What is it that I really love about Weezer’s music?

Recently I have found myself asking ‘what is it that really draws me into Weezer’s music and engages me?’ It’s not just the catchy hooks and pop like melodies. Not just the sense of humour we see in many of their music videos. Sure, they chat with their fans online and post on forums which is unique, for a band. And yeah, they photograph well. But I think it’s more than that. So, here it is.

‘My name is Jonas’ ‘Making noise, making noise,’ still excites me, the guitar sounds of ‘Undone’ and ‘Surf Wax America’ rock me. ‘Say it ain’t so’ evokes a very specific place and time for me, as does ‘Only in dreams’.
‘Why bother?’ as sung by Brian Bell (AOL sessions) gets me every time. Pinkerton, though recorded so long ago, (in Weezer terms) remains special.
‘Island in the Sun’ warms my heart, ‘Keep fishin’ lifts my spirits,
‘Troublemaker’ makes me want to break the rules, I love the romance of ‘Miss Sweeney’ and also ‘King’, as sung by Scott Shriner.
‘Love is the answer’ is a message we can all live by, the acoustic version of ‘Put me back together’ moves me. I think it’s hearing Rivers’ heartfelt vocal performance that does it. That said I love the guitar playing on Raditude and the vocal harmonies. I find the lyrics of ‘Brave New World’ empowering.

I don’t have the desire to hear the exact same record from Weezer with each album release. I think that it is only natural to have a change of direction or to creatively explore new ideas. That’s what makes it worthwhile. I delight in being surprised by a different sound or concept. For example, I enjoy hearing a range of instrumentation such as string arrangements in songs such as ‘Unspoken’. That doesn’t mean that I love every song the band has ever released. But it does mean that I look forward to hearing what will come next.

So what is it that makes you love Weezer?

Tags: Love

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great topic. I love Weezer for pretty much the same reason you said. All the little perks they have and they are such a likeable group of people! They are all so talented and thats something we can all respect. And come on, Geeks that f*cking ROCK! You dont get more awesome. :)
Crunchy guitars, catchy chord progressions, quirky-yet-sensitive lyrics, fantastic vocal and guitar harmonies, shred-tastic solos, and yes, Matt's falsetto. They're a pretty good band.

What makes me love weezer?

Well the music is special to me because of the moments of which I heard the songs. I remember singing buddy holly in the car with my dad after I got my first pair of glasses. I remember waiting for school to end at 3 so I could drive out to the record store and pick up my reserve copy of make believe. Each time I think of Weezer, I think of all the good times that I had with my family and friends, and that to me is something more powerful than just liking music. Even today walking through the campus my friend and I were singing the sweater song, and it was awesome. I love weezer because it makes me happy and nothing can take that away from me. 

What makes me love them is that their music isn't just all about love like a lot of other groups. Rivers comes up with really cool songwriting ideas that really make you wonder what the deeper story is behind them instead of some typical and predictable love song.

Plus, they're amazing in concert.

I love Power Pop, as long as it has more The Who bite than The Byrds jangle. A lot of the 80's power pop bands were too jangly for me but I often listen to The Raspberries, Badfinger, The Move, Easybeats, Big Star, Cheap Trick, Jellyfish, Sloan and so on. So it was a given I would love the sound of Weezer. However, the icing is that Rivers isn't your typical lyricist, beyond the melodic genius he is. I listen to a number of songs/albums in which the song hook is basically a barstool line sung with utmost cockiness. However, if I want some tales of lust a tad more realistic and less close-minded hedonistic I don't have many places to go other than Weezer (Counting Crows comes to mind too.) The bridge to Across the Sea sums it up. How many guys write songs damning their mother for raising them to be conscientious when he'd rather be the douchebag getting laid? And just the title of Tired of Sex is unbelievably amazing. With Pinkerton in check, Rivers then could do some great c*** rock songs that brimed with laughs and irony, like Greatest Man... and Fall Together without seeming at all too serious like some metal bands do. Great band. And I love every album, although Green is hard to listen to all the way through.

It's really interesting to me to read everyone's responses.

Peggy, I loved what you said about the band doing what they want to do despite what critics might say. And Zachary, I agree that certain songs are reminiscent of a very particular place and time. All the better if they are shared with friends.

Peggy E. said:

They have fun and continue to do what they want regardless of what fans or critics say... they stay true to their vision.. which can be pretty crazy at times.  It's like you put the same ingredients in the pot and get a different thing each time... fun...
Zachary Zafris said:
Even today walking through the campus my friend and I were singing the sweater song, and it was awesome. I love weezer because it makes me happy and nothing can take that away from me. 

Whenever I feel sad or pissed or just feel like shlit they have a song to make me feel better 

they are down to earth. so many artists (and movie stars, etc.) get really full of themselves after they make it big. not weezer. they seem like real people that would actually be cool in real life. not "rock star cool". but cool to hang out with for other reasons than just because they are famous.

they make AWESOME music too.

two words: Power Pop
Pretty much everything she said, plus the first time I heard Make Believe I was convinced that they were singing about me.
Peggy E. said:
They have fun and continue to do what they want regardless of what fans or critics say... they stay true to their vision.. which can be pretty crazy at times.  It's like you put the same ingredients in the pot and get a different thing each time... fun...

I agree that they all seem like genuinely friendly people. They are skilled, professional musicians and very committed. They are subject to so much attention from media and fans. They could easily have a cynical or arrogant attitude like so many people who take success for granted. But they still seem to have a positive attitude towards what they do. That's my perception anyway.

wears superman skivvies said:

they are down to earth. so many artists (and movie stars, etc.) get really full of themselves after they make it big. not weezer. they seem like real people that would actually be cool in real life. not "rock star cool". but cool to hang out with for other reasons than just because they are famous.

they make AWESOME music too.

The first time I played the blue album, there was this whirlwind of emotion stirring in me. I couldn't believe my ears. It was as though someone had taken a photocopy of my thoughts and feelings and slapped them on a record. I remember sitting in my room hearing Only in Dreams for the first time. It was, and still is, the only song I've heard to date that properly (or beautifully improperly) pined the longing, the need, and the lust for that one person in particular that means so much that mere speech wouldn't suffice. It was the album that truly made me hunger for music. I truly believed it was the greatest thing ever recorded.... and then I heard Pinkerton. The polar opposite of Blue. I thought the pureness and soul of the Blue album couldn't be beat. I thought there could never be a superior work of art. I thought I'd never find myself spiraling into the hellish, masochistic, self loathing, that is Pinkerton. I thought only I had those feelings. How wrong of me.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video