1) Memories
2) Ruling Me
3) I Don't Want Your Loving
4) Unspoken
5) Where's My Sex?
6) Run Away
7) Hang On
8) Smart Girls
9) Brave New World
10) Time Flies

Discuss.

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You pretty much slaughtered all my points with reasonable heft, but I'm not so sure that the problem is with post-2000 weezer.  The Green Album is nearly flawless as a punk-pop album and Raditude is nearly flawless as a genre-sampler of late 00's pop, so I don't know, I really don't buy into these present day weezer sucks attitudes.  Kids dig it, and kids are usually a good indicator of what's good and what's not in pop.

Amuro said:

Most of these comments make no sense. Any association of Memories with arcade fire and trainwrecks with Fleetwood Mac just completely looses me. Trainwrecks isn't 'brave enough' because, like memories it's a very simple concept that isn't very introspective and follows a basic formula. This is also how I would describe most weezer songs since 2000. Where's My Sex is pretty much ALL ABOUT the lyrics and the song itself is by far the most generic on the album (though I guess the production is ok). Smart Girls is not the Beatles song they never wrote. It has a very vague similarity to Back in the USSR but in every other way is nothing more than a heavily diluted 'fun' weezer song. 

 

I don't see how Time Flies could be great at the end of a 14 track album, but not at the end of a 10 track album? I think, if you removed Smart Girls, it's a very fitting end to a more thoughtful second half of the album (Run Away, Hang On and Brave New World are brilliant).

 

You say there is a 'problem' with Hurley, but your points don't really make any sense. I would suggest the 'problem' with it is that it is reasonably generic overall, with only some tracks really standing out and moving beyond the simplistic concept that defines most of the tracks. This isn't a problem with Hurley, this is a problem with post-2000 Weezer. Personally, I think Hurley has far more 'stand out' tracks than some past releases and far less low points and so stands up very well with the albums from the past 10 years.

Snickers Snickers said:

In general, something's wrong with Hurley. And I'm not exactly sure what it is. It feels like such a self-conscious decision to please the fans, but there's something nonauthentic about it. Take lead single "Memories", its like the missing song from Arcade Fire's "Funeral", but its lacking something. It's so perfectly constructed but its missing the love. Same with Trainwrecks, which sounds like the greatest song that Fleetwood Mac never wrote. In theory it works, but listening to it, I can't help thinking that it's not brave enough, like Rivers is keeping everything condensed. The other tracks are okay. "Where's My Sex" is a brilliant moment, despite the lazy lyrics. "Smart Girls" is the Beatles song that they never wrote, but it also feels tossed off and its lacking the feeling factor. I'm not sure what to think of Unspoken, except that it sounds like Weezer trying to make an old-school Weezer song. Arguably the only brilliant moment is "Ruling me" where Rivers just let's loose. There's nothing wrong with "Time Flies" except that it feels odd smack at the end of a 10-song affair, at the end of a 14-track album it would make sense, but here, it doesn't feel brilliant, it feels calculated. I don't know why I'm overanalyzing this, this isn't like me, but something really bothers me about this album, especially coming off of the bold and exciting Raditude. I do like "Run Away" it just feels weird on this album, like a slice of realism in the middle of a fat cheesecake. As for "I don't want your loving", I agree, it could have been on this album, but I don't know where it would fit. That's a fine damn good song.
Maybe that's it I'm not so sure.  What bothers me is the songwriting is superb but something about the presentation feels unreal to me, the production values are kind of overbaked.

Scott Alan Perkins said:

I understand completely what you mean by the album lacking something. I do love the album, but feel that it's missing the vintage guitar solos that weezer used on albums like "Make Believe" and "Maladroit". The only guitar solo i hear is on "smart girls", or "represent" on the deluxe version. I'm not sure what songs they would have put guitar solos in, but that is what i think would have helped increase the album also.
Snickers Snickers said:

Yea playing trainwrecks in my head right now sounds really sweet.  Why does it sound so weak on the album though? I can't figure out what's wrong with it.  Production?  Vocals?  I'm losing my mind.

Scott Alan Perkins said:
Hurley would have been that much better with "I don't want your loving" in for trainwrecks, but it's still a really good album with "trainwrecks".

I'm not really sure either, i could see "where's my sex" being a leading single on the radio with Rivers whaling on the guitar, but it doesn't seem like he wrote the music for the songs with guitar solos in mind. No doubt you are right about the album lacking something to put it up there with the weezer great albums.

