I'm sure we are all aware of weezer's sales record for the past few albums.

While they say they come to expect it, I think there's a few things that if corrected maybe they'd be selling a bit more.

1. The amount of output.

Yes rivers, we do love getting a lot of material and as much as possible. Thing is when you put an album out every year there's less time to promote each album.  I remember being on twitter once and someone said " I just heard weezer's new single"... Guess what song it was. If your wondering If I want you to.

This was pretty recent to, when hurley was out.

Albums are coming out so frequently now that people probably don't even realize there's a new release already.

Make believe had years to promote, you guys did a cover story for it, interviews, press, singles were released immediately with music videos not far behind. Not to mention a lengthy tour where you played a good amount of the album.

Rivers recently did an interview with guitar center saying he's throwing ideas around, maybe doing a really special album or going a singles release route.

It would be a shame to send out a song every so often instead of getting a physical album.

I think if weezer just got together and worked on an album, didn't release it right away but did a lot of press for it would help a lot.  Maybe 2 or 3 years instead of 1.

I think sprinkling side projects in between a big album is probably the best of both worlds for the band. Release a song every so often but keep working on an album set for release in a few years.

So does anyone think it's the market change or maybe how they approach marketing that is causing less sales?

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Even though this post was in reply to whether Weezer should release more albums or not in the RUMOR! NO MORE ALBUMS! thread... (specifically to Scott's post in there)... I think it also relates to their sales in a way, so I would like to quote myself:

Singles are not the answer.  Albums are where it's at, being able to listen to something as a whole, as a piece, it's much more rewarding.  I know the industry today sucks, but in all honesty if an album is truly good as an album it will still do well.  And people will take notice if it's something substantial.  Did Arcade Fire not just receive album of the year at the Grammys?  Why do you think that was? "Two weeks after winning Album of the Year, the album jumped from No. 52 to No. 12 on the Billboard 200."  See? Even if it doesn't do well at first, doing something that is art could have you winding up with awards and accolades that could perpetuate it to higher sales.

You have to give people a reason to want to hear it AS AN ALBUM for them to want to buy the album instead of the catchiest song.  Weezer needs to be more ambitious.

Once again, you gotta ask yourselves if you believe Weezer has been doing their absolute best work or if you believe you guys could one up yourselves and create something even better.  That's why I think ambition is good and needed. 

I think the idea of just releasing singles and maybe an EP or something is kind of a let down. Honestly.  I can't get nearly as excited or into the releases.  Even the best song ever is still just one song, however it could live and breathe with-in the confines of a bigger picture.

I agree completely Bleed.

You want an album to sell this day in age. Get it out there, don't wait on releasing singles and videos, promote the s*** out of it, make it something truly special.

Sometimes it does seem like it's near impossible to sell albums these days but it is possible, you just have to prove something. You have to make it known.

You can't sit back and hope people will find it.

I never said it is easier to sell an album than back in the day because it isn't.

It just means you have to try harder do an album that wows people, do something new or really ambitious and promote it just as that. Make people WANT it. Get on magazine covers that matter..etc

I think it's definitely the marketing. Weezer is terrible at release dates for singles and videos.
Think about Raditude, most hardcore Weezer fans loathe it, right? But can you imagine what sales on it would be if they promoted the hell out of it? A ton of mainstream-lovers would buy it, and love it. Can you imagine if Can't Stop Partying was a single? It would of definitely promoted sales.

Staying relevant is not a legacy.  A legacy is creating something of worth to be remembered.  That's why I keep pushing the idea of "substantial" releases and not just "noise" to stay relevant.  That's not to say singles wouldn't be good or anything, but I think there can be a higher road taken with their approach to their "legacy." And staying relevant is really only good if the relevancy is of a positive nature.  Weezer's currently relevant in the fact that a lot of people notice the goofy album covers and such.  But the focus has not bee on the music as much as those things.  Where was the buzz on Hurley?  Just on the cover.  Not on the music itself, by and large.

I believe you are right, that primarily the market is biggest when it comes to Pop/club music.  However, Weezer should concentrate on WHY they are a big name in the first place and not try to just copycat the trends.  I am in my mid twenties and I still prefer alternative rock music.  There are people who still love it, especially if something really good to listen to actually comes out.

Foo Fighters are still on top of their game because they focus on what they are good at.  I respect Weezer exploring other genre ideas and such, but I feel like Rivers approach has been to garner some of that success of the big pop acts you mentioned.  When I think that would be better suited as a side project or a solo project.  Which is what I now think he is doing.

Rivers will probably forever see Pinkerton as a failure, despite the fact that it was the most artistic the band ever got in terms of creating something of actual substance.  Big deal it didn't sell 800,000,000 albums.  It's something to be proud of in it's bravery and approach... it's art and is remembered today as one of the biggest pieces of their legacy.  I know Rivers saw that himself during the Memories Pinkerton nights. 

