Now that Hurley is out, what do you guys think of how the band has changed and is changing?

Do you think they're doing better or worse?

What do you think is going to happen to them within the next for years or in other words what do you see happening to their music in the next 1, 2, or 3 albums?

Tags: album, albums, direction, future, going, is, on, thoughts, weezer, where

Views: 580

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Personally, I think that they're changing for the better. I feel like things are only going to get better from here on out. To me this change in sound is what I would have expected after Pinkerton. It's their good old sound that we love, only it's been improved. It's like they went back in time to their old selves with the knowledge that they have now.

I love it and I'm on the edge of my chair waiting to hear what comes out of the genius that is Rivers Cuomo next.
I don't know where they're going, but I know they'll figure it out.
Did weezer commission Aqua to help write this album?
This belongs in ATW.
there was a interview with brian (dont have the link yet) but he said there is many years of weezer tome come :-)

awww yeeaahh
they wanna go back to the good life
They're doing worse, far worse. Basically, I've said this a million times, but I honestly cannot fathom what there is to really get excited about with their new material. It says nothing and it mostly goes nowhere. Most of the songs are as formulaic as can be, and the few that aren't still really aren't good. The lyrical sentiments are cliched, the guitar solos are mostly thoughtless when they appear, the progressions are tired...it's just a lot of dumb music.

The only reason Weezer is so bad now is because Rivers can churn out melodies, fit some paint-by-numbers lyrics to them, add distortion and voila: the next Weezer album. And it will sell and there will be tons of nostalgic people here calling it a "Return to form" if Rivers emotes a little. With such an uncritical new fanbase, why should he bother to try doing anything really challenging?

But this is not at all the conditions the first two records were written under and it was not at all Rivers' songwriting approach then. In his obsessive detailing of pop structures after the Pinkerton flop, the guy seems to have forgotten that the whole point of learning those rules is to be able to break them for artistic reasons. But Rivers is not interested in producing art, he's interested in producing ear candy. It's so strange to me that this guy is so obsessed with Nirvana...Kurt Cobain did not give two s**** about being famous and he was not the least bit afraid to express/expose himself and fail at it. Rivers in the 90's was the successor to Cobain in that respect, but he was a better songwriter. Now he's not even close and ironically it's because he figured out all the superficial trappings of Kurt's aesthetic while shedding all the heart and meaning.

This band is barely a shadow of itself. I can't see their music getting any better unless Rivers changes his mindset- and if crap like Make Believe can go platinum, then why should he, really?
They will be good again if they can some how talk Matt sharp into rejoining their ranks... But why would he ? The rentals new albums are amazing
What? No. Matt Sharp stole The Rentals sound from Rivers' solo demos for SFTBH- and he never wrote a song that even comes close to those.

Also, the idea that he had any meaningful impact on the band other than playing the parts Rivers wrote and singing the parts Rivers wrote is nonsense. Matt Sharp had nothing to do with Weezer being good and he has nothing to do with why they are bad now. For proof of this, see Weezer's cover of "Velouria", "1000 years" and most of the ss2k material.

Weezer would have released a great album in 98 without Matt Sharp, because Rivers' attitude about song-writing hadn't yet been totally changed for the worse.
How Cool is That? Too bad i don't have anyone's diary to read.
Let's be honest with ourself here folks. Rivers Cuomo is not in the same place in life he was back before Blue. I have always said that depression and lonlieness are often the best muse for a musician. When you're happily married with a child then your life situation is vastly different than when you were alone in an apartment somewhere. I think if Rivers went back to writing about being dumped then it wouldn't be genuine.
Of course they are going to change. They have changed their sound after each individual album. None of the eight albums are the same. Which is why I love Weezer. I think we're going to see a more youthful Weezer on their next album based on what I've read.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video