Snickers Snickers said:

Maybe that's it I'm not so sure.  What bothers me is the songwriting is superb but something about the presentation feels unreal to me, the production values are kind of overbaked.

Scott Alan Perkins said:

I understand completely what you mean by the album lacking something. I do love the album, but feel that it's missing the vintage guitar solos that weezer used on albums like "Make Believe" and "Maladroit". The only guitar solo i hear is on "smart girls", or "represent" on the deluxe version. I'm not sure what songs they would have put guitar solos in, but that is what i think would have helped increase the album also.
Snickers Snickers said:

Yea playing trainwrecks in my head right now sounds really sweet.  Why does it sound so weak on the album though? I can't figure out what's wrong with it.  Production?  Vocals?  I'm losing my mind.

Scott Alan Perkins said:
Hurley would have been that much better with "I don't want your loving" in for trainwrecks, but it's still a really good album with "trainwrecks".
Yea I was upset that there were so many where's my sex haters.  The song is like so energetic and catchy and reminiscent of Joe Jackson and green day and everything cool and for some reason people look at it like a bad joke, which honestly it kind of us, because the lyrics are so one-sided and provincial, and it's like just short of being a classic if it only had something cool to say and some rocking solos.

Scott Alan Perkins said:

I'm not really sure either, i could see "where's my sex" being a leading single on the radio with Rivers whaling on the guitar, but it doesn't seem like he wrote the music for the songs with guitar solos in mind. No doubt you are right about the album lacking something to put it up there with the weezer great albums.

Snickers Snickers said:

Maybe that's it I'm not so sure.  What bothers me is the songwriting is superb but something about the presentation feels unreal to me, the production values are kind of overbaked.

Scott Alan Perkins said:

I understand completely what you mean by the album lacking something. I do love the album, but feel that it's missing the vintage guitar solos that weezer used on albums like "Make Believe" and "Maladroit". The only guitar solo i hear is on "smart girls", or "represent" on the deluxe version. I'm not sure what songs they would have put guitar solos in, but that is what i think would have helped increase the album also.
Snickers Snickers said:

Yea playing trainwrecks in my head right now sounds really sweet.  Why does it sound so weak on the album though? I can't figure out what's wrong with it.  Production?  Vocals?  I'm losing my mind.

Scott Alan Perkins said:
Hurley would have been that much better with "I don't want your loving" in for trainwrecks, but it's still a really good album with "trainwrecks".

I agree. It has a funky bass line in it. Its just one thier great songs the put out try get people to buy the record. the only part i'm not fond of is when they change up the time signature torwards the end. that is where the solo could have been. I can really relate to the song, with the lack of getting laid part. I guess everybody else is getting steady action and don't like it. Lucky people

Snickers Snickers said:

Yea I was upset that there were so many where's my sex haters.  The song is like so energetic and catchy and reminiscent of Joe Jackson and green day and everything cool and for some reason people look at it like a bad joke, which honestly it kind of us, because the lyrics are so one-sided and provincial, and it's like just short of being a classic if it only had something cool to say and some rocking solos.

Scott Alan Perkins said:

I'm not really sure either, i could see "where's my sex" being a leading single on the radio with Rivers whaling on the guitar, but it doesn't seem like he wrote the music for the songs with guitar solos in mind. No doubt you are right about the album lacking something to put it up there with the weezer great albums.

Snickers Snickers said:

Maybe that's it I'm not so sure.  What bothers me is the songwriting is superb but something about the presentation feels unreal to me, the production values are kind of overbaked.

Scott Alan Perkins said:

I understand completely what you mean by the album lacking something. I do love the album, but feel that it's missing the vintage guitar solos that weezer used on albums like "Make Believe" and "Maladroit". The only guitar solo i hear is on "smart girls", or "represent" on the deluxe version. I'm not sure what songs they would have put guitar solos in, but that is what i think would have helped increase the album also.
Snickers Snickers said:

Yea playing trainwrecks in my head right now sounds really sweet.  Why does it sound so weak on the album though? I can't figure out what's wrong with it.  Production?  Vocals?  I'm losing my mind.

