After listening to Hurley I was a little disapointed that there weren't many guitar solos. Only one, in Smart Girls, and it was really good. So why don't they do more? The Green album was the same deal.

Here is a list of weezer's best solo's in my opinion:

1. Devotion - I don't think the song is great but the solo is amazing, the best

2. Say it ain't so - i think everyone can agree with this one

3. Tired of Sex- insanely awesome!

4. Pink Triangle- strangest and darkest guitar solo I ever heard

5. Lets Sew our pants together - their old style was so great

6. Theif You've taken all that was me - if you haven't heard it look it up

also Maladroit has some sick solo's!

What do you think?

Views: 837

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, couldn't agree with you more on this!

I was diggin' some of the left-hand turns on Red Album with the hip hop and weird song structures and ballsy lyrics and stuff, but was sad that there weren't many solos. Then there were almost NONE on Raditude and Hurley. I hated it!

To me, the guitar solos are one of Weezer's KEY elements- Rivers makes some of my favorite melodies ever, in his singing and in his lead guitar. They almost always stand out in the songs and are a real highlight. Because it is such a glaring break with the past, I have a hard time getting into Hurley, to be honest. Although I don't think it's just the solos, but that's the first major problem I think of. I'm listening to the Pinkerton B-Sides and Death to False Metal a lot more than Hurley right now....

I have a hard time picking a favorite because they are all so stellar- he is really good at them, they never overstay their welcome.

I agree with most of the ones mentioned (Blue and Pinkerton are flawless, especially "Pink Triangle" and "Say It Ain't So"... anytime everyone sings along to a guitar solo at a concert, you know you've done well) so I'll go ahead and mention "Perfect Situation" as one of the last greats.
Anyone else have love for the Mykel and Carli solo? I love how it starts with the "Hear you me" melody and then diverges upward resolving at the root. Short but sweet.
Everyone from DTFM has a pretty awesome solo that just comes out of nowhere
I'm liking all the "In the Garage" love. That is a great solo (play it every time I pick up my electric). Besides that, I would go with "No One Else" (Not exactly a "solo," but the guitar harmonies are unreal), "Tired of Sex," and "Undone."
On the topic of Weezer guitar solos, Does anyone else find it odd/hilarious that post green/pre maladroit Rivers kept using the same green style vocal solos?

Like for the demo of December, or burnt jamb, listen up etc.

Was Rivers stuck in this weird mode? Did he intend to continue on with this trend?

Anyhow, Favorite Vocal line solo has to be Starlight, because the harmony is really loud, and it kind of mashes, and kind of sounds a little ugly to boot. "Dooo-wah."

D
what about Buddy Holly? a pretty yummy solo. El Scorcho has a enjoyable solo. I for sure agree with Say it Ain't so. Thats a high quality solo. I also enjoy Where is my Sex? thats a  nice solo

Vocal melody guitar solos can work when need be; Jamie, YGYLTMS, YWGWMT for example.  But a whole album of them is a bit insane.  

I love most solos though.  Tired of Sex and Getchoo's solos are incredible. 

I think Island in the Sun was the only song on Green that could've really benefited from a vocal melody solo, all the others really stunted the growth of what would otherwise be pretty great songs (O Girlfriend being a prime example, I think it was the 2002 Toronto boot that had a reworked solo that just elevated the song into a new level).

From memory, I don't think there are any solos from the nineties that really don't deserve the "best of Weezer" cut. Some of my favourite Weezer solos from the noughties are within I'm a Robot (I listened to this a few times yesterday and I can't believe how insanely melodic the solo is, one of the catchiest Rivers has ever written in my opinion), Perfect Situation, the aforementioned 2002 Toronto O Girlfriend performance and the second half of the 01-07 version of Listen Up. I'm probably missing a few that are worth including, but I'm away from my music collection and my iPod just died.

Rae said:

Vocal melody guitar solos can work when need be; Jamie, YGYLTMS, YWGWMT for example.  But a whole album of them is a bit insane.  

I love most solos though.  Tired of Sex and Getchoo's solos are incredible. 

BackToSchool said:
Are the lyrics anymore childish than anything the band has released this decade? Devotion is better than anything on the last 6 Weezer albums.

Agree, devotion is a top tune

WilfordBrimley (shoelessthunder) said:
You Gave Your Love To Me Softly! Susanne! Everything on Blue and Pink! And all the songs you guys said!
Alright enough exclamation points.
Anyway, I'm in the same boat. I totally would enjoy their newer stuff a lot more if there were more (any) guitar solos. Maybe that's why Maladroit and Make Believe were still good and everything since has been lame? Who knows. But it really surprises me with Hurley, they talk about making this raw rock record, but...where the hell are the guitar solos??? WTF?
Maladroit and Make Believe were definitely not 'still good'. They're just plain s*** records. 
That solo is so epic. 

Daniel [bleed0range] said:
I'm a sucker for In the Garage.
Actually, there was one on red, FOUR on rad, and uno on hurley.

Andrew Heymann said:
Wow, couldn't agree with you more on this! I was diggin' some of the left-hand turns on Red Album with the hip hop and weird song structures and ballsy lyrics and stuff, but was sad that there weren't many solos. Then there were almost NONE on Raditude and Hurley. I hated it!

To me, the guitar solos are one of Weezer's KEY elements- Rivers makes some of my favorite melodies ever, in his singing and in his lead guitar. They almost always stand out in the songs and are a real highlight. Because it is such a glaring break with the past, I have a hard time getting into Hurley, to be honest. Although I don't think it's just the solos, but that's the first major problem I think of. I'm listening to the Pinkerton B-Sides and Death to False Metal a lot more than Hurley right now....

I have a hard time picking a favorite because they are all so stellar- he is really good at them, they never overstay their welcome.

I agree with most of the ones mentioned (Blue and Pinkerton are flawless, especially "Pink Triangle" and "Say It Ain't So"... anytime everyone sings along to a guitar solo at a concert, you know you've done well) so I'll go ahead and mention "Perfect Situation" as one of the last greats.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video