Matthew Pietsch said:

I think the market is totally changed when I was young we had Weezer and nirvana at the top of our list.  the newer generation is into club music, Black eye peas, little wayne, and ke$ha.  Then you got all the people in my age bracket which is early 30's or so who are now raising families and their music tastes have changed from grunge to friggen Barney or wiggles.  Weezers albums take awhile to sink in also, thats why Pinkerton took 10 years or so to catch on.  Weezer is doing there best to stay relevant in this market as they should since this is their legacy.

I loved all this especially. Couldn't of said it better. There are still some rock acts that are doing real well. They are doing well because they are being true to their beginning and fans. With Green Day they took an ambitious route by doing a rock opera " American Idiot" which sold millions. Even there latest rock opera I believe went Gold.

No one is saying we want a blue and pinkerton copy, we just want an album that truly sounds like weezer while being more ambitious and shows people... Okay this is why weezer is a goddamn awesome rock band.

Pinkerton sums that up nicely with it's madame butterfly concept and songs that seem to be pages in a book.

"I believe you are right, that primarily the market is biggest when it comes to Pop/club music.  However, Weezer should concentrate on WHY they are a big name in the first place and not try to just copycat the trends.  I am in my mid twenties and I still prefer alternative rock music.  There are people who still love it, especially if something really good to listen to actually comes out.

Foo Fighters are still on top of their game because they focus on what they are good at.  I respect Weezer exploring other genre ideas and such, but I feel like Rivers approach has been to garner some of that success of the big pop acts you mentioned.  When I think that would be better suited as a side project or a solo project.  Which is what I now think he is doing."

Agreed

Daniel [bleed0range] said:

Staying relevant is not a legacy.  A legacy is creating something of worth to be remembered.  That's why I keep pushing the idea of "substantial" releases and not just "noise" to stay relevant.  That's not to say singles wouldn't be good or anything, but I think there can be a higher road taken with their approach to their "legacy." And staying relevant is really only good if the relevancy is of a positive nature.  Weezer's currently relevant in the fact that a lot of people notice the goofy album covers and such.  But the focus has not bee on the music as much as those things.  Where was the buzz on Hurley?  Just on the cover.  Not on the music itself, by and large.

I believe you are right, that primarily the market is biggest when it comes to Pop/club music.  However, Weezer should concentrate on WHY they are a big name in the first place and not try to just copycat the trends.  I am in my mid twenties and I still prefer alternative rock music.  There are people who still love it, especially if something really good to listen to actually comes out.

Foo Fighters are still on top of their game because they focus on what they are good at.  I respect Weezer exploring other genre ideas and such, but I feel like Rivers approach has been to garner some of that success of the big pop acts you mentioned.  When I think that would be better suited as a side project or a solo project.  Which is what I now think he is doing.

Rivers will probably forever see Pinkerton as a failure, despite the fact that it was the most artistic the band ever got in terms of creating something of actual substance.  Big deal it didn't sell 800,000,000 albums.  It's something to be proud of in it's bravery and approach... it's art and is remembered today as one of the biggest pieces of their legacy.  I know Rivers saw that himself during the Memories Pinkerton nights. 

Matthew Pietsch said:

I think the market is totally changed when I was young we had Weezer and nirvana at the top of our list.  the newer generation is into club music, Black eye peas, little wayne, and ke$ha.  Then you got all the people in my age bracket which is early 30's or so who are now raising families and their music tastes have changed from grunge to friggen Barney or wiggles.  Weezers albums take awhile to sink in also, thats why Pinkerton took 10 years or so to catch on.  Weezer is doing there best to stay relevant in this market as they should since this is their legacy.
What they need to do is start doing hip-hop. Yeah. 
Mega sigh.

The dreWid said:
What they need to do is start doing hip-hop. Yeah. 
As much as i have loved the revent explosion of Weezer albums tehy definetly need to work on promotion. There was almost no promotion for Hurley and its a shame cause its their best album of the last 3 (my second fav of all time). So #1: PROMOTE YOUR STUFF!!!!!
A lot of good points, esp re: promotion. In the meantime, while they sort out their promoting issues, there will always be people like me, double buying albums because I realize the UK or Japan version has songs not on the US release haha

Promotion has been a big factor... they definitely need to work on promoting the next album better.  However, it's not the only factor.

Weezer have been giving off an impression of "giving up" on their second/third singles off the last three albums.  More so on the last two. I know that we didn't get an awesome Greatest Man video because of $$$ issues... too much apparently.  Should have happened though. But I don't know what happened with the second single of Raditude.  I honestly am not even sure what the other singles were.  With Hurley we have a second single but I haven't really heard of much radio play on it and that music video for it still hasn't come out.

In any case, this gives the impression to the consumer that the band or label has given up on the record early after a strong initial start on it with promotion.  It also gives the public a chance to forget about the record as promotion falls off and no other singles or music videos are out there getting attention.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video