I started this thread in the old Red (wow it's weird to say "old Red") boards and thought I should bring it back considering we now have 3 more albums to include in this discussion. I'm listing anything released under the Weezer name (so this wouldn't include anything necessarily from Alone or any of Rivers assorted solo songs). Here are my Top 5 choices:

1. Hold Me - Accused of being too mopey even by Make Believe standards, I personally think it's one of my favorite Weezer songs. Everything from the second verse on, including the bgvs, the bridge, the solo, the outro. Just a beautifully constructed song.

2. Time Flies - While Run Away typically gets all of the attention (and rightfully so) I think Time Flies is genuinely one of the best PP songs. The lyrics feel genuine, and the way it's presented on the album is unique (in that it's basically a wobbly demo). Also, hearing this playing over the speakers as the Memories show came to a close was a real treat.

3. Mad Kow - the stand out song for me from s2k and the album 5 sessions. I can't decide which version i love more (the 2000 version with the riff or the piano version) but that melody gets me every time.

4. The Prettiest Girl in the Whole Wide World - I'm including this in here because personally it's been a holy grail kind of track for me since I got a hold of that RCB bootleg back in 1998 and don't think it gets the true cred it deserves. While the 2009 version doesn't include the awesome breakdown that I grew up listening to (nor the overwhelming bass although that was more of a result of where the bootlegger's was standing as he/she was recording the show) it may easily be the only good thing to come out of the Raditude era. If only the rest of that album were more of this and less Let It All Hang Out.

5. So Low - the original no hobo version. A great power pop rock tune that unfortunately we don't even have a studio demo of. One of the best hooks Rivers has even penned in my opinion.

Views: 513

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hold Me is such an amazing song. I love it so much along with everything on MB. And I completely agree about Mad Kow and Prettiest Girl In The Whole Wide World

I definitely agree with 1-4, especially Hold Me.  one of my favorite Weezer songs ever is Let's Sew Our Pants Together, which I feel like a lot of people don't know about.  Same with I Need Some Touch.

I also really love December and Death and Destruction off Maladroit, and that whole album doesn't receive the praise it deserves, in my opinion.

Possibilities! YES that song is amazing!  And of course Sandwiches Time.

Gregor =w= Langbehn said:

This is such a hard decision because I always think their singles are the worst tracks on the album.  And to further this, my favorite weezer songs never make it onto albums.  For example:

Brightening Day

The entire Album 5 demos - piano versions and guitar versions

The Christmas Song

Possibilities (this is such a cool punk song)

Sandwiches Time

Yeah, definitely Put Me Back Together.

It's so underrated that I forgot to mention it, and I love it!

The Angel and the One

Put Me Back Together

Trainwrecks

Photograph

The State Farm jingle ;)

Very good lists all around. I would have, however, Angel and the One at the top of any of the lists, because its easily one of the top 3 best Weezer songs and yet it hasn't even been played live once. Not to mention how critics barely noticed it.
My agreements. Especially regarding the State Farm song.

America said:

The Angle and the One

Put Me Back Together

Trainwrecks

Photograph

The State Farm jingle ;)

Indeed, that is pretty much the perfect list of Weezer's most underrated songs.

America said:

The Angle and the One

Put Me Back Together

Trainwrecks

Photograph

The State Farm jingle ;)

Gross

The dreWid said:
All of maladroit. 

Longtime Sunshine

I Swear It's True

The Prettiest Girl in the Whole Wide World

Hot Tub

Can't Stop Partying (Don't get all riled up. I mean the acoustic version.)

THIS SO MUCH. ugh it hurts. I didn't include it in my list since the fans typically all love it but man I remember reading the reviews for Red and the critics didn't even bother. It's like they all received the 8 track leak we had and just reviewed the album based off that.

Rikx said:
Very good lists all around. I would have, however, Angel and the One at the top of any of the lists, because its easily one of the top 3 best Weezer songs and yet it hasn't even been played live once. Not to mention how critics barely noticed it.
ahah, i was about to say longtime sunshine and i swear it's true. GOOD CALL MR.SWEENEY.

Mr. Sweeney said:

Longtime Sunshine

I Swear It's True

The Prettiest Girl in the Whole Wide World

Hot Tub

Can't Stop Partying (Don't get all riled up. I mean the acoustic version.)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video