WeezerLip Extravaganza! (that's how it's billed in the press release) is almost here.

Check out the sketch plans for the intro - including a giant pulsating rainbow screen and Flaming Lips' Wayne Coyne in bubble while Rivers is in his raft!

Also check out Wayne's NSFW poster for the shows http://tiny.cc/dfm5h 

I'm tweeting updates at http://twitter.com/futureheartday

Views: 73

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What is Pinkerton's biggest "hit"? Judging music by commercial success is exactly why Pinkerton was overlooked for so many years.  The Flaming Lips are a band that has had a cult following for 30+ years, a band that as quoted by River last night was a "big inspiration" to them.  I'm sure there are Weezer fans that would have left if The Lips played last and I'm sure there are Lips fans that would have left if Weezer played last, sharing the set they both had a captive audience and it was a brilliant way to do things.
Dude! NO Sugar Ray. My favorite part of ALL shows is hearing new live music. Almost every band I have started listening to in the last two years I saw open for another band. Why would you want to share GA with the kind of people that listen to Sugar Ray? Boring. Who cares about Love is the Answer? The one Sugar Ray song I do like is called Rivers and was written to sound like a Weezer song anyways. Weezer and JEW 10 years later!!!! That would be an awesome co headliner IMO.

yes, and gohi said that he only sugar ray song that HE knows is "someday."

you know sugar ray songs, gohi doesn't. gohi knows flaming lips songs, you don't. do you get it?

Lewis Digges said:

Gohi, Sugar Ray has other songs besides Someday ("Fly", "Every Morning", "When It's Over") and besides that they recorded a Weezer song "Love Is The Answer" so I think that they would fit in on a tour with Weezer.

Lewis, have you ever heard "Do You Realize?"  It's been in several commercials.  You'd probably recognize it once you heard it.

The Flaming Lips have a "cult" following.  They may not sell millions of records, but their fans buy their records every single time they come out.  They don't have as big of a following as Phish, but that's who I'd compare their fanbase too (on a smaller scale), very devoted fans that enable The Flaming Lips to play large arena shows.

I don't think Sugar Ray would fit with Weezer.  Are they even still a group?  same with the Barenaked Ladies.

I'm chime in.  I was front row center...and it was amazing.  It was my dream show, because I LOVE both bands.  Being fair...they are 2 different bands, with different styles.  The Lips always put 100% into their shows, and some songs, yes, are slower, but if you chill and just enjoy the songs/effects/vibe, you will have a pretty good time.  It's all about perspective I guess.  I thought Weezer was awesome, but I also thought the Lips blew them away, in a fun way.  Both bands seemed to be enjoying each other.

You don't like the Lips.  Who cares then?  That's your right.  But speaking of vulgar, and what Weezer will and won't do, you do realize they have a song titled Tired of Sex, and another called Where's My Sex, so your vulgarity point is kind of comical.

Lewis Digges said:

Can't say that I ever heard Do You Realize? in my life. To my recollection, TFL never had their videos on MTV either and I would probably know about that since I watched MTV when they DID air videos and I've never seen a TFL video ever.

I'm quite sure that TFL has millions of fans since their largest fan base seems to be in the UK among other places. And I'm sure with song titles like "She Don't Use Jelly", I'm probably sure that many people haven't heard this song or any other songs by them on account that the song title sounds vulgar in nature and something Weezer wouldn't do.

And yes both Sugar Ray and The Barenaked Ladies are still together but they are now quartets since DJ Homicide and Stephen Page from SR and TBL respectively left their bands.

Gregor =w= Langbehn said:

Lewis, have you ever heard "Do You Realize?"  It's been in several commercials.  You'd probably recognize it once you heard it.

The Flaming Lips have a "cult" following.  They may not sell millions of records, but their fans buy their records every single time they come out.  They don't have as big of a following as Phish, but that's who I'd compare their fanbase too (on a smaller scale), very devoted fans that enable The Flaming Lips to play large arena shows.

I don't think Sugar Ray would fit with Weezer.  Are they even still a group?  same with the Barenaked Ladies.

Since vulgarity is different for every person, I think Christian Rock might be more your style.  Jars of Clay, maybe? 

"Butterfly" has very "vulgar" lyrics.  "Smell you on my hand for days, I can't wash away your scent."  I don't interpret that as the smell of an actual butterfly, but more like juices from down under.

