What is it that I really love about Weezer’s music?

Recently I have found myself asking ‘what is it that really draws me into Weezer’s music and engages me?’ It’s not just the catchy hooks and pop like melodies. Not just the sense of humour we see in many of their music videos. Sure, they chat with their fans online and post on forums which is unique, for a band. And yeah, they photograph well. But I think it’s more than that. So, here it is.

‘My name is Jonas’ ‘Making noise, making noise,’ still excites me, the guitar sounds of ‘Undone’ and ‘Surf Wax America’ rock me. ‘Say it ain’t so’ evokes a very specific place and time for me, as does ‘Only in dreams’.
‘Why bother?’ as sung by Brian Bell (AOL sessions) gets me every time. Pinkerton, though recorded so long ago, (in Weezer terms) remains special.
‘Island in the Sun’ warms my heart, ‘Keep fishin’ lifts my spirits,
‘Troublemaker’ makes me want to break the rules, I love the romance of ‘Miss Sweeney’ and also ‘King’, as sung by Scott Shriner.
‘Love is the answer’ is a message we can all live by, the acoustic version of ‘Put me back together’ moves me. I think it’s hearing Rivers’ heartfelt vocal performance that does it. That said I love the guitar playing on Raditude and the vocal harmonies. I find the lyrics of ‘Brave New World’ empowering.

I don’t have the desire to hear the exact same record from Weezer with each album release. I think that it is only natural to have a change of direction or to creatively explore new ideas. That’s what makes it worthwhile. I delight in being surprised by a different sound or concept. For example, I enjoy hearing a range of instrumentation such as string arrangements in songs such as ‘Unspoken’. That doesn’t mean that I love every song the band has ever released. But it does mean that I look forward to hearing what will come next.

So what is it that makes you love Weezer?

Tags: Love

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

that's wicked sweet, man. =w=

Zachary Zafris said:

What makes me love weezer?

Well the music is special to me because of the moments of which I heard the songs. I remember singing buddy holly in the car with my dad after I got my first pair of glasses. I remember waiting for school to end at 3 so I could drive out to the record store and pick up my reserve copy of make believe. Each time I think of Weezer, I think of all the good times that I had with my family and friends, and that to me is something more powerful than just liking music. Even today walking through the campus my friend and I were singing the sweater song, and it was awesome. I love weezer because it makes me happy and nothing can take that away from me. 

I couldn't agree with you more. The memories of being really young just when they were getting famous are priceless. My friend and I walk around campus all the time and sing =w= classics/ talk about the band, while every other student talks about this b******* top 40 music that is out now.

Zachary Zafris said:

What makes me love weezer?

Well the music is special to me because of the moments of which I heard the songs. I remember singing buddy holly in the car with my dad after I got my first pair of glasses. I remember waiting for school to end at 3 so I could drive out to the record store and pick up my reserve copy of make believe. Each time I think of Weezer, I think of all the good times that I had with my family and friends, and that to me is something more powerful than just liking music. Even today walking through the campus my friend and I were singing the sweater song, and it was awesome. I love weezer because it makes me happy and nothing can take that away from me. 

I have no idea why I like them... But I do!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video