I'm sure we are all aware of weezer's sales record for the past few albums.

While they say they come to expect it, I think there's a few things that if corrected maybe they'd be selling a bit more.

1. The amount of output.

Yes rivers, we do love getting a lot of material and as much as possible. Thing is when you put an album out every year there's less time to promote each album.  I remember being on twitter once and someone said " I just heard weezer's new single"... Guess what song it was. If your wondering If I want you to.

This was pretty recent to, when hurley was out.

Albums are coming out so frequently now that people probably don't even realize there's a new release already.

Make believe had years to promote, you guys did a cover story for it, interviews, press, singles were released immediately with music videos not far behind. Not to mention a lengthy tour where you played a good amount of the album.

Rivers recently did an interview with guitar center saying he's throwing ideas around, maybe doing a really special album or going a singles release route.

It would be a shame to send out a song every so often instead of getting a physical album.

I think if weezer just got together and worked on an album, didn't release it right away but did a lot of press for it would help a lot.  Maybe 2 or 3 years instead of 1.

I think sprinkling side projects in between a big album is probably the best of both worlds for the band. Release a song every so often but keep working on an album set for release in a few years.

So does anyone think it's the market change or maybe how they approach marketing that is causing less sales?

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

lol i bought hurley twice just because the case for the first one broke and i needed a lame excuse to get another one :)

Cherrie said:
A lot of good points, esp re: promotion. In the meantime, while they sort out their promoting issues, there will always be people like me, double buying albums because I realize the UK or Japan version has songs not on the US release haha
i mean... wow.  but on a similar note i bought hurley on cd deluxe and red vinyl.  that's devotion.

America said:
lol i bought hurley twice just because the case for the first one broke and i needed a lame excuse to get another one :)

Cherrie said:
A lot of good points, esp re: promotion. In the meantime, while they sort out their promoting issues, there will always be people like me, double buying albums because I realize the UK or Japan version has songs not on the US release haha
That's all they need really: more promotion.

Think about it:
with more promotion, Raditude could have easily been as successful as Make Believe.

And it's all a snowball effect really... if you get a #1 album and/or #1 singles, people will look into the band and see all their other great stuff which increases sales.
Increased sales means more money, which can be used to promote future albums and be able to afford music videos to go with the singles. And so it repeats..
Promotion easily pays itself off, so I don't understand why there is so little of it.

Even with more promotion I don't think Raditude would have ever been as successful as Make Believe was.  Make Believe had a hit single which helped it, Rad did not.  You can debate about whether or not you think CSP would have been a hit just because it had lil wayne in it, but that doesn't really mean it would have.  Honestly, I like the kind of music that CSP was trying to cater to and I thought the song worked better as an acoustic demo on Alone 2 then the club/party motif they were trying to shoot for with it.  I don't think it would have achieved success on that level even if it had been a single.

But you know what.  I would have at least made it a single to see if it would have.  They didn't even really try to push that angle or the fact they had Lil Wayne on it when to me, that seemed like a given.

Aus Untoured Since '96 said:

That's all they need really: more promotion.

Think about it:
with more promotion, Raditude could have easily been as successful as Make Believe.

And it's all a snowball effect really... if you get a #1 album and/or #1 singles, people will look into the band and see all their other great stuff which increases sales.
Increased sales means more money, which can be used to promote future albums and be able to afford music videos to go with the singles. And so it repeats..
Promotion easily pays itself off, so I don't understand why there is so little of it.

Raditude I don't think would of done well, even if promoted better. It got poor reviews and was a laughing stock because weezer did a lot of moves that are very unpopular.

Lil wayne, all the co-writes, a whole change in musical style...etc. 

The thing about Lady gaga is she was always about pop. If she suddenly was like..." I want to make a rock album" I am willing to bet it wouldn't do well, people should stick to doing what they do best. If you want to do a different style, do a side project, people would be more willing to accept it.

Hell I'd def check out a pop record done by rivers but I still want to hear a more ambitious rock effort from weezer at the same time.

I was thinking today of ways to help an album sell better.

Obviously it has to be a good album.

How about little additions that would make people not want to download it but have it in there hands instead?
I mean I'm sure we are all gonna pick up pinkerton diaries not only because of alone 3 but the book it comes with. Why would I download that if I'm gonna miss out on something so cool?

Unfortunately the pinkerton diaries is a smaller market item.

Now lets say they did a rock opera, concept album...something of importance. If they promote it a lot, I mean before it's even near release, talk about it in every magazine etc....That would help the press build up to it, make sure people know about it.

Now imagine if that album was bundled with something, maybe a small book that has the story. Like what if Songs from the black h*** had a diary with it, depicting the expedition. It would be a cool little thing to read and only help the final package.

Just things to think about..

**serious reply**

I don't disagree with including a booklet of some sort to make the physical album more appealing. My problem is that physical albums are expensive enough as it is, adding a book/t-shirt/DVD usually adds even more to the price. Remind me again why I'm paying $15 for something that costs not even a penny?

**end serious reply**

Daniel Gasparini ( Danorganplaye said:

How about little additions that would make people not want to download it but have it in there hands instead?
I mean I'm sure we are all gonna pick up pinkerton diaries not only because of alone 3 but the book it comes with. Why would I download that if I'm gonna miss out on something so cool?

