'Weezer albums that never were' 1: Album 3 (late 90s)

There are loads of threads about alternative versions of albums, so I thought I'd make some about weezer albums that never came to be and what track listing and possible reception they might have had. Obviously, the most discussed of these is Songs from the Black H***, but as I consider that to have become Pinkerton and it's b-sides, rather than simply being completely scrapped, I'm not going to include it (anyway, we technically have track lists anyway and a pretty good idea of what it would have been like). Basicly, this is a case of Weezer Album 3, Homie and SS2k.

I'm going to start with a third Weezer album I imagine would have been released late 1998/early1999. Although Homie would have probably come before this, I think it's one of the most interesting examples. I'm basing my selection on the recording History for 1997, 1998 and 1999 and Karl's notes which suggest these songs were all considered for weezer and rehearsed/recorded more extensively than other tracks. The fact that many were played live, or have resurfaced recently, suggests they may have been the cream of the crop. I cut off around the time of Goat Punishment, as I feel this is the period where Rivers' mind set began to change to what we saw in SS2K and Green album.

Album 3 (Late 1998/Early 1999)

Rosemary
Crazy One
The Prettiest Girl in the Whole Wide World
Trampoline
Lover in the Snow
1,000 Years
Everyone
Cherry Berri
Average Town
Baby

Explanation
We've now heard a lot of these songs that were being considered for weezer tracks between 1997-1998. I'm sure we can agree that the quality of these songs are very high, so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to guess that if serious work had gone into producing an Album 3 (rather than just rehearsing, trying different things, as seems to be the case) these would have made the cut. Rosemary would have been a brilliant open to rival Jonas and Tired of Sex, while giving the impression the album would be a different tone to both of those albums. I think we can also agree that Crazy One would make a great first single, and is certainly the most catchy one out this bunch. We know that Prettiest girl was highly rated by band members, and the fact that it survived to 2009 suggests it would have been a shoe in. Trampoline sounds great, and once again the fact that it was one of the only songs from this era to see an official release says a lot. Lover in the Snow is another great song which I feel fits into this bunch. 

1,000 years, I think, would make a great segway into a darker, more experimental second half.  As Rivers seemed to start writing a lot more 'harder' songs in the summer of 1998, I imagine at least one would make it onto an album. I chose Everyone basically because it made it onto DTFM. The next 2 songs are pretty much guesses. The fact that Cherry Berri was considered for Green Album sessions, and considered highly by the band, means it had as good a chance as any. Average Town also seems to have had significant work done to it, and as was in the same sessions as crazy one, I have a good feeling (Sunshine could just as easily have made it, however). Finally, I think Baby is the perfect closer and as, like 1,000 Years, it was played live frequently, I feel it would probably have been a big contender.

We are left with only 2 songs we don't know. The other songs, in my opinion, are all brilliant. This really would have been in the same league as Pink and Blue, and I think it would have been a fan favourite. It's impossible to know what the 'Pinkerton legacy' would have been if the band had stuck around in this period, so it's hard to guess the public reception. I imagine Pinkerton would have still gone on to be reassessed as a brilliant album, and this would have been considered a worthy follow up.

Note: If you really would prefare an album made up only of songs we have heard, cheat a little and replace Cherry Berri and Average Town Tragic Girl and Getting Up and Leaving (although there is little evidence these would have been considered). With this addition, this album starts looking like an instant classic.

Views: 119

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No. 2 and 3 will come as a procrastinate throughout the day...
thanks so much for these posts!
This is really great info for all the new hardcore weezer fans like me aha
I wouldn't put Everyone on there, but brilliant apart from that!
probably would have put autumn in jayne somewhere on there.  also wouldn't include everyone, i really like the song, but it's a silly (lyric-wise) nirvana-sounding tune.  tragic girl just seems right out of pinkerton so i'd say a no on that one, getting up and leaving would work though.,  i'm sure there are a few other nice tracks from 97-99 that we still haven't heard too.  anyways, sounds like a pretty good album.  wish we could at least get studio versions of all the homie/rcb stuff.

Autumn in Jayne was only omitted because I wanted to include it in my dream 'Homie' Album (see: http://weezer.com/forum/topics/weezer-albums-that-never-were-1). As for Everyone - I personally really like it, although I know (and understand why) many don't. Ultimately though, all the evidence of the time seems to point to River's producing a lot of Everyone-esque short, heavy rock songs in this period and so its very likely at least a few would have made the album. As Everyone eventually was released, I'm guessing River's had a soft spot for it, so no reason to assume it wouldn't have made the cut on a purely objective level.

Vm said:

probably would have put autumn in jayne somewhere on there.  also wouldn't include everyone, i really like the song, but it's a silly (lyric-wise) nirvana-sounding tune.  tragic girl just seems right out of pinkerton so i'd say a no on that one, getting up and leaving would work though.,  i'm sure there are a few other nice tracks from 97-99 that we still haven't heard too.  anyways, sounds like a pretty good album.  wish we could at least get studio versions of all the homie/rcb stuff.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video