I know sometimes it can be a label saying no, but whatever the case tragic girl is way too good to have been left off the album.  I think it would have fit perfectly right after falling for you as a big anthem closer before we get the quite closing of butterfly.  I think it would have been a great endcap because it shares a similar vocal melody with another song on the album, I can't think of it now though.  But, ya they should have included it.

Views: 287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, yea.
The solo reminds me of Pink Triangle
Well, technically it is on Pinkerton. Just not the original. I'm not sure if it would've benefited from being on the initial album though, Rivers seemed dead set on how it was, and in the end the original is perfection enough. Plus we would've had one less surprise from the deluxe!
Yeah. The only problem is that it was written and recorded in early 1997 AFTER the album was released. 

The dreWid said:
Yeah. The only problem is that it was written and recorded in early 1997 AFTER the album was released.

no, it was done in july 96, as i attempted to explain in the deluxe liner notes. I wondered why it wasnt added to the album too, as it was done with the intention of adding it - or at least trying it to see if it would work. i think it didnt make it on the album because at the time Rivers wasnt quite sure how to finish it or if it was right. But if he had felt good about it at the time, he could put the finishing touches on it then - and if he had jammed it out super quick, there was still time to put it on the album. (i mean a few days tops,. but thats all it would have taken if he was sure what he wanted to do). So the fact it wasnt done then just means Rivers didnt feel it was finished and ready to be added then.

personally i kinda envision it as either going right before butterfly - or right after. it might seem odd to put it after, but im thinking that could worked if there was a long pause between them...??
Good song, It's a mouthfull of chords just like everything else on Pinkerton, so I don't see it being out of place like say a you gave your love to me softly or a waiting on you might have been... Tough to say though.
Hey Karl, was it recorded around the same time as Butterfly? My understanding from the interviews of late as well as the liner notes was that Butterfly was recorded towards the very end of the sessions. And of course there is the lyrical allusion to Butterfly on Tragic Girl.

karl koch [karlophone] said:

The dreWid said:

no, it was done in july 96, as i attempted to explain in the deluxe liner notes. I wondered why it wasnt added to the album too, as it was done with the intention of adding it - or at least trying it to see if it would work. i think it didnt make it on the album because at the time Rivers wasnt quite sure how to finish it or if it was right. But if he had felt good about it at the time, he could put the finishing touches on it then - and if he had jammed it out super quick, there was still time to put it on the album. (i mean a few days tops,. but thats all it would have taken if he was sure what he wanted to do). So the fact it wasnt done then just means Rivers didnt feel it was finished and ready to be added then.

personally i kinda envision it as either going right before butterfly - or right after. it might seem odd to put it after, but im thinking that could worked if there was a long pause between them...??
When I listen to it I always imagine it would be perfect right before Butterfly. It's a shame it didn't get finished back then, it would have just made Pinkerton all that much better. But I'm so happy we got it, didn't even know what we were missing out on all this time!

The dreWid said:

Whoops... I heard somewhere that it was early 1997. Now I feal like an idiot!

The dreWid said:

SFTBH should have been released, and then Pinkerton could've been the remaining songs...

1. You Gave Your Love to Me Softly
2. I Swear it's True
3. Across the Sea
4. The Good Life
5. El Scorcho
6. Pink Triangle
7. Falling for You
8. Getting Up and Leaving
9. Tragic Girl
10. Butterfly

We all live in our own perfect world were a band would be perfect for our OCD-ness. TBH Weezer comes close to hitting the mark. But the sounds of Pinkerton and SFTBH would have been great for two seperate albums too.

I'm pretty sure it was written/recorded after Pinkerton was released. It never made an album because Rivers' writing style changed.

I think to put tragic girl in Pinkerton you'd have to change the entire album and then it wouldn't really be right.  As it is pinkerton really isn't a perfect unified ten track affair anyhow though.  I mean like the redemption of Butterfly kind of feels weird next to those other tracks and it's really an odd mix.  Unity isn't really what makes Pinkerton great.  Honesty and ironically enough, it's overbaked ambition and flaws make it great. 

☺♥ kïttens ♥☺ said:

maybe you should read the thread.

elscorcho said:

I'm pretty sure it was written/recorded after Pinkerton was released. It never made an album because Rivers' writing style changed.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video