Now that Hurley is out, what do you guys think of how the band has changed and is changing?

Do you think they're doing better or worse?

What do you think is going to happen to them within the next for years or in other words what do you see happening to their music in the next 1, 2, or 3 albums?

Tags: album, albums, direction, future, going, is, on, thoughts, weezer, where

Views: 564

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think they will do what they want.

They ain't got a thing to prove to you.

magicalcharlie said:
BackToSchool said:
I don't hear any gems here, just Raditude with less production.

MozMan68 said: totally right, and as to where they're going, sure as hell ain't to australia anytime soon!
Haha! Good one! 

Daniel [bleed0range] said:
I don't know where they're going, but I know they'll figure it out.
Oh yeah!!!

Eileen S said:
People, please stop dissing Weezer, especially Rivers!!! Why in the world are you doing on here if you just want to trash them? Nobody wants eight Pinkerton-esque albums. While Pinkerton is a great album, all they're other stuff is great too. It's Weezer, how could you not love it? Anyway, do you even think that same guy who wrote Pork and Beans is going to care what the heck we think?

Listen, I don't mean to offend anyone, but I'm getting sick and tired of Pinkerton obbessers who hate every other Weezer album besides Blue and Pink.
What attitude , if you don't like this "crap" then stop listening to it , or if you're REALLY a huge fan (which I'm sure all of us know you are) stop whining/complaining about it. I'm not avoiding discussion ...I had work at the time I posted that , kinda had to rush XD. Holy crap O_o , relax man.

BackToSchool said:
See, this attitude is ridiculous to me. I'm not going to turn off my brain and suddenly like this kind of crap. The "haters" thing is such a dumb way to avoid discussion. I don't like it so I'm a "hater". Good grief. Isn't this the Musical Discussion Forum?

Killer Tofu said:
"Smart Girls" admittley is the only song I hate on the album. "Where's my sex" is pure comedic gold. If you take that song seriously Idk what else to say. Haters gonna hate.

BackToSchool said:
Is it any less awkward for a 40 year to be singing songs like "Where's my Sex" and "Smart Girls"?

Killer Tofu said:
You know there's always going to be those fans that were from way back when a perticular band suchs as this just started , and they have this completely different view upon how their music should be. Some other fans are actually working in that industry and have a completely realistic approach to how their music should be.

...I am neither of those things XD.

Personally I think Hurley is the best album Weezer has put out in the last 5 years , and I LOVED Red Album regardless of whatever some critical schmuck said about it. That to me was a fun album and a good time for me because I was close to finishing high school and a lot of things felt weird , and that album was just good times and I actually liked what the other members sung :).

Hurley has such an awesome vibe to it , like they just ran into a studio with not too much practice and wrote some songs. Which if I recall that is what they did ...right? In any case I like how it has elements of older albums and kinda has like a semi poppy tone like Green had. And that's good because it's not going overboard on the poppiness like Radititude did (-shivers-). Don't get me wrong Rad wasn't bad , but considering I only like to like 2 or 3 of the songs now , I can easily say my feelings on it when I purchased it have changed redonkulusly before Hurley came out.

I like the way every song pertains to like a deep thought but at the same time it's still got it's elements of badassery. Like "Unspoken". That song itself is just fantastic , it's all sad and slow at the beginning and then it just goes BOOM at the end. Same with "Run Away" , starts off all slow and then it just picks up instantly. I mean that's just awesome.

And I'm no expert at music stuff but I can easily say this cd had more effort put into it , by having less pressure put on them. I think the fact is Geffen drove them into the ground and this Epitaph move just made things better and easier for them to write a cd again. Just my 2 cents on that.

Regardless even if you're super critical , you really can't even LIE and say this is a bad album. They're not gonna be like what you want them to be and even if they remained that way it'd be akward to hear a 40 something year old sing about being alone in his garage. I'd rather have it this way where it's still rock with some small hints of pop in it. Btw , "Smart Girls" ....I hate that song lol. I 'd say I like 9/10 songs on this album , which for me personally is saying something. So I can only see them going up from here. Hopefully I don't choke on my words.
could you tell me where to find this stuff, i'm interested..

