What do you like about it?

What do you not like about it?

I like all of its songs, it's one of my favorite albums.

If I could change one thing, I would have the guitar solos do a little more; be a little more experimental.

Views: 281

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Agreed.

Scott Alan Perkins said:
I'm not saying TGA solos are better than Blue's or Pinkerton. I'm saying I enjoy for them for these reasons and are only missing a few elements from being just as good, though I don't think creativity is one the elements missing. I would put Rivers in the list with Jimmy Paige as one of the best guitarest. OID is Weezer's Stairway to Heaven, and the lesser known Led Zeppelin still have killer guitar's, the same as TGA.

bleedgoldandwhite21 said:

The fact that the solos ARE like the chorus is a BAD thing. Their boring solos that lack creativity and yes, also passion. When you listen to TBA solos you know Rivers actually spent time writing the solos. For TGA, Rivers basically had the solo's written after he wrote the song, because its all the same. Also, bringing up Led Zeppelin even makes my point more. Comparing TBA and Pinkerton's solos to Led Zeppelin is a compliment. Jimmy Page is easily one of the top 10 guitarists of all  time. Look at a song like Only In Dreams(which putting two and two together, Jimmy Page actually listed as one of the greatest guitar songs of all time). Yeah, other bands have used the same concept(listen to any pop album and you'll find TGA type solos, so that argument is dead), but it shows actual composition skill to write a solo like OID and it actually takes skill to play it.

That's cool you can enjoy the solos for what they are but I think you're giving to much credit to the verse melody solos of Green when comparing them to the solos on Blue, Pinkerton, RCB/Homie, Maladroit, and Make Believe. Again, I'm not bagging on you for liking them, because that's what you like and I agree some times they work nicely into the song (like in Photograph). But when you say that only a "few elements" are missing and that "creativity" isn't one of those elements, I have to disagree. In fact, there are several elements missing.

The Green solos are just that one melody, mostly on just one guitar. There are no extra fills with the second guitar, drums, or bass. My favorite verse melody solo is in You Gave Your Love To Me Softly. Listen to all of those fills, listen to how it builds to a climax just before Rivers come right back singing. That's creativity right there, something none of the Green solos do. Then's the shredding in Dope Nose and Love Explosion are the highlights of both songs (and the only redeeming quality in the latter). The other day I was listening to the Dope Nose solo in the original s2k version, and it was so plain, just there to occupy space. Whereas the 'droit version enhances the listening experience entirely. The Hold Me solo lifts the song into a higher level. The Pink Triangle solo climbs and falls. There's the squeal in the D+D. The all around uniqueness of El Scorcho. The dueling guitars in This Is Such A Pity. The bgvs working in unison with Susanne's. Lastly, Falling For You and Say it Ain't So's solos are beautiful pieces of music all within themselves. 

I can go on and on. But all of these solos show effort, skill, and most importantly creativity. They trigger a feeling, no words needed. Not all solos need to be this inspiring, nor do all songs need solos. And while I get you're not saying Green's solos are better than Blue or Pinkerton's, what I have trouble understanding is why you say that creativity wasn't a missing element. It takes creativity to come up with those solos I mentioned above. Whereas the Green solos are pretty much short and basic musical interludes bringing us to the conclusion of their respective songs with no additional effort made to sound anything different than the verse we just heard 30 seconds ago.

Scott Alan Perkins said:

I'm not saying TGA solos are better than Blue's or Pinkerton. I'm saying I enjoy for them for these reasons and are only missing a few elements from being just as good, though I don't think creativity is one the elements missing. I would put Rivers in the list with Jimmy Paige as one of the best guitarest. OID is Weezer's Stairway to Heaven, and the lesser known Led Zeppelin still have killer guitar's, the same as TGA.

The fact that the solos ARE like the chorus is a BAD thing. Their boring solos that lack creativity and yes, also passion. When you listen to TBA solos you know Rivers actually spent time writing the solos. For TGA, Rivers basically had the solo's written after he wrote the song, because its all the same. Also, bringing up Led Zeppelin even makes my point more. Comparing TBA and Pinkerton's solos to Led Zeppelin is a compliment. Jimmy Page is easily one of the top 10 guitarists of all  time. Look at a song like Only In Dreams(which putting two and two together, Jimmy Page actually listed as one of the greatest guitar songs of all time). Yeah, other bands have used the same concept(listen to any pop album and you'll find TGA type solos, so that argument is dead), but it shows actual composition skill to write a solo like OID and it actually takes skill to play it.

"You gave your love to me softly" is the template for how they should do those kinds of songs. As someone mentioned before, Rivers was trying to get away from structuring music like he did on Pinkerton.

johnny rockets said:

That's cool you can enjoy the solos for what they are but I think you're giving to much credit to the verse melody solos of Green when comparing them to the solos on Blue, Pinkerton, RCB/Homie, Maladroit, and Make Believe. Again, I'm not bagging on you for liking them, because that's what you like and I agree some times they work nicely into the song (like in Photograph). But when you say that only a "few elements" are missing and that "creativity" isn't one of those elements, I have to disagree. In fact, there are several elements missing.

