Uh.. what?

 

http://www.theweezercruise.com/

 

 

Views: 7595

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hey peeps! Im excited about this cruise, were gonna have a lot of fun! Id like to know if anyone has any cool ideas about activities that youd like to do or have happen during the cruise. Were cooking up some good stuff, but time and time again when ive asked you guys whats on your mind, you always seem to come up with neat stuff... so what do you think? name some activities (besides the actual rock shows, which will be plentiful and awesome), that would stoke you up....From the simple to the extravagant, lets brainstorm......

....And stay tuned, new details and cruise info is coming soon...

Karaoke challenge
Game night with childhood/vintage board games
Saw someone else mention a purposefully cheesy-ironic prom type dance, that sounded fun
Name that tune contest
...just some top of mind ideas
Disclaimer: I'm not able to go, but if I were going I'd think these were fun.

Ideas:

 

Water Polo game:  Weezer + the Dinosaur Jr family tree + Ween vs. the young'uns from the other bands.

A songwriting workshop of sorts

Renaming of the 2 formal dining rooms on the ship for the duration of the cruise:  "Blue" and "Pinkerton".  You eat in the dining room which represents your opinion on the issue.

Some form of musical content related to the on-board music for the kids' club

Dedicated meet&greet times to avoid having artists constantly accosted for signatures

 

I'll post more ideas as I get them!  Creativity isn't my forté...guess that's why I'd be interested in a songwriting workshop!

 

 

 

I think dedicated meet and greets wouldn't be as fun.  First of all, there wouldn't be the fun of, "hey, isn't that NATHAN WILLIAMS ???" .  Even though it might help the artists a little, I doubt any of the non weezer bands will be savagely hunted by swarms of people.  Also, at a meet and greet, it becomes monotonous for the artist, and they will be much less excited to see you..I have heard that a lot of bands truly dread meet and greets because they have to sit there and go through everyone, including non fans who are just collecting autographs and wouldn't even recognize them.  

 

That said, I like the songwriting workshop idea..it sounds interesting..also, the water polo game would be funny !  Perhaps Weezer and Dinosaur Jr  could take turns drafting members of other bands.

With all due respect to the above poster, the issue of ppl showing up for autographs (for Weezer) who are non-fans wouldn't be an issue. No one would pay to go on a Weezer cruise if they didn't love Weezer (except maybe spouses lol).

I've been to 2 Cheap Trick fan conventions, and here's what they had that really worked:

Photo with the band (Weezer is already doing this). It was really cool, I have 2 photos of me with all of CT, with their logo on the backdrop!)

Separate q & a "clinics" with each bandmember (so the gearheads can ask specific questions about gear and musical arrangements of certain songs)

Auction (the band had silent auctions for certain stage clothes and gear)

"All request show" on one of the nights

When we got there, we got a goody bag of cool stuff, like a laminate with our fan club # and name, a sharpie with Cheap Trick printed on the side, etc.)

Tons of old/unreleased audio and video of CT playing at most times around the fest venue

We also had the option of posing with some of Rick's most well-known and recognizable guitars for photos.
That entire post I made was really directed towards bands like Wavves, The Antlers, and Yuck.  You already have the photo with weezer, which I'd imagine could easily serve as a meet and greet for them.

Troublemaker said:
With all due respect to the above poster, the issue of ppl showing up for autographs (for Weezer) who are non-fans wouldn't be an issue. No one would pay to go on a Weezer cruise if they didn't love Weezer (except maybe spouses lol).

I've been to 2 Cheap Trick fan conventions, and here's what they had that really worked:

Photo with the band (Weezer is already doing this). It was really cool, I have 2 photos of me with all of CT, with their logo on the backdrop!)

Separate q & a "clinics" with each bandmember (so the gearheads can ask specific questions about gear and musical arrangements of certain songs)

Auction (the band had silent auctions for certain stage clothes and gear)

"All request show" on one of the nights

When we got there, we got a goody bag of cool stuff, like a laminate with our fan club # and name, a sharpie with Cheap Trick printed on the side, etc.)

Tons of old/unreleased audio and video of CT playing at most times around the fest venue

We also had the option of posing with some of Rick's most well-known and recognizable guitars for photos.