Now lets say they did a rock opera, concept album...something of importance. If they promote it a lot, I mean before it's even near release, talk about it in every magazine etc....That would help the press build up to it, make sure people know about it.

Now imagine if that album was bundled with something, maybe a small book that has the story. Like what if Songs from the black h*** had a diary with it, depicting the expedition. It would be a cool little thing to read and only help the final package.

Yeah but in this day in age it's not worth it if all you're getting is the CD.  I could just download the album and burn it to a CD right?  Giving me something I cannot just "get" myself makes the value of the product more worth my while.

For example, if they actually end up releasing a musica/rock opera... it could come with a little booklet in the digipack or whatever that has the story written out like a mini novel with character bios and artwork associated with "scenes" from the story as well as pictures of the band as they were recording it, etc.  Maybe even a little section where Rivers explains the songs like on Red and the Alone series.  I know they didn't do that on the past two albums and guess what.  I was mega dissapointed.  Hurley felt like a rip off in a way because after all the cool stuff included with the Alone series and then the Red album... well, then I got almost nothing.  Not even lyrics.  That's lame.  It was lame when they did it in the early 2000s as well but that was before times changed and expectations changed because of what we got with other releases.

Ben Folds' new album comes with a mini book of short stories because he co-wrote the thing with a famous author.  Again, giving incentive to actually buy the album. 

spaz said:

**serious reply**

I don't disagree with including a booklet of some sort to make the physical album more appealing. My problem is that physical albums are expensive enough as it is, adding a book/t-shirt/DVD usually adds even more to the price. Remind me again why I'm paying $15 for something that costs not even a penny?

**end serious reply**

Daniel Gasparini ( Danorganplaye said:

that was the biggest waste of a tax refund as I ever had

Matthew Pietsch said:

I think you may be on to something the rentals did the year long "songs about time" project which was cd's dvds photos and they are even hinting at doing it again in barcelona or some other city.  So maybe the m,ultimedia project actually worked well.  I do know it is expensive as hell to buy.  But it was an epic idea for a project from an artistic standpoint.  That year must have been busy for them to do all that.

That being said however I am sure the rentals don't have the bar set as high as weezer do as far as sales go.  They are a less popular group.

Yes; these days, you really need a good incentive to buy the physical album...there are very few new artists' albums that I actually buy vs download these days (Weezer being practically the only one where I make sure I have the tangible article in my hot little hands)--I think you are right regarding having that narrative, that "story" for people to really get into is very important. Also, when it becomes more of a collector's item/or art, its intrinsic value of of being an object you want to own goes up. Another great example is the recent King of Limbs "newspaper" package from Radiohead-- I mean what a fantastic idea! You were able to buy now which included an immediate download (to satiate that instant gratification we are so trained to crave these days) but then you will have an amazing package of goodies--including the real CD--coming your way down the road?? I know I bought it right away. It's a great model to follow (albeit a little expensive maybe for the regular consumer, but there is a good middle ground to be had).
Well, it WAS the Rentals. 

spaz said:
that was the biggest waste of a tax refund as I ever had

Matthew Pietsch said:

I think you may be on to something the rentals did the year long "songs about time" project which was cd's dvds photos and they are even hinting at doing it again in barcelona or some other city.  So maybe the m,ultimedia project actually worked well.  I do know it is expensive as hell to buy.  But it was an epic idea for a project from an artistic standpoint.  That year must have been busy for them to do all that.

That being said however I am sure the rentals don't have the bar set as high as weezer do as far as sales go.  They are a less popular group.

Okay, so I don't get why people don't buy the physical album in the first place, but maybe I'm old school. I love driving to the store to buy the CD, stripping off the plastic wrap and listening to it as soon as I get in the car, then getting out the booklet and poring over it once I get home. Then again, I'm not as immersed in technology as a lot of my peers seem to be. 

I'm going to agree with you guys that their promotion has seemed a little sporadic. Yes, I liked CSP a lot better on Alone, but I have friends who are into pop, and they introduced me to the Lil Wayne version, and they loved it. I think they missed out by not making it a single. Then all these albums came out back to back, when I was used to waiting years between releases. I feel like I've spent a lot less time with each of the newer albums because before the songs have had time to sink in, I'm on to something else. 

My honest opinion is that Weezer should stop worrying so much about what's going to sell and just write music. It's that simple. What it really amounts to is: What's your end game? Are you trying to sell records, or are you trying to be an artist?

The way I look at it, anyone that can write something like Pinkerton has a responsibility to society to keep producing music of that caliber. We are inundated with frivolous, catchy pop tracks, and yet there is a dearth of genuine heartfelt, profound artistic expression available to the public. I mean, it all boils down to the existential question about our purpose, right? We have a responsibility to our personal truth. We're supposed to find out who we are, and then be that intentionally. Everything else is just noise. That noise may sell more records, but where's the lasting value in that? Rivers and Weezer have a chance to do something spectacular, to keep writing music that will influence generations, to carve out a place for themselves in music's history. I don't see why that goal is being abandoned in the interest of higher record sales and appeasing the masses (I mean, come on. These are the same idiots who are watching Charlie Sheen on twitter!)

That's not to say I don't appreciate albums besides Pinkerton. Not every album can be that heavy. I just cringe a little inside when I hear songs like Weezer do songs like "Magic" or the State Farm jingle. I really admire and respect Rivers, and watching him do these things, ostensibly for money? It feels a little degrading.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video