Scott Alan Perkins said:
Hurley would have been that much better with "I don't want your loving" in for trainwrecks, but it's still a really good album with "trainwrecks".
I'm by no means a 'new weezer sucks' person (actually, I seem to defend Hurley a lot here over-all). It's just i'm taking your point that something does stop Hurley from being great and saying it's actually in common with all recent releases. I won't comment on Raditude because I just don't like it at all (although I would question it's worth as a genre sampler as I don't think Can't Stop Partying is a good hip hop song or that stuff like I'm Your Daddy reaches the same level as a lot of pop music at the moment). But, while I do enjoy the Green Album, it still has that feeling of something missing. Following your own points about Hurley, I'd suggest it's the production which makes every song sound similar and so, by the end of the album, it already seems to be getting stale. This feeling just isn't there at all on Blue and Pinkerton which keep fresh throughout and even on albums like Red and Hurley the variety really helps keep the album fresh (if only the consistency of the song writing was as high as on Green!)



Snickers Snickers said:
You pretty much slaughtered all my points with reasonable heft, but I'm not so sure that the problem is with post-2000 weezer.  The Green Album is nearly flawless as a punk-pop album and Raditude is nearly flawless as a genre-sampler of late 00's pop, so I don't know, I really don't buy into these present day weezer sucks attitudes.  Kids dig it, and kids are usually a good indicator of what's good and what's not in pop.

Amuro said:

Most of these comments make no sense. Any association of Memories with arcade fire and trainwrecks with Fleetwood Mac just completely looses me. Trainwrecks isn't 'brave enough' because, like memories it's a very simple concept that isn't very introspective and follows a basic formula. This is also how I would describe most weezer songs since 2000. Where's My Sex is pretty much ALL ABOUT the lyrics and the song itself is by far the most generic on the album (though I guess the production is ok). Smart Girls is not the Beatles song they never wrote. It has a very vague similarity to Back in the USSR but in every other way is nothing more than a heavily diluted 'fun' weezer song. 

 

I don't see how Time Flies could be great at the end of a 14 track album, but not at the end of a 10 track album? I think, if you removed Smart Girls, it's a very fitting end to a more thoughtful second half of the album (Run Away, Hang On and Brave New World are brilliant).

 

You say there is a 'problem' with Hurley, but your points don't really make any sense. I would suggest the 'problem' with it is that it is reasonably generic overall, with only some tracks really standing out and moving beyond the simplistic concept that defines most of the tracks. This isn't a problem with Hurley, this is a problem with post-2000 Weezer. Personally, I think Hurley has far more 'stand out' tracks than some past releases and far less low points and so stands up very well with the albums from the past 10 years.

Snickers Snickers said:

In general, something's wrong with Hurley. And I'm not exactly sure what it is. It feels like such a self-conscious decision to please the fans, but there's something nonauthentic about it. Take lead single "Memories", its like the missing song from Arcade Fire's "Funeral", but its lacking something. It's so perfectly constructed but its missing the love. Same with Trainwrecks, which sounds like the greatest song that Fleetwood Mac never wrote. In theory it works, but listening to it, I can't help thinking that it's not brave enough, like Rivers is keeping everything condensed. The other tracks are okay. "Where's My Sex" is a brilliant moment, despite the lazy lyrics. "Smart Girls" is the Beatles song that they never wrote, but it also feels tossed off and its lacking the feeling factor. I'm not sure what to think of Unspoken, except that it sounds like Weezer trying to make an old-school Weezer song. Arguably the only brilliant moment is "Ruling me" where Rivers just let's loose. There's nothing wrong with "Time Flies" except that it feels odd smack at the end of a 10-song affair, at the end of a 14-track album it would make sense, but here, it doesn't feel brilliant, it feels calculated. I don't know why I'm overanalyzing this, this isn't like me, but something really bothers me about this album, especially coming off of the bold and exciting Raditude. I do like "Run Away" it just feels weird on this album, like a slice of realism in the middle of a fat cheesecake. As for "I don't want your loving", I agree, it could have been on this album, but I don't know where it would fit. That's a fine damn good song.

1. Tired of Sex

2. Getchoo

3. No Other One

4. Why Bother?

5. Across the Sea

6. The Good Life

7. El Scorcho

8. Pink Triangle

9. Falling for You

10. Butterfly

 

Hurlee cud hahv beehn dis thihnk abuut it guyz if Rivarz had waiited until 2010 tew releez these songz an he cuud hahv cahled it Hurlee.

