I am flying out to chicago this weekend to go to both shows.  I went to the friday night show in NY and loved it so much I just had to go out to Chicago.  So, what did others think about the shows on this tour? Has anyone been to the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago? Is it a nice place to see a show? Did people like this sort of small venue tour or would you rather see them at a large venue? Do you think they will do anything different for the last show on this mini-tour?  I have seen a lot of bands live and I think weezer is the best. Anyone else have thoughts on that?

Views: 144

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

so, does anyone know of any bars in chicago...if we can zero in on something we can just start a thread saying that is where people are going and then whoever shows up shows up...thoughts?

osmahlerity said:
I joined this forum specifically to suggest this. I'm driving 6 hours from Ohio with my roommate to see this show and I've never been so excited (I'm only going to Pinkerton on saturday). I'll be in chicago friday and saturday night, and I love the idea of weezer fans taking over a bar. This happened when I saw RUSH in pittsburgh, and was nothing short of amazing.

Chris Guarino said:
A bunch of people should plan to go a certain bar after the shows this weekend. Would't it be fun to have a big weezer crew take over a bar in chicago after the show and drink together?

Clyde said:

The neighborhood looks pretty scary...but then again, I'm just a bumpkin from a small Iowa town :P

There is parking next the Aragon where you have to pay, but I believe it's pretty resonable and my car was still there after the concert ;)

Don't get me wrong, the line grew and grew and grew and was quite long (around the building) by the time the doors opened, but people didn't start really arriving until it was much closer to doors opening

Chris Guarino said:
When I was in NY for the friday show there was only like 5 people in line at 530pm. I highly doubt people are going to be in line in the morning. This is a small venue show...only a few thousand capacity i think

Weezing since Blue said:
We will be there bright and early trying to be one of the first in line....any ideas what time people will start lining up?  this will be my 15th show and can not wait!!!  see you all there friday and saturday morning!!!
ok, great info!. So , I looked up all three. The Green Mill looks to be a jazz club/bar.  The kinetic playground is across the street from aragon and looks pretty cool.  Also the uptown lounge is very close and looks pretty cool as well. They are even open very late.  They both have websites and you can even see the aragon in the picture on the kinetic site. here are the links:http://www.thekineticplayground.com/ & www.uptownlounge.net

osmahlerity said:
I'm not from chicago, and i'm staying like 30 minutes (15 miles) away from the venue and have no idea what some good bars would be. I would recommend something CLOSE to the aragon for optimum convenience. Google says Kinetic, Green Mill, The Uptown Lounge are close. Walking distance even
 &
I think uptown lounge looks like the better option. Lets go with that.

osmahlerity said:
They both seem like viable options. The kinetic seems like it will have a show going on, and uptown lounge doesn't say if they have a special event. Kinetic will probably have a cover? I'm not sure, i'm terrible at making decisions, but i do think it should be one of those two bars.
Kayla. It's so close. What time are you gonna be there, lady?

Kayla Yost said:
The aragon is awesome. I live in the city not too far from it. I cannot f*cking wait!! Pumped to meet hintofcoolness and carl and joey too :)

I'm not a fan of the Aragon Ballroom.  I've been to many shows because the bands I want to see play here.  I'd rather not get into details.  I can't think of anything I like about it... wait the ceiling is fun.  If average is your thing, you'll be fine.  It is what it is.  My wife says "sound quality is not great, very little seating, food sucks, overpriced... but that's just the scene."  She likes that there are a lot of bathrooms but they are downstairs.

There is a bar right across the street that has reasonably priced drinks.  There are tons of food places a couple blocks away by the Green Mill.  The Green Mill is an awesome jazz club but pricey booze and no food.  There's a couple mexican joints right near there that are tasty.  Parking should be right next door [or maybe across the street] to the Aragon for under $20.  If you don't mind taking the train, the red line will drop you pretty much at the door.  Street parking can be tough and don't park before 7 as there (generally) is a two hour limit until 9pm.  Neighborhood is fine but as always keep your wits about you.  Also no u-turns in intersections no matter what.  You'll get fined.  Welcome to Chicago.  Oh and keep in mind that it's going to be coooooold.

I live in chicago--would NOT recommend Green Mill or Kinetic. Green Mill is a great jazz club, but probably not great for a post-concert after party. Uptown lounge is a regular bar, would work. Of note, there's an "L" statioin right next to Aragon so you could easily head to Wrigleyville/Bucktown, etc and live it up in a more "exciting" area of the city if you'd prefer.

For those of you who have been to this tour in the other cities: Is there an opening act?

I read a Google News article that students from the School of Rock will be opening and playing =w= songs on both nights.  I don't know what else is in store for us as far as opening bands go.  I'd like to know too.

Jim Jones said:

Is there an opening act?

We all should go to that bar across the street that one person was talking about.
I think that you're confused because I've never read that. Are you thinking of this article: http://articles.kwch.com/2011-01-06/weezer_27014760 ?

David Hopp said:
I read a Google News article that students from the School of Rock will be opening and playing =w= songs on both nights.  I don't know what else is in store for us as far as opening bands go.  I'd like to know too.

Jim Jones said:

Is there an opening act?

If there was an opening act in NY and the other sites on the current tour, there probably will be again. Anyone at the other shows that can comment on whether there was an opening act?

yes there were opening acts

Jim Jones said:

If there was an opening act in NY and the other sites on the current tour, there probably will be again. Anyone at the other shows that can comment on whether there was an opening act?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video