Does anyone else here have bipolar disorder?

I was officially diagnosed 2 weeks ago with schizoaffective (long time coming) and I'm dreading the medication but have finally decided to start it soon.

Just wanting to see if anyone here can relate?

Views: 806

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

fyi, you can't be 'under the influence' of energy drinks, and their action is not the same as psychoactive medication.

Oh wow, guys. Thank you for all the responses! I'm going to go through and read them all soon and make a longer post when I get back on my desktop. :) 

Seriously thanks for the support!

Karl,

I, too, have a friend who has severe issues with bipolar. He has bipolar type 1 with schizophrenic tendencies. On top of that he has OCD, Borderline Personality Disorder, anxiety, etc etc etc.

I've visited him countless times in the mental ward and have watched him struggle so much with just everything. My heart broke more and more as I watched him go through this. I took care of him over the summer and it was so hard. He got extremely suicidal one night. I had to admit him to the mental hospital that night. As much as I hate to admit it, that actually triggered me to go into a deep depression with psychosis. I haven't been right since. I've had this disorder for as long as I can remember and it's been getting worse and worse over the last several years but I have to be honest... that's when I snapped. A lot of people warned me that would happen but I loved my friend so much that I didn't want to believe that his condition would trigger my own to worsen.

karl koch [karlophone] said:

JessicaANerd and Lewis, thanks for sharing. I have a close friend with a very strong case of bipolar and he has really been through the wringer these past 5 years. He went from having a million dollar house and a high tech job to just getting by working at a wal-mart because its about all the social stress he can handle. A man who at one time commanded a nuclear sub, now stacking bananas. (at least he's able to laugh at the irony of "working with bananas"). His mania and depression are like a sine wave, up and down, and he works very hard trying not to let the "waves" get too big.

yes, nothing picks you up like seeing someone else hit rock bottom.......well maybe "picks you up" is a poor choice of words here.....

didn't really read any of the replies or your responses tbh, but hope all goes well

JessaANerd [jKlein] said:

Oh wow, guys. Thank you for all the responses! I'm going to go through and read them all soon and make a longer post when I get back on my desktop. :) 

I didn't mean it that way. I haven't read all the responses either. Whether someone is struggling with the same thing or giving words of encouragement... it's all a support system and for that I'm am extremely appreciative. That's why I posted that. :)

if-i-were-an-orange said:

yes, nothing picks you up like seeing someone else hit rock bottom.......well maybe "picks you up" is a poor choice of words here.....

didn't really read any of the replies or your responses tbh, but hope all goes well

i know you didn't mean it that way, i was just singling out a certain someone b/c he is a twat

I didn't mean it that way. I haven't read all the responses earlier. Whether someone is struggling with the same thing or giving words of encouragement... it's all a support system and for that I'm am extremely appreciative. That's why I posted that. :)

You have obviously been hurt or have some serious issues that you keep buried inside and instead of using that pain "creatively" as you seem to express over and over again that you are striving to do, you are just clinging on to your anger and pain and placing the blame on to others. This is not healthy. Call your problem mental illness, dysfunction, extreme emotion, conflict, pain, whatever.... its there and you know it. Maybe medication is not for you, maybe you need to meditate and come to terms and acceptance with whatever is going on so that you can be strong and move on.  If you keep this attitude and behavior I don't think you will get very far (physically, emotionally, or socially) and you will just end up in vicious cycles of isolating yourself from those who are important to you and who really care. I urge you to seek your problem from within and come to terms with it instead of just blaming others and/or whining about it.

DO NOT insult those who have true mental illness, chemical imbalances, or whatever. Such things are very real and can be very devastating when not treated properly or taken care of. Sometimes having "mental illness" is a result of another underlying issue such as a thyroid problem, a genetic chemical imbalance, or a result of trauma, etc. Whatever the cause it is real. We are lucky we live in a society where people are aware of these difficulties and with proper treatment they are able  improved their quality of life and live a longer healthier more independent lives. 

There are politics in the field of psychology and psychiatry as there are in all medicine. Does that mean you should not seek help?? The point of medication is not to make you numb, and if you don't feel that your quality of life is improving than you move on to another treatment and/or another practitioner.

The only person standing in your way is yourself....

Stevenson Alderworst (just came) said:

Otter you f****** know I'm a creative genius... it's just not fully blossomed yet, because I too am stifled by the barriers of society and home life.. which is why, when I go back to school in one month, I will likely never return again, or at least for several years. But in the meantime, I refuse to see any psychological expert who is going to label me with any disorder and prescribe some meds so I'm too numb to realize the anger boiling inside of me, and the resentment I feel toward my family and all the people standing in my way.

It is important thought to realize that there is an intense anxiety boiling within you and to pawn it off to some diagnosis, or to think that the problem lies inherently within you, rather than the circumstance you're in, which you could break away from with intelligent thinking, is not smart. So... drugs can be good, because there is obviously a lot of anxiety within and it's hard to think straight and intelligently. So take the drug--such as caffeine, weed--and the anxiety subsides and during that time start to question your circumstances which are binding you. And then you can break away from them and avoid the need to be under the influence of life-numbing, and potentially life-destroying psychiatric drugs. From what I can tell, those are pretty strong and will make you numb to the actual problems around you, which with the right kind of thinking, and a lesser form of drug, could be easily reflected upon and thus broken away from.

The problem too, is that certain drugs aren't legalized. If we could be more like Brits and just pop a valium when needed, we would all be in better shape and wouldn't have to call ourselves bipolar. Pain killers=brilliant idea for the humankind.

you are a magnificent representation of your generation

how? why don't you write out something out instead of just throwing down statements about generations. Who said anything about a generation.

Capitalistic society + parents = binding, barriers, limits freedom

Psychiatric drugs + diagnosis = still barriers, but too numbed to realize, false freedom

Breaking away from barriers and psychiatric drugs by going to college = freedom

Being a career student to avoid all of societal barriers = most freedom

Becoming a librarian or w.e that b**** suzanne is doing = STUPID

Stevenson Alderworst + several years = Dr. Stevenson Alderworst, celebrated creative genius, voice of a generation

Thinking about what Alderworst is saying + not just disregarding it = you also creative genius, less celebrated of course

you suck at math.

how? why don't you write out something out instead of just throwing down statements about generations. Who said anything about a generation.

Psychiatric drugs + diagnosis = still barriers, but too numbed to realize, false freedom

Stevenson Alderworst + several years = Dr. Stevenson Alderworst, celebrated creative genius, voice of a generation

Thinking about what Alderworst is saying + not just disregarding it = you also creative genius, less celebrated of course

JumpingJesusOnAPogostick! [spaz] said:

you suck at math life.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service