Did someone forget to eat his Wheaties this morning?

Radioactive said:

1. Tired of Sex

2. Getchoo

3. No Other One

4. Why Bother?

5. Across the Sea

6. The Good Life

7. El Scorcho

8. Pink Triangle

9. Falling for You

10. Butterfly

 

Hurlee cud hahv beehn dis thihnk abuut it guyz if Rivarz had waiited until 2010 tew releez these songz an he cuud hahv cahled it Hurlee.

actually "I don't want your loving" should replace "Brave New World"


Ain't nothing wrong with that.
Snickers Snickers said:

In general, something's wrong with Hurley. And I'm not exactly sure what it is. It feels like such a self-conscious decision to please the fans, but there's something nonauthentic about it. Take lead single "Memories", its like the missing song from Arcade Fire's "Funeral", but its lacking something. It's so perfectly constructed but its missing the love. Same with Trainwrecks, which sounds like the greatest song that Fleetwood Mac never wrote. In theory it works, but listening to it, I can't help thinking that it's not brave enough, like Rivers is keeping everything condensed. The other tracks are okay. "Where's My Sex" is a brilliant moment, despite the lazy lyrics. "Smart Girls" is the Beatles song that they never wrote, but it also feels tossed off and its lacking the feeling factor. I'm not sure what to think of Unspoken, except that it sounds like Weezer trying to make an old-school Weezer song. Arguably the only brilliant moment is "Ruling me" where Rivers just let's loose. There's nothing wrong with "Time Flies" except that it feels odd smack at the end of a 10-song affair, at the end of a 14-track album it would make sense, but here, it doesn't feel brilliant, it feels calculated. I don't know why I'm overanalyzing this, this isn't like me, but something really bothers me about this album, especially coming off of the bold and exciting Raditude. I do like "Run Away" it just feels weird on this album, like a slice of realism in the middle of a fat cheesecake. As for "I don't want your loving", I agree, it could have been on this album, but I don't know where it would fit. That's a fine damn good song.

I agree with a lot of your points, although I'm more inclined to defend Raditude. You mention the "production" of Hurley resulting in it sounding sonically similar throughout. I think another compounding issue is that most of the songs are straight 4/4 and undynamic. They start in mezzoforte and end that way. The few exceptions being Unspoken (which I agree with Snickers sounds like Weezer trying to be old school Weezer, but without the heart or wit (second part was my adding, not sure if he agrees)) and the non sequitur  section in Where's My Sex which is a nice little curveball on what is generally considered the worst song on the album.

 

At least some of the tunes on Raditude mixed it up a bit more: the swing rhythm on Girl Got Hot and Trippin', the sparse accompaniment and subsequent build up during Lil Wayne's part, the accapella section during If You're Wondering, etc. These little tricks have always been part of the Weezer oeuvre and are seemingly lacking on Hurley. Which is unfortunate because there are some really strong blueprints for songs there. 

Amuro said:

I'm by no means a 'new weezer sucks' person (actually, I seem to defend Hurley a lot here over-all). It's just i'm taking your point that something does stop Hurley from being great and saying it's actually in common with all recent releases. I won't comment on Raditude because I just don't like it at all (although I would question it's worth as a genre sampler as I don't think Can't Stop Partying is a good hip hop song or that stuff like I'm Your Daddy reaches the same level as a lot of pop music at the moment). But, while I do enjoy the Green Album, it still has that feeling of something missing. Following your own points about Hurley, I'd suggest it's the production which makes every song sound similar and so, by the end of the album, it already seems to be getting stale. This feeling just isn't there at all on Blue and Pinkerton which keep fresh throughout and even on albums like Red and Hurley the variety really helps keep the album fresh (if only the consistency of the song writing was as high as on Green!)



Snickers Snickers said:
You pretty much slaughtered all my points with reasonable heft, but I'm not so sure that the problem is with post-2000 weezer.  The Green Album is nearly flawless as a punk-pop album and Raditude is nearly flawless as a genre-sampler of late 00's pop, so I don't know, I really don't buy into these present day weezer sucks attitudes.  Kids dig it, and kids are usually a good indicator of what's good and what's not in pop.

Which track is hated?

Amuro said:

So you leave on the track which is pretty much universally hated and replace a song that's had a reasonably moderate response with a song that is widely considered one of the weaker DTFM tracks?!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

  • Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Offline

Live Video