8) Smart Girls
9) Brave New World
10) Time Flies

Discuss.

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok. As long as they put trainwrecks of dtfm 
So you leave on the track which is pretty much universally hated and replace a song that's had a reasonably moderate response with a song that is widely considered one of the weaker DTFM tracks?!
In general, something's wrong with Hurley. And I'm not exactly sure what it is. It feels like such a self-conscious decision to please the fans, but there's something nonauthentic about it. Take lead single "Memories", its like the missing song from Arcade Fire's "Funeral", but its lacking something. It's so perfectly constructed but its missing the love. Same with Trainwrecks, which sounds like the greatest song that Fleetwood Mac never wrote. In theory it works, but listening to it, I can't help thinking that it's not brave enough, like Rivers is keeping everything condensed. The other tracks are okay. "Where's My Sex" is a brilliant moment, despite the lazy lyrics. "Smart Girls" is the Beatles song that they never wrote, but it also feels tossed off and its lacking the feeling factor. I'm not sure what to think of Unspoken, except that it sounds like Weezer trying to make an old-school Weezer song. Arguably the only brilliant moment is "Ruling me" where Rivers just let's loose. There's nothing wrong with "Time Flies" except that it feels odd smack at the end of a 10-song affair, at the end of a 14-track album it would make sense, but here, it doesn't feel brilliant, it feels calculated. I don't know why I'm overanalyzing this, this isn't like me, but something really bothers me about this album, especially coming off of the bold and exciting Raditude. I do like "Run Away" it just feels weird on this album, like a slice of realism in the middle of a fat cheesecake. As for "I don't want your loving", I agree, it could have been on this album, but I don't know where it would fit. That's a fine damn good song.
"Trainwrecks" is arguably the best song on Hurley. They're all brilliant. I'd say Hurley is on the same level as the Blue album, just below the Red album and Pinkerton.
Hurley would have been that much better with "I don't want your loving" in for trainwrecks, but it's still a really good album with "trainwrecks".
Yea playing trainwrecks in my head right now sounds really sweet.  Why does it sound so weak on the album though? I can't figure out what's wrong with it.  Production?  Vocals?  I'm losing my mind.

Scott Alan Perkins said:
Hurley would have been that much better with "I don't want your loving" in for trainwrecks, but it's still a really good album with "trainwrecks".

Most of these comments make no sense. Any association of Memories with arcade fire and trainwrecks with Fleetwood Mac just completely looses me. Trainwrecks isn't 'brave enough' because, like memories it's a very simple concept that isn't very introspective and follows a basic formula. This is also how I would describe most weezer songs since 2000. Where's My Sex is pretty much ALL ABOUT the lyrics and the song itself is by far the most generic on the album (though I guess the production is ok). Smart Girls is not the Beatles song they never wrote. It has a very vague similarity to Back in the USSR but in every other way is nothing more than a heavily diluted 'fun' weezer song. 

I don't see how Time Flies could be great at the end of a 14 track album, but not at the end of a 10 track album? I think, if you removed Smart Girls, it's a very fitting end to a more thoughtful second half of the album (Run Away, Hang On and Brave New World are brilliant).

You say there is a 'problem' with Hurley, but your points don't really make any sense. I would suggest the 'problem' with it is that it is reasonably generic overall, with only some tracks really standing out and moving beyond the simplistic concept that defines most of the tracks. This isn't a problem with Hurley, this is a problem with post-2000 Weezer. Personally, I think Hurley has far more 'stand out' tracks than some past releases and far less low points and so stands up very well with the albums from the past 10 years.

Snickers Snickers said:

In general, something's wrong with Hurley. And I'm not exactly sure what it is. It feels like such a self-conscious decision to please the fans, but there's something nonauthentic about it. Take lead single "Memories", its like the missing song from Arcade Fire's "Funeral", but its lacking something. It's so perfectly constructed but its missing the love. Same with Trainwrecks, which sounds like the greatest song that Fleetwood Mac never wrote. In theory it works, but listening to it, I can't help thinking that it's not brave enough, like Rivers is keeping everything condensed. The other tracks are okay. "Where's My Sex" is a brilliant moment, despite the lazy lyrics. "Smart Girls" is the Beatles song that they never wrote, but it also feels tossed off and its lacking the feeling factor. I'm not sure what to think of Unspoken, except that it sounds like Weezer trying to make an old-school Weezer song. Arguably the only brilliant moment is "Ruling me" where Rivers just let's loose. There's nothing wrong with "Time Flies" except that it feels odd smack at the end of a 10-song affair, at the end of a 14-track album it would make sense, but here, it doesn't feel brilliant, it feels calculated. I don't know why I'm overanalyzing this, this isn't like me, but something really bothers me about this album, especially coming off of the bold and exciting Raditude. I do like "Run Away" it just feels weird on this album, like a slice of realism in the middle of a fat cheesecake. As for "I don't want your loving", I agree, it could have been on this album, but I don't know where it would fit. That's a fine damn good song.

Scott Alan Perkins said:

That's where I was getting at.  LOL to dreWid with the comment, but in all seriousness, IDWYL would've been an excellent follow-up song to Ruling Me given what is being talked about in the songs.  I also feel like it would've led very nicely into a song like Unspoken.

IDWYL is a very "blue" feeling song; Trainwrecks just feels out of place.  Trainwrecks would've actually been a lot better on an album like DTFM because there's no real continuity to that album. 

yeah i realized that after i wrote. You are absolutely right on this subject.

Dan M. said:

Scott Alan Perkins said:

That's where I was getting at.  LOL to dreWid with the comment, but in all seriousness, IDWYL would've been an excellent follow-up song to Ruling Me given what is being talked about in the songs.  I also feel like it would've led very nicely into a song like Unspoken.

IDWYL is a very "blue" feeling song; Trainwrecks just feels out of place.  Trainwrecks would've actually been a lot better on an album like DTFM because there's no real continuity to that album. 

"Where's My Sex?" was album-worthy in every way, but I kinda wish it were on a less serious album like Raditude.  The rest of Hurley is very heartfelt and sincere.  But it's still a great song.

I understand completely what you mean by the album lacking something. I do love the album, but feel that it's missing the vintage guitar solos that weezer used on albums like "Make Believe" and "Maladroit". The only guitar solo i hear is on "smart girls", or "represent" on the deluxe version. I'm not sure what songs they would have put guitar solos in, but that is what i think would have helped increase the album also.
Snickers Snickers said:

Yea playing trainwrecks in my head right now sounds really sweet.  Why does it sound so weak on the album though? I can't figure out what's wrong with it.  Production?  Vocals?  I'm losing my mind.

Scott Alan Perkins said:

Very good point on IDWYL being a nice thematic follow up to Ruling Me and, i agree, Trainwrecks does seem like a differant sound to the rest of the early part of the album.

Dan M. said:

Scott Alan Perkins said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video