Or should I say, hear, in the next Weezer album.

Put aside your desires for old, classic =w= sounding stuff.

Assuming the album is something all new, never before heard from Weezer, what do you hope for?

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well I said the next album. But I'll still go with this, it's sounding pretty good.

Scott Alan Perkins said:
No dude, its on topic. This is what I want to see, its just more future oriented. But, yeah I would pay $100 bucks without batting an eye lash.

Jordan said:

Alright, so what should we do? $100?

Haha, we've certainly gone off topic, but I'm liking this!

Scott Alan Perkins said:

That's pretty cheap considering at least nine full albums, a book, and a live concert on DVD (maybe audio). I assume the DVD portion would at least 6 discs to fit most of thier album. I kinda envision like Coheed and Cambria's Neverender concert, playing thier whole catalog in its entirety, each album on a different night. Weezer albums are much shorter, so probally two albums a night. 

Jordan said:
I suppose it'll be 50 bucks or so, but since it'll be on an infomercial, it'll have to be a $19.99 sale.

Jordan said:
So what's pricing going to look like? ;)

Scott Alan Perkins said:
Its going to be in a big box with the two =w= connected by a rainbow, with a tell all book and live 25 year aniversary concert DVD with Matt Sharp appearing on bass for Blue and Pinkerton. I wonder if I can go ahead and pre-order now.
That's all I got on this box set. The plans are in place if Karl wants to get to work. Album-wise I would say, Each album has been different in its own way, so I kinda think we're in good hands with trusting Weezer's judgement.

Jordan said:
Well I said the next album. But I'll still go with this, it's sounding pretty good.

Scott Alan Perkins said:
No dude, its on topic. This is what I want to see, its just more future oriented. But, yeah I would pay $100 bucks without batting an eye lash.

Jordan said:

Scott Alan Perkins said:

That's pretty cheap considering at least nine full albums, a book, and a live concert on DVD (maybe audio). I assume the DVD portion would at least 6 discs to fit most of thier album. I kinda envision like Coheed and Cambria's Neverender concert, playing thier whole catalog in its entirety, each album on a different night. Weezer albums are much shorter, so probally two albums a night. 

Jordan said:
I suppose it'll be 50 bucks or so, but since it'll be on an infomercial, it'll have to be a $19.99 sale.

Jordan said:

Scott Alan Perkins said:
Its going to be in a big box with the two =w= connected by a rainbow, with a tell all book and live 25 year aniversary concert DVD with Matt Sharp appearing on bass for Blue and Pinkerton. I wonder if I can go ahead and pre-order now.

Ahh, well put. Great way to end this discussion.

Indeed we shall hand things over to Karl now.

Scott Alan Perkins said:

That's all I got on this box set. The plans are in place if Karl wants to get to work. Album-wise I would say, Each album has been different in its own way, so I kinda think we're in good hands with trusting Weezer's judgement.

Jordan said:

Scott Alan Perkins said:

Jordan said:

Scott Alan Perkins said:

Jordan said:

Jordan said:

Scott Alan Perkins said:

I don't necessarily want it to sound classic Weezer.  When we say "classic" we usually just mean "good."  Pinkerton doesn't really sound like Blue but it's a great album with great songs.  Blue is a great album with great songs, but different from Pinkerton.  So in the "sound" department I would like the album to just be full of nothing but GOOD... no scratch that.  GREAT SONGS.  I mean it.  Every track, a good-great song.  Rivers has done it before and has thrown away enough demos to have done it again, theoretically. Track selection man, they always only get it half right.  I like the older Weezer sound of course, and it should still have elements of that.  They should embrace who they are.

... ALSO, I'd like the album to get adventurous in it's song structures.  In the way Greatest Man is one of the best post-pink songs.  It's absolutely a cool idea to incorporate "movements" ala classical pieces into rock.  In the way Tragic Girl isn't just verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus... longer songs doesn't mean better.  So again, the quality has to be there.  A rock opera is a prime place to do things like this.  SFTBH gets some of the idea down, but was never fully realized.  Green Day's American Idiot has a 9 minute track called Jesus of Suburbia which is, IMO, brilliant in it's melding of different "songs" together...  stuff like that.

.... NO COLOR ALBUM NAME.  NO.  It's just, boring.  I don't want a Yellow album, purple, orange or plaid.  No thanks.  I also don't want it to be anything that could easily be made into a joke.  For once I think Weezer should take the album artwork in a serious direction.  Especially if it's a rock opera.  Being a "LITTLE" goofy is no big deal, but I think having a jumping dog on the cover and jorge on the cover of Hurley didn't help them really.  Why not just go for the "cool" factor?   Maybe have multiple album covers or something?  Also the name could be something less jokey then "Raditude" or "Hurley."  If they want to be taken seriously.  Pinkerton is a good example, it's the only time they went in that direction.  I know Rivers still thinks Pinkerton did everything wrong, but it did a lot right.  It's a very well respected album now.  They've relied too heavily on the "group" photo and "joke" album covers in recent years.  That's just my opinion of course.  It won't matter at all if the music isn't good anyway.  The music just has to be good.

I think it'd be cool if they did something similar to what Arcade Fire did for The Suburbs...

"The band pressed each completed song to a 12" lacquer, then recorded it back for the digital master of the album."  Vinyl is making a big comeback lately, by doing this they achieved a "vinyl" effect on the sound of the album even on CD.  That's a pretty cool idea.  Although, of course, now it's already been done.

