What do you like about it?

What do you not like about it?

I like all of its songs, it's one of my favorite albums.

If I could change one thing, I would have the guitar solos do a little more; be a little more experimental.

Views: 281

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

musically i love everything about the green album, its such a great collection of rock/pop songs and i'm a total sucker for a good hook which green has plenty of. but what i loved even more was the videos released for this album. stumbling onto the sumo wrestlin hash pipe video after weezers post pinkerton break felt better than 10 christmas' all wrapped up in one awesome 3min visual package.
Yeah, I agree! I didn't even really think about the videos.

jcfelix said:
musically i love everything about the green album, its such a great collection of rock/pop songs and i'm a total sucker for a good hook which green has plenty of. but what i loved even more was the videos released for this album. stumbling onto the sumo wrestlin hash pipe video after weezers post pinkerton break felt better than 10 christmas' all wrapped up in one awesome 3min visual package.

I've listened to the Green album hundreds of times and unfortunately it's still, for the most part, a boring listen. Sarah, you said that it sounds like Blue meets Pinkerton. I'm sorry, I don't hear this at all. If anything, they took the Blue sound and regressed it to a basic pop formula . Not necessarily terrible or anything, just not a fulfilling listen in my opinion. The Beatles wrote songs like this in their early releases, and The Strokes have been known to be pretty redundant in their song structures as well.

I was just as excited as anyone that this album was coming out. I was 3 years into my fandom and could not believe Weezer was finally releasing a new album in the first place. But after I got through it, I was just sort of empty, like "that was it?". And back then, I wasn't alone in this reaction either. Weezer had changed, and while some of it was good, there was a lot missing.

Cons:

-Rivers monotone nasally emotionless singing

-Rivers doing all of the background vocals

-Guitar solos are just the verse melody

-A lack of variety in song structure (verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, chorus and/or verse)

-A lack of dynamics in the production

-Tracks 5-10 basically use all of the same chords and sound nearly identical

-Lack of clever, interesting, autobiographical, and thoughtful lyrics in majority of the songs (Rivers admitted he doesn't even know what some of the words mean, for instance, in Don't Let Go)

Pros:

-The melodies and hooks

-Photograph, Island in the Sun, Smile, O Girlfriend (and on some days Hash Pipe)

I like the Green album enough, and can appreciate the simplicity of the pop-rock occasionally. But whereas some deem it Weezer's 3rd or 4th best, I just don't hear it. If these songs come on individually on my ipod, they're a fun listen. But together, they almost appear generic. Honestly, if Rivers wanted to rerecord this album, in the vein of Don't Let Go 2005 or Smile on piano (or like the Japanese tribute version which is the quintessential version of that song), I'd be all for it. The melodies are solid (some even great), but the songs themselves though are just a bit undercooked.

If you were a fan prior to the Green album's release, what was your reaction to the album then, and what are your feelings today 10 years later?

You didn't give Karl much credit there.

johnny rockets said:

Cons:

I agree with all your statements except that I feel that despite all of its shortcomings it's the third best Weezer album (when taken as a whole). While other albums may have killer tracks that slay near everything else Post-Pinkerton (like The Angel and the One on Red) they also have some dreadful misfires which stop them being properly appreciated as a whole (like Cold Dark World on Red). While Green has some misfires I don't think they're as low as the lows of the albums that follow it which makes it the most consistent album since Pinkerton in my opinion.

It would be awesome to hear vocal performances that are worthy of those strong melodies (akin to the Don't Let Go 2005 AOL performance), reworked solos/arrangements (to the quality level of the 2002 Toronto boot of O Girlfriend!), reworked guitar tones (because the tones used on many songs sound like sonic vomit, Smile being the worst victim here) and mixing that doesn't squeeze the already lacking soul out of the tracks. I think those alterations would result in the undisputed third best Weezer album imo.

johnny rockets said:

I've listened to the Green album hundreds of times and unfortunately it's still, for the most part, a boring listen. Sarah, you said that it sounds like Blue meets Pinkerton. I'm sorry, I don't hear this at all. If anything, they took the Blue sound and regressed it to a basic pop formula . Not necessarily terrible or anything, just not a fulfilling listen in my opinion. The Beatles wrote songs like this in their early releases, and The Strokes have been known to be pretty redundant in their song structures as well.

I was just as excited as anyone that this album was coming out. I was 3 years into my fandom and could not believe Weezer was finally releasing a new album in the first place. But after I got through it, I was just sort of empty, like "that was it?". And back then, I wasn't alone in this reaction either. Weezer had changed, and while some of it was good, there was a lot missing.

Cons:

-Rivers monotone nasally emotionless singing

-Guitar solos are just the verse melody

-A lack of variety in song structure (verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, chorus and/or verse)

-A lack of dynamics in the production

-Tracks 5-10 basically use all of the same chords and sound nearly identical

-Lack of clever, interesting, autobiographical, and thoughtful lyrics in majority of the songs (Rivers admitted he doesn't even know what some of the words mean, for instance, in Don't Let Go)

Pros:

-The melodies and hooks

-Photograph, Island in the Sun, Smile, O Girlfriend (and on some days Hash Pipe)

I like the Green album enough, and can appreciate the simplicity of the pop-rock occasionally. But whereas some deem it Weezer's 3rd or 4th best, I just don't hear it. If these songs come on individually on my ipod, they're a fun listen. But together, they almost appear generic. Honestly, if Rivers wanted to rerecord this album, in the vein of Don't Let Go 2005 or Smile on piano (or like the Japanese tribute version which is the quintessential version of that song), I'd be all for it. The melodies are solid (some even great), but the songs themselves though are just a bit undercooked.

If you were a fan prior to the Green album's release, what was your reaction to the album then, and what are your feelings today 10 years later?

It's definitely in my top three favorite albums from Weezer.

Plus my favorite song ever by Weezer- Hash Pipe- is on there.

I also really like Glorious Day, Knock Down Drag Out, and Island in the Sun (who doesn't like that song?)

it's quite nice album i should say..

the problem is the guitar solos are like what the mediocre plays.

and it's also very short (28 minute for 10 songs)

I Do and christmas song are awesome, unfortunately it was not on the original album

AWESOME!!! ....that is all.
Its the perfect summer album. Nothing makes me feel happier than rollin down the window, blastin some Island in the sun as i drive about. Its such a happy album with amazing guitar and just straight up catchy choruses. My Favorite Weezer album adn 2nd best album ever in my opinion. All the songs are good :)....but it could've been longer. Needless to say I cant wait for the deluxe edition ;)
You're right, it is perfect for the summer!

America said:
Its the perfect summer album. Nothing makes me feel happier than rollin down the window, blastin some Island in the sun as i drive about. Its such a happy album with amazing guitar and just straight up catchy choruses. My Favorite Weezer album adn 2nd best album ever in my opinion. All the songs are good :)....but it could've been longer. Needless to say I cant wait for the deluxe edition ;)

I love the first six songs, hate the last four.

I love the guitar solos; I agree, they should be longer.

Does that include O Girlfriend? That song has a killer melody + lyrics and a vocal performance that actually sound heartfelt (a rarity in the '01-'02 Weezer era). If that doesn't sway you I implore you listen to the aforementioned 2002 Toronto boot, some nice vocal harmonies are added and the solo is legitimately flooring, it's freaking fantastic.

SubwayWolf said:

I love the first six songs, hate the last four.

I love the guitar solos; I agree, they should be longer.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video