I started this thread in the old Red (wow it's weird to say "old Red") boards and thought I should bring it back considering we now have 3 more albums to include in this discussion. I'm listing anything released under the Weezer name (so this wouldn't include anything necessarily from Alone or any of Rivers assorted solo songs). Here are my Top 5 choices:

1. Hold Me - Accused of being too mopey even by Make Believe standards, I personally think it's one of my favorite Weezer songs. Everything from the second verse on, including the bgvs, the bridge, the solo, the outro. Just a beautifully constructed song.

2. Time Flies - While Run Away typically gets all of the attention (and rightfully so) I think Time Flies is genuinely one of the best PP songs. The lyrics feel genuine, and the way it's presented on the album is unique (in that it's basically a wobbly demo). Also, hearing this playing over the speakers as the Memories show came to a close was a real treat.

3. Mad Kow - the stand out song for me from s2k and the album 5 sessions. I can't decide which version i love more (the 2000 version with the riff or the piano version) but that melody gets me every time.

4. The Prettiest Girl in the Whole Wide World - I'm including this in here because personally it's been a holy grail kind of track for me since I got a hold of that RCB bootleg back in 1998 and don't think it gets the true cred it deserves. While the 2009 version doesn't include the awesome breakdown that I grew up listening to (nor the overwhelming bass although that was more of a result of where the bootlegger's was standing as he/she was recording the show) it may easily be the only good thing to come out of the Raditude era. If only the rest of that album were more of this and less Let It All Hang Out.

5. So Low - the original no hobo version. A great power pop rock tune that unfortunately we don't even have a studio demo of. One of the best hooks Rivers has even penned in my opinion.

Views: 513

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with all your choices, although I'm not a huge Time Flies fan. I'd throw Private Message in there instead.
Those are pretty good, I'd also throw in "The Story Of My Life". It's a pretty powerful song.
Iawtp
Exactly.

Michael Barrios said:
Those are pretty good, I'd also throw in "The Story Of My Life". It's a pretty powerful song.
I think the world has turned and left me here and in the garage should be included.
You think those songs are underrated?

Fyodor Votskojek said:
I think the world has turned and left me here and in the garage should be included.
Well, I think he's saying those compared to other Blue songs. Most people know Buddy Holly and Say It Ain't So.

Michael Barrios said:
You think those songs are underrated?

Fyodor Votskojek said:
peace and photograph
ditto

onassis said:
peace and photograph
also, i feel like compared to other albums, maladroit didn't get as much attention as it deserved. burndt jamb cries out for vengeance!
I agree, Hold me is one of my favorite weezer songs.  Love love love it.
All of maladroit. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video