Simple idea # 1: hacky sack.

 



karl koch [karlophone] said:

hey peeps! Im excited about this cruise, were gonna have a lot of fun! Id like to know if anyone has any cool ideas about activities that youd like to do or have happen during the cruise. Were cooking up some good stuff, but time and time again when ive asked you guys whats on your mind, you always seem to come up with neat stuff... so what do you think? name some activities (besides the actual rock shows, which will be plentiful and awesome), that would stoke you up....From the simple to the extravagant, lets brainstorm......

....And stay tuned, new details and cruise info is coming soon...

As suggested by some other people I would vote for "80's prom" and "open mic" as well as a giant game of Twister, and what about Bingo with some cool prizes?

theres a decent chance pat wilson might drink himself to death on this cruise. 


Jamie Theurich said:

As suggested by some other people I would vote for "80's prom" and "open mic" as well as a giant game of Twister, and what about Bingo with some cool prizes?

For Weezer, there's already a meet & greet...when we're taking our photos with them.  The idea of meet & greets was actually more for the other bands.  Bands who the Weezer fans might not recognize so well without a sign over their heads that say "This is Yuck" (an excellent band BTW).  If there's a meet & greet for them, then people will (a) get to recognize them and know who they are when running into them on board and (b) not feel the need to get an autograph when they do run into them on board (or more importantly...not have a conversation get interrupted by autograph-seekers).

 

I'd say that for Weezer and especially Rivers, there will be no getting away from the fact that they'll be mobbed constantly in public areas.  And they'll have trouble staying sober with all the people that'll be jonesing to buy them a beer...

 

In any case, the meet & greet wasn't the most important suggestion that I made...the most important IMHO is adding some Weezer-influenced or other bands on board-influenced elements to the kids club, to make sure that everybody has a fun time with musical content regardless of age.  Obviously there won't be many parents crazy as me to bring young kids (with ear protection of course) on this cruise, but for those who are...it'd be fun if the kids are built up for an exciting Weezer show like I am!  For now, they seem very excited by the kids club...

 

I like the idea of demo and rare Weezer tunes being played throughout the ship...but we also need to be sure not to overdo it on a 4-day trip.  I don't wanna get sick of their music before the 2nd show...so perhaps some good focus on the other bands when Weezer isn't playing would be good, both to get the other bands some exposure, and for the benefit of the passengers on board who are likely to enjoy a good number of these bands.  But I take it that's the whole idea of this cruise...17 bands x 2-3 concerts each = 34-51 concerts, with only 2 of those being Weezer.

 

I have to say though...I'll be dreaming of that sail-away show for the next 5 months!!!

 



Calvin Yoder said:

That entire post I made was really directed towards bands like Wavves, The Antlers, and Yuck.  You already have the photo with weezer, which I'd imagine could easily serve as a meet and greet for them.


Ok, I'm not sure if anyone else has said it yet, but how 'bout a Weezer trivia contest/Jeopardy-style game?

karl koch [karlophone] said:

hey peeps! Im excited about this cruise, were gonna have a lot of fun! Id like to know if anyone has any cool ideas about activities that youd like to do or have happen during the cruise. Were cooking up some good stuff, but time and time again when ive asked you guys whats on your mind, you always seem to come up with neat stuff... so what do you think? name some activities (besides the actual rock shows, which will be plentiful and awesome), that would stoke you up....From the simple to the extravagant, lets brainstorm......

....And stay tuned, new details and cruise info is coming soon...

Thats a good one

Troublemaker said:
Ok, I'm not sure if anyone else has said it yet, but how 'bout a Weezer trivia contest/Jeopardy-style game?

karl koch [karlophone] said:

hey peeps! Im excited about this cruise, were gonna have a lot of fun! Id like to know if anyone has any cool ideas about activities that youd like to do or have happen during the cruise. Were cooking up some good stuff, but time and time again when ive asked you guys whats on your mind, you always seem to come up with neat stuff... so what do you think? name some activities (besides the actual rock shows, which will be plentiful and awesome), that would stoke you up....From the simple to the extravagant, lets brainstorm......

....And stay tuned, new details and cruise info is coming soon...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

  • Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Offline

Live Video