Does anyone else here have bipolar disorder?

I was officially diagnosed 2 weeks ago with schizoaffective (long time coming) and I'm dreading the medication but have finally decided to start it soon.

Just wanting to see if anyone here can relate?

Views: 806

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

JessicaANerd and Lewis, thanks for sharing. I have a close friend with a very strong case of bipolar and he has really been through the wringer these past 5 years. He went from having a million dollar house and a high tech job to just getting by working at a wal-mart because its about all the social stress he can handle. A man who at one time commanded a nuclear sub, now stacking bananas. (at least he's able to laugh at the irony of "working with bananas"). His mania and depression are like a sine wave, up and down, and he works very hard trying not to let the "waves" get too big.

If you don't like being on meds there is something called Neurofeedback which you guys should look into. I know it works from personal experience. It can actually be used for a variety of mental health issues. You just need to make sure you find someone who really knows what they are doing and also only some insurances cover this which is sometimes a problem. If you want to know more send me a PM.

Also, don't focus on the dread you experience regarding taking the meds ( trust me I know this feeling) just think about how it will improve your quality of life and your relationships with the people you care about, and remember to be consistent. It might be hard to take it everyday ( or how often you need to) so maybe put it next to a candy or treat that you give yourself each time you take it :) I don't have bi-polar but I think I can relate....  This message is not just for Jess but also Lewis.

Sorry about your friend Karl...I hope things get better... 

Jess I think you are amazing & hope that it goes well for you on the medication. It's such a rough decision to have to make but I know there are a ton of people who will be there for you when you need support :) myself always included!!  And I agree with NatKat, change is scary but the benefits to starting the medication can be incredible so hopefully you're able to focus on that <3

I was on a couple of different medications for about 10 years after I was diagnosed with OCD. I was very very lucky in that with time I have been able to learn to control the negative aspects of it, and now I function fairly normally and it doesn't dominate my everyday life.  But even though I'm not taking anything now I'm always grateful that there is help out there in case I ever get back to a place where the OCD is not so easy to control.

Karl, I am sorry to hear about your friend - I completely understand about the sine wave, I've always found that when the good is too good, it leaves room for the bad to be too low.  I'm glad your friend is able to joke about it, I think (in my experience anyway) that's one of the best things you can do when you're dealing with mental illness.

here is some educated advice... psychological disorders were invented to give people a scapegoat for their problems in a chaotic western capitalistic society. They're invented so that parents, who have too many vested interests in the corporations to be a full and capable human being, can stifle their children's natural desire to break away from their life-negating parents and the resulting chaos. Psychological medication is the reliable and respectable way--rather than street drugs or alcohol--to say ''their are too many barriers in my life, thus it sucks, and the only way to get through it at this point is to be diagnosed and medicated upon, so that I can fit in with mommy and daddy who, without the effect of these drugs, I am boiling inside to kill them in their sleep... but I'd rather just make myself an inferior and incapable human being who has depression and inertia, rather than be rebellious and break away from this nonsense."

A great man once said: ''...so basically I have the whole package when it comes to mental illness''

wait there is good news... you can break away from your parents, it's called going to college. But make sure you go somewhere far away and always be thinking of your next move once the semester ends so that you never have to go home again.

But if you start on medication now, you might stifle your desire to break away and thus become a commuter student. Don't do that. The time to break away is asap... instead of getting diagnoses, make college plans so you can go far away and live your life minus dependence.

THis is the purpose of education: to give one enough independence so that they can learn to think for themselves and live on their own. so if you commute, you bypass the importance of education. not good

It is absolutely fascinating to me that you find a way to make every goddamn topic somehow relate to your self-absorbed, ridiculous relationship with your mother. It is also remarkable that you think you know more about life than those of us who have actually lived it. You have no idea that you're making yourself look like an absolute and total idiot. Psychological disorders are not a "scapegoat." And if you think they are, YOU are the uneducated one.

Stevenson Alderworst (just came) said:

here is some educated advice... psychological disorders were invented to give people a scapegoat for their problems in a chaotic western capitalistic society. They're invented so that parents, who have too many vested interests in the corporations to be a full and capable human being, can stifle their children's natural desire to break away from their life-negating parents and the resulting chaos. Psychological medication is the reliable and respectable way--rather than street drugs or alcohol--to say ''their are too many barriers in my life, thus it sucks, and the only way to get through it at this point is to be diagnosed and medicated upon, so that I can fit in with mommy and daddy who, without the effect of these drugs, I am boiling inside to kill them in their sleep... but I'd rather just make myself an inferior and incapable human being who has depression and inertia, rather than be rebellious and break away from this nonsense."

A great man once said: ''...so basically I have the whole package when it comes to mental illness''

Phew, now that I got that off my chest...

JKlein, I'm sure it's difficult to hear a diagnosis like that, but good for you for getting help when you knew you needed it. I've been medicated for depression in the past and I know how hard it can be to feel broken. Just pay very close attention to your body and make sure you have doctors and/or therapists who are willing to really listen to you and address your concerns. I have no doubt you will find a solution to a lot of the symptoms you've been suffering with. Rely on those you trust to support you and encourage you through this difficult time. You know that many of us are here if you need to talk.

It is also remarkable that you think you know more about life than those of us who have actually lived it. You have no idea that you're making yourself look like an absolute and total idiot. Psychological disorders are not a "scapegoat." And if you think they are, YOU are the uneducated one.

Everything I said is true and not just for me. It's a universal truth, because everyone has parents and lives in a western capitalistic society that makes it hard to be a complete human being. In short, everyone has barriers that limit their freedom, but having a psychological scapegoat is not the answer. It's more like breaking away form the barriers and playing around with that vital anger inside of you rather than by condemning it and pretending it's not there to please your parents and western capitalism. I know it's difficult for girls to stand on their own, when they're expected to be hold up some kind of image of western hotness or properness, but it's quite possible and you don't have to dye your hair blue or be a conniving b**** on various forums.

Suzanne, I'm still in love with you, regardless of all our lovers quarrels.

let's all listen to the advice of a failed psych major/college dropout.

Otter you f****** know I'm a creative genius... it's just not fully blossomed yet, because I too am stifled by the barriers of society and home life.. which is why, when I go back to school in one month, I will likely never return again, or at least for several years. But in the meantime, I refuse to see any psychological expert who is going to label me with any disorder and prescribe some meds so I'm too numb to realize the anger boiling inside of me, and the resentment I feel toward my family and all the people standing in my way.

you refuse to see an expert, but you'll confide in yahoo answers?

I'm thinking of killing myself all the time. Anyone else doing this?

I've wasted the past 2 years of my life... has anyone else done thi...

i like that you removed your name from the account without getting rid of the questions. kind of like that pick-up artists forum that still has all of your posts even after you deleted the account to cover your pathetic tracks.

I know... it's rather embarassing, but to my defense I was under the influence of energy drinks--psychological meds?-- when I wrote those 2 yahoo posts, and you actually can't delete them I've tried.

Anytime I posted on simplepickup it was also under the influence of energy drinks--psychological meds?--and thus, what I thought was writing would help me in some productive way and work, I was being probably ridiculous. Psychological meds?

My sister is on zoloft, or one of those things... and when she thinks she's 'in the moment', and doing great things, she's actually making an idiot of herself, just not on simplepickup.com SO F*** YOU

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video