BackToSchool said:
That's your problem. I'm not a "pinkerton obsesser" and for the last goddamn time: I'm not asking for PInkerton Part II.

It is not "all or nothing". Rivers can and should write a great record and it doesn't have to sound like PInkerton, just like Pinkerton doesn't sound like Blue. Why is this so hard to get? Once upon a time, this band had almost 4 albums worth of material, none of which sounded the same, but still retained the things that were unique about Rivers' voice as a lyricist and the band's style, which was their own.

Now they're jumping all over the place, releasing inconsistent or just plain bad albums with cheesy songs, bad production and way too many hands in the cookie jar.

It's pretty easy to not love what they're doing now- because I'm not so attached to them that I'm going to put blinders on and pretend there hasn't been an obvious decline in the quality of their music. Rivers doesn't need you to defend him.

I strongly advise everyone who thinks Rivers is some super nice guy who hasn't intentionally given the F-U to his old fans to go read the archives of the RCB. He's doing what he's doing on purpose. There's no real mystery. Hurley is beneath him.
I like the direction they're going. And I've enjoyed every loop and turn they've taken so far.

Viva la =w=
BTS-

I took your advice and read the archives from RCB which I hadn't read in eons. Holy sh*t, while I appreciate that Ace was accessible and open to fans, I absolutely would have been totally turned off by his attitude and by, in so many words, scoffing at fans who loved Blue/Pinkerton and were lukewarm on Green/Mally. I'm not sure if he was in a bad place at the time or what. One could assume that his view on Blue/Pinkerton has changed in light of the Memories Tour, yes?

What say you?
Yeah, for real. That whole time was such an eye opener and for me it was the end. I hated Maladroit anyway, but I hated even more the way Rivers acted.

Plus, no matter how many little 14 year olds try to tell me off--Maladroit is b*******.

Anyway, I don't think his attitude has changed. I think the Memories tour is all about:

A. money
B. trying to bring back old fans

If his attitude had really changed, he wouldn't be trying to sneak in a "greatest hits" set chock full of the material that is the entire reason old fans don't support the band anymore. I'm not going to show up to hear Pinkerton and suddenly decide "hey american gigolo is not so bad after all..."

If he really wants his old fanbase back (and I'm not really convinced he does), he'll make a good record.

Marc said:
BTS-
I took your advice and read the archives from RCB which I hadn't read in eons. Holy sh*t, while I appreciate that Ace was accessible and open to fans, I absolutely would have been totally turned off by his attitude and by, in so many words, scoffing at fans who loved Blue/Pinkerton and were lukewarm on Green/Mally. I'm not sure if he was in a bad place at the time or what. One could assume that his view on Blue/Pinkerton has changed in light of the Memories Tour, yes? What say you?
What's this RCB stuff? I want to read it.

Marc said:
BTS-

I took your advice and read the archives from RCB which I hadn't read in eons. Holy sh*t, while I appreciate that Ace was accessible and open to fans, I absolutely would have been totally turned off by his attitude and by, in so many words, scoffing at fans who loved Blue/Pinkerton and were lukewarm on Green/Mally. I'm not sure if he was in a bad place at the time or what. One could assume that his view on Blue/Pinkerton has changed in light of the Memories Tour, yes?

What say you?
You'll have to do some digging---- but basically we have Blue, Pinkerton, SFBTH (which has almost been fully released) and then the Rivers Cuomo Band material- much of which was tackled in the original album 3 sessions. To that we can add the SS2k material. That's 4 albums worth of stuff that most old fans like. Followed by now 6 albums of stuff we don't.

anarchocapitalist said:
could you tell me where to find this stuff, i'm interested..

BackToSchool said:
That's your problem. I'm not a "pinkerton obsesser" and for the last goddamn time: I'm not asking for PInkerton Part II.

It is not "all or nothing". Rivers can and should write a great record and it doesn't have to sound like PInkerton, just like Pinkerton doesn't sound like Blue. Why is this so hard to get? Once upon a time, this band had almost 4 albums worth of material, none of which sounded the same, but still retained the things that were unique about Rivers' voice as a lyricist and the band's style, which was their own.