The Green solos are just that one melody, mostly on just one guitar. There are no extra fills with the second guitar, drums, or bass. My favorite verse melody solo is in You Gave Your Love To Me Softly. Listen to all of those fills, listen to how it builds to a climax just before Rivers come right back singing. That's creativity right there, something none of the Green solos do. Then's the shredding in Dope Nose and Love Explosion are the highlights of both songs (and the only redeeming quality in the latter). The other day I was listening to the Dope Nose solo in the original s2k version, and it was so plain, just there to occupy space. Whereas the 'droit version enhances the listening experience entirely. The Hold Me solo lifts the song into a higher level. The Pink Triangle solo climbs and falls. There's the squeal in the D+D. The all around uniqueness of El Scorcho. The dueling guitars in This Is Such A Pity. The bgvs working in unison with Susanne's. Lastly, Falling For You and Say it Ain't So's solos are beautiful pieces of music all within themselves. 

I can go on and on. But all of these solos show effort, skill, and most importantly creativity. They trigger a feeling, no words needed. Not all solos need to be this inspiring, nor do all songs need solos. And while I get you're not saying Green's solos are better than Blue or Pinkerton's, what I have trouble understanding is why you say that creativity wasn't a missing element. It takes creativity to come up with those solos I mentioned above. Whereas the Green solos are pretty much short and basic musical interludes bringing us to the conclusion of their respective songs with no additional effort made to sound anything different than the verse we just heard 30 seconds ago.

Scott Alan Perkins said:

Agreed. I also like what you said in your last post about how if a TGA song pops up on your iPod, its not a bad listen, but when you listen to the whole album...its just boring. I feel the exact same way. The album is consistent at being mediocre. There aren't any terrible songs on it. There are maybe three or four really strong tracks on it. The rest are good to mediocre. This makes the album overall a solid album, but nothing great. It has a ton of potential that Rivers and Co. never really tapped into. I feel Rivers held back tremendously because he wanted the comeback album to be a success, so he kept it simple, but sweet. I think if this album came at a different time period in the band's career, Rivers would have gone all out and possibly given us a third classic Weezer album. However, he did not, so we get a solid, but ultimatly shallow album with a ton of wasted potential.

johnny rockets said:

Scott Alan Perkins said:

Thats fine if you like them, I'm not knocking you for that, but you can like something and admit its not that good. I love 80's action flicks and most of them are terrible films. Hey, I love Revenge Of The Sith while still acknowledging its flaws and admiting its writing is god-awful, the acting sucks and quite honestly, the movie blows, but I enjoy the heck of it. TGA solos aren't THAT bad, but you get the point.

Scott Alan Perkins said:

You make a good point. I won't get started on Episode III, we'd be here alot longer.

Thats fine if you like them, I'm not knocking you for that, but you can like something and admit its not that good. I love 80's action flicks and most of them are terrible films. Hey, I love Revenge Of The Sith while still acknowledging its flaws and admiting its writing is god-awful, the acting sucks and quite honestly, the movie blows, but I enjoy the heck of it. TGA solos aren't THAT bad, but you get the point.

Scott Alan Perkins said:

Haha, now we're on Star Wars?

I liked the end of III.

Scott Alan Perkins said:

You make a good point. I won't get started on Episode III, we'd be here alot longer.

Scott Alan Perkins said:

I have this never ending love/hate relationship with Sith. Ugh. Some of it is sooooo good. and other parts are...UGH. I liked the middle, mainly the execution of Executive Order 66. Up until when *SPOILER ALERT* Padme dies of a broken heart. Just...PLOT HOLES GEORGE PLOT HOLES.

Jordan said:

I liked the end of III.

Scott Alan Perkins said:

Scott Alan Perkins said:

Dude I really can't get started on Star Wars, but I do like the ending as well. Especially when Padme says "Obi-Wan thiers still good in him, I know thier is."
Jordan said:

I liked the end of III.

Scott Alan Perkins said:

Scott Alan Perkins said:

I agree to an extent. George lost focus of a coherent story. I get that its war and war is chaos, but episode lV, V, and VI took place in a war as well. I do like the irony of Anakin going to the dark side to gain the power to save Padme, and it turns out that's what ends up killing her. The broken heart being the reason for her death is stupid. Also, I think the editing was piss-poor to say the least in my opinion.

johnny rockets said:
I have this never ending love/hate relationship with Sith. Ugh. Some of it is sooooo good. and other parts are...UGH. I liked the middle, mainly the execution of Executive Order 66. Up until when *SPOILER ALERT* Padme dies of a broken heart. Just...PLOT HOLES GEORGE PLOT HOLES.

Jordan said:

I liked the end of III.

Scott Alan Perkins said:

Scott Alan Perkins said:

I liked the album but it's very forgettable.  There isn't really a standout track (either standout good or standout bad).  It's very consistently average.
I don't really think it's forgettable, but you're right, there aren't really any standout tracks. Like we've mentioned, they are all very similar. But that's no bad thing.

leftshoe18 said:
I liked the album but it's very forgettable.  There isn't really a standout track (either standout good or standout bad).  It's very consistently average.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video