The Flaming Lips have had several music videos on MTV, I've seen them.  You many have to stay up late, but they were played with all the other videos.  MTV is also just one (a very bad one) place to find out about new music.  Internet radio and going to shows and watching the openers is how i find out about a lot of my favorite artists.

Lewis Digges said:

I would have liked TFL had I not known until now what kind of group they were and that they perform such songs like this on a regular basis. I thought that they were like Weezer to a certain effect but they aren't. And I don't think of Tired of Sex and Where Is My Sex? as vulgar since both songs don't go into graphic nature like TFL does with their songs and their stage act which I've heard is graphic in and of itself (balloons of vaginas and penises and sex toys for example) but is probably tamed down a bit because of Weezer.

I would have rather that Weezer had done a tour with The Cars which is kind of more my speed anyways. Just watching both groups doing Just What I Needed and You Might Think would be magic.

Jamie Lovinger said:

You don't like the Lips.  Who cares then?  That's your right.  But speaking of vulgar, and what Weezer will and won't do, you do realize they have a song titled Tired of Sex, and another called Where's My Sex, so your vulgarity point is kind of comical.

Lewis Digges said:

Can't say that I ever heard Do You Realize? in my life. To my recollection, TFL never had their videos on MTV either and I would probably know about that since I watched MTV when they DID air videos and I've never seen a TFL video ever.

I'm quite sure that TFL has millions of fans since their largest fan base seems to be in the UK among other places. And I'm sure with song titles like "She Don't Use Jelly", I'm probably sure that many people haven't heard this song or any other songs by them on account that the song title sounds vulgar in nature and something Weezer wouldn't do.

And yes both Sugar Ray and The Barenaked Ladies are still together but they are now quartets since DJ Homicide and Stephen Page from SR and TBL respectively left their bands.

oh look, lewis has no f****** idea what he's talking about.
Bro!!! What are you talking about? Who cares what TFL write about? Who cares if they are not exactly like Weezer?!?!?!?! It is two shows!!!

what flaming lips songs have you listened to?

i really want to know where you're getting this idea that the flaming lips write songs that are raunchy and vulgar.

Lewis Digges said:

Tell me this:

Has TFL done a serious song that was done without reference to sex or ANY song in general not having to do with sex?

Has TFL done an album that's as good as Blue and Pinkerton?

Is Wayne Coyne a better songwriter than Rivers? Or as a singer? Or as persons in general?

Are Weezer and TFL in the same league together? Who does better songs?

Who puts on better shows? Weezer or TFL?

Would Weezer go to great lengths in doing an album that is similar in nature to TFL's albums (full of raunchy humor and sexual innuendo)? Or doing a tour doing such things like floating balloons of penises/vaginas/phalluses/testicles and showing artwork depicting it?

These are kind of serious questions on account that I want to know if Weezer could change into something like TFL in that they start using raunchy humor and other stuff into their show and getting that example from them.

kittens bieber ♥ said:

oh look, lewis has no f****** idea what he's talking about.

Lewis, you've been off the deep end for far to long

TFL has lots of songs not about sex or anything raunchy.  Listen to the "Yeah Yeah Yeah song" - not "vulgar" at all.  I'll be proud of you if you can understand the imagery in the video in context with the lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjrUOlK2714

TFL making an album as good as Blue/Pink is completely personal opinion.  But, if you look at reviews across the board, the Soft Bulletin would be their Pinkerton.  In general, TFL records receive more positive reviews than Weezer records do.

2002:

Weezer: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/8613-maladroit/

The Flaming Lips: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/3081-yoshimi-battles-the-pink-r...

2005-06:

Weezer: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/8614-make-believe/

The Flaming Lips: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/3086-at-war-with-the-mystics/

2009:

Weezer: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/13656-raditude/

The Flaming Lips: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/13522-embryonic/

This is just from 1 website, but you can go to other review sites and see the same thing, for the most part.  Some review sites are partial to weezer and give the newer albums good reviews, but for the most part, TFL outscores weezer.

As far as song writing goes, again, all personal opinion.

As far a better concert experience goes, I think weezer is up there with TFL now.  They don't have the same kind of production, but I think weezer shows now-a-days are a lot more enjoyable than when i used to see them in 2002.  in 2002, the shows were kind of drab.  Rivers had no real interaction with the audience, but now, he's interacting a lot with the audience.  

And for the love of god, stop jumping to conclusions about what weezer is going to do.  God hates that.

Weezer can change into whatever the fluck they want to

I just showed Lewis Pitchfork.com.  We may see Chicago burnt to the ground next week.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video