Now they're jumping all over the place, releasing inconsistent or just plain bad albums with cheesy songs, bad production and way too many hands in the cookie jar.

It's pretty easy to not love what they're doing now- because I'm not so attached to them that I'm going to put blinders on and pretend there hasn't been an obvious decline in the quality of their music. Rivers doesn't need you to defend him.

I strongly advise everyone who thinks Rivers is some super nice guy who hasn't intentionally given the F-U to his old fans to go read the archives of the RCB. He's doing what he's doing on purpose. There's no real mystery. Hurley is beneath him.
I pretty much have stopped listening to it- in fact, I don't own any of the band's post-Pinkerton releases. But I'm not going to say nothing about it. It's your right to like this stuff and talk about how "amazing" you think it is or whatever and it's my right to hate this stuff and to explain why I hate it.

I'm not a "huge fan". I'm hardly a "fan" at all. And I don't take that as an insult- if being a fan means you never take a critical eye toward the band and you just automatically like and defend everything they do, then I have absolutely zero interest in being that kind of fan. Of any band.

Killer Tofu said:
What attitude , if you don't like this "crap" then stop listening to it , or if you're REALLY a huge fan (which I'm sure all of us know you are) stop whining/complaining about it. I'm not avoiding discussion ...I had work at the time I posted that , kinda had to rush XD. Holy crap O_o , relax man.

BackToSchool said:
See, this attitude is ridiculous to me. I'm not going to turn off my brain and suddenly like this kind of crap. The "haters" thing is such a dumb way to avoid discussion. I don't like it so I'm a "hater". Good grief. Isn't this the Musical Discussion Forum?

Killer Tofu said:
"Smart Girls" admittley is the only song I hate on the album. "Where's my sex" is pure comedic gold. If you take that song seriously Idk what else to say. Haters gonna hate.

BackToSchool said:
Is it any less awkward for a 40 year to be singing songs like "Where's my Sex" and "Smart Girls"?

Killer Tofu said:
You know there's always going to be those fans that were from way back when a perticular band suchs as this just started , and they have this completely different view upon how their music should be. Some other fans are actually working in that industry and have a completely realistic approach to how their music should be.

...I am neither of those things XD.

Personally I think Hurley is the best album Weezer has put out in the last 5 years , and I LOVED Red Album regardless of whatever some critical schmuck said about it. That to me was a fun album and a good time for me because I was close to finishing high school and a lot of things felt weird , and that album was just good times and I actually liked what the other members sung :).

Hurley has such an awesome vibe to it , like they just ran into a studio with not too much practice and wrote some songs. Which if I recall that is what they did ...right? In any case I like how it has elements of older albums and kinda has like a semi poppy tone like Green had. And that's good because it's not going overboard on the poppiness like Radititude did (-shivers-). Don't get me wrong Rad wasn't bad , but considering I only like to like 2 or 3 of the songs now , I can easily say my feelings on it when I purchased it have changed redonkulusly before Hurley came out.

I like the way every song pertains to like a deep thought but at the same time it's still got it's elements of badassery. Like "Unspoken". That song itself is just fantastic , it's all sad and slow at the beginning and then it just goes BOOM at the end. Same with "Run Away" , starts off all slow and then it just picks up instantly. I mean that's just awesome.

And I'm no expert at music stuff but I can easily say this cd had more effort put into it , by having less pressure put on them. I think the fact is Geffen drove them into the ground and this Epitaph move just made things better and easier for them to write a cd again. Just my 2 cents on that.

Regardless even if you're super critical , you really can't even LIE and say this is a bad album. They're not gonna be like what you want them to be and even if they remained that way it'd be akward to hear a 40 something year old sing about being alone in his garage. I'd rather have it this way where it's still rock with some small hints of pop in it. Btw , "Smart Girls" ....I hate that song lol. I 'd say I like 9/10 songs on this album , which for me personally is saying something. So I can only see them going up from here. Hopefully I don't choke on my words.
People are still going on about this? Hasn't everything been said at this point?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video