Either way, the rock opera idea does interest me.  Certainly more than just another 10 track album of random songs.  BTW, who says it has to be 10 tracks?  Why not 12 or 14?  That's not that uncommon either.

You make a lot of very good points.

I too like the rock opera concept. And you have a good point with the name parts.

I don't mind random/strange album names (I actually really like it), because that's what Weezer is, but if they did do something more 'normal and/or cool', they could attract a greater audience, which could mean more Weezer for a longer time.

As for album art, I'm sure they'll figure out something great (as they always do, in my opinion), but I don't think there's any getting away from the fact* that they're bound to do at least one more color album, like it or not.

*Edit: I suppose it's not necessarily a fact.

Daniel [bleed0range] said:

I don't necessarily want it to sound classic Weezer.  When we say "classic" we usually just mean "good."  Pinkerton doesn't really sound like Blue but it's a great album with great songs.  Blue is a great album with great songs, but different from Pinkerton.  So in the "sound" department I would like the album to just be full of nothing but GOOD... no scratch that.  GREAT SONGS.  I mean it.  Every track, a good-great song.  Rivers has done it before and has thrown away enough demos to have done it again, theoretically. Track selection man, they always only get it half right.  I like the older Weezer sound of course, and it should still have elements of that.  They should embrace who they are.

... ALSO, I'd like the album to get adventurous in it's song structures.  In the way Greatest Man is one of the best post-pink songs.  It's absolutely a cool idea to incorporate "movements" ala classical pieces into rock.  In the way Tragic Girl isn't just verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus... longer songs doesn't mean better.  So again, the quality has to be there.  A rock opera is a prime place to do things like this.  SFTBH gets some of the idea down, but was never fully realized.  Green Day's American Idiot has a 9 minute track called Jesus of Suburbia which is, IMO, brilliant in it's melding of different "songs" together...  stuff like that.

.... NO COLOR ALBUM NAME.  NO.  It's just, boring.  I don't want a Yellow album, purple, orange or plaid.  No thanks.  I also don't want it to be anything that could easily be made into a joke.  For once I think Weezer should take the album artwork in a serious direction.  Especially if it's a rock opera.  Being a "LITTLE" goofy is no big deal, but I think having a jumping dog on the cover and jorge on the cover of Hurley didn't help them really.  Why not just go for the "cool" factor?   Maybe have multiple album covers or something?  Also the name could be something less jokey then "Raditude" or "Hurley."  If they want to be taken seriously.  Pinkerton is a good example, it's the only time they went in that direction.  I know Rivers still thinks Pinkerton did everything wrong, but it did a lot right.  It's a very well respected album now.  They've relied too heavily on the "group" photo and "joke" album covers in recent years.  That's just my opinion of course.  It won't matter at all if the music isn't good anyway.  The music just has to be good.

I think it'd be cool if they did something similar to what Arcade Fire did for The Suburbs...

"The band pressed each completed song to a 12" lacquer, then recorded it back for the digital master of the album."  Vinyl is making a big comeback lately, by doing this they achieved a "vinyl" effect on the sound of the album even on CD.  That's a pretty cool idea.  Although, of course, now it's already been done.

Either way, the rock opera idea does interest me.  Certainly more than just another 10 track album of random songs.  BTW, who says it has to be 10 tracks?  Why not 12 or 14?  That's not that uncommon either.

I've been listening to the new Slash album lately, and Josh Freese kills the drums on all the songs on it but one. So, the concept of Rivers, Brian, and Pat all playing guitar, and Josh on the drums is very appealing to me.
Jordan said:

Scott Alan Perkins said:

Jordan said:

Scott Alan Perkins said:

Jordan said:

Scott Alan Perkins said:

Jordan said:

Jordan said:

Scott Alan Perkins said:

Like they do on tour, yeah. That could be very interesting.

They could do some really neat stuff with three guitars.

I also wouldn't mind hearing Pat sing again. I love his voice, I just didn't really like In The Mall.

Scott Alan Perkins said:

I've been listening to the new Slash album lately, and Josh Freese kills the drums on all the songs on it but one. So, the concept of Rivers, Brian, and Pat all playing guitar, and Josh on the drums is very appealing to me.
Jordan said:

Scott Alan Perkins said:

Jordan said:

Scott Alan Perkins said:

Jordan said:

Scott Alan Perkins said:

Jordan said:

Jordan said:

Scott Alan Perkins said:
That's fantastic

Danielle said:

Jordan said:

Karl would have to be a pirate robot.

Someone said it before, and I'm gonna say it again.

Bass solo!

I just realized I sounded kind of like I was saying, above, that Tragic Girl wasn't good haha.  I didn't mean that.  I freaking LOVE Tragic Girl.  I just meant that longer songs don't necessarily mean good songs.

Also, I counter your bass solo with a DRUM SOLO.  But in a rock opera, you could have both no?

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with having both.

I understood your meaning of Tragic Girl and long songs. I agree with you.

Daniel [bleed0range] said:

I just realized I sounded kind of like I was saying, above, that Tragic Girl wasn't good haha.  I didn't mean that.  I freaking LOVE Tragic Girl.  I just meant that longer songs don't necessarily mean good songs.

Also, I counter your bass solo with a DRUM SOLO.  But in a rock opera, you could have both no?

Yeah, that would be great!

And more vocals would be awesome too, they all have awesome voices!

Trudy Truelove said:

Hmm.. maybe some heavier songs to rock out to and more vocals by Brian, Scott, and Pat. One of the best qualities of Red. :P

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video