underground music that we don't always hear about. Could it be nostalgia for those of us getting older? How many people criticise their favourite bands later albums, yet fail to get into anything new?

The Killers last album absolutely sucked.

Stephen Joel Dorff said:

Rock music (and music in general) is still alive and kicking but for a new generation. I don't think there is an enduring generation of mainstream bands ATM, but then only time will tell. 30 Seconds to Mars and Arctic Monkey's seem to do very well to name just two, with the latter on their 5th album and no sign of burning out just yet. There's also The Killers who've kept a strong momentum.

There's a lot of underground music that we don't always hear about. Could it be nostalgia for those of us getting older? How many people criticise their favourite bands later albums, yet fail to get into anything new?

I would suggest that what op is saying is there was more criticsm of rock during 2001-2006/7. Probably true but only because there was more rock around at that time. People credit the Strokes and white stripes with starting that ; here in Britain was mostly kids who'd listened to Oasis, etc. (verve, blur, nirvana even!) had learned to play guitars in that meantime and were now our rockers. As for USA yeah might be white stripes, weezer!, s. Pumpkins, etc.
But I'd suggest if theres more of something, theres more criticism of that something. During 2000 to 2005 roughly rock was big and so, there was more coverage, so therefore there was more negative coverage.
That includes what your friends say cos that is influenced in at least a little way by the media coverage.
All news is good news. No news is bad news. I'd rather there was more rock music, and so more critics of rock music, than blanket electro pop written for vapid contest show winning 'singers' and no rock music.

Got more to say on this but Only if context pp right. This comments long enough.

Wow, really? I thought there were plenty of good songs on there.

Daniel [bleed0range] said:

The Killers last album absolutely sucked.

Stephen Joel Dorff said:

There's always been criticism of rock music since it kinda "died" in like the 2000s I just feel it's unwarranted any kind of criticism of music is unwarranted. I don't see the need to judge genres, even bands or singers. I try to judge anymore . Kinda hard obviously. Even judgement within albums of the bands (ex people saying raditude sucked)

Neil Burns said:
I would suggest that what op is saying is there was more criticsm of rock during 2001-2006/7. Probably true but only because there was more rock around at that time. People credit the Strokes and white stripes with starting that ; here in Britain was mostly kids who'd listened to Oasis, etc. (verve, blur, nirvana even!) had learned to play guitars in that meantime and were now our rockers. As for USA yeah might be white stripes, weezer!, s. Pumpkins, etc.
But I'd suggest if theres more of something, theres more criticism of that something. During 2000 to 2005 roughly rock was big and so, there was more coverage, so therefore there was more negative coverage.
That includes what your friends say cos that is influenced in at least a little way by the media coverage.
All news is good news. No news is bad news. I'd rather there was more rock music, and so more critics of rock music, than blanket electro pop written for vapid contest show winning 'singers' and no rock music.

Got more to say on this but Only if context pp right. This comments long enough.

Just curious- why do you think music criticism is "unwarranted?" I'm just trying to understand your point here.

I think being critical of music is perfectly acceptable and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. We all have a love of Weezer's music in common- I see no reason why someone who doesn't like one of their albums can't express that. How boring would the world be if we all loved the same things and weren't able to voice our opinions when we didn't like something? I actually enjoy discussions I have with people who don't necessarily agree with me on everything when it comes to music. Even with people who don't like Weezer at all!

if it is unwarranted to criticize music that you don't like...then it would also be unwarranted to express your approval of music that you do like.  people on these boards need to understand that weezer has not been a "big" band in over 10 years.  nobody pays attention to this band, this band is not relevant, and it is perfectly okay to express the opinion that they are no longer any good if that is what you think.  don't be so butthurt about it.

also, rock music is not relevant anymore.  just like the blues and jazz is no longer relevant.  people aren't criticizing rock...they are moving on....it had a good 50 year run...time for something else. 

Adrianadesiree Vega said:

any kind of criticism of music is unwarranted.

if-i-were-an-orange said:

if it is unwarranted to criticize music that you don't like...then it would also be unwarranted to express your approval of music that you do like.  people on these boards need to understand that weezer has not been a "big" band in over 10 years.  nobody pays attention to this band, this band is not relevant, and it is perfectly okay to express the opinion that they are no longer any good if that is what you think.  don't be so butthurt about it.

also, rock music is not relevant anymore.  just like the blues and jazz is no longer relevant.  people aren't criticizing rock...they are moving on....it had a good 50 year run...time for something else. 

Adrianadesiree Vega said:

any kind of criticism of music is unwarranted.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video