Now that Hurley is out, what do you guys think of how the band has changed and is changing?

Do you think they're doing better or worse?

What do you think is going to happen to them within the next for years or in other words what do you see happening to their music in the next 1, 2, or 3 albums?

Tags: album, albums, direction, future, going, is, on, thoughts, weezer, where

Views: 580

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Of course, but how many massive bands have you noticed in the past that made such a drastic change from era defining rock to cheesy, ear candy pop?
Such bands like Nirvana, Beatles, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The clash etc always kept their signature sound, of course making making alterations in individual songs to explore different sounds.
The difference is although you may enjoy Hurley, Raditude, Red etc, the songs have happy vibes and are all playful, they do not have the substance of original Weezer.
With these new albums you just listen to the tracks and boogie to the upbeat instrumentals, listen to Rivers sing on his female infatuations and hear him immaturely play on words like "socks" with his voice emphasizing on words to try and make the lyrics more catchy and so we could hear his different voice progressions and instrumentals that just sound the same throughout each song?
I bought Hurley and Raditude, had some fun listening to them, but move on to other artists songs quite quickly. I still find myself today listening to Pinkerton, Blue and odd demos/ b sides that are not too different.
If only Weezer made this sort of music when they started, I would't have minded and would just not listen to them, It's just that their old stuff mean so much to me, the guitar progressions, solos and Rivers emotions felt through his voice and all the sounds he makes really touched me.
I could relate to many of the songs as I feel they state the way I feel about things, mostly in Pinkerton, but even the songs I don't relate to at a personal level, I still love them for what they tell and their power.
I could listen to everything on Blue and Pinkerton time and time again, I don't feel I could do that with their new stuff, I could only listen to Hurley in its entirety once.
It seems all Rivers cares about is to try and satisfy the teen market for pop, with the use of online gimicks such as youtube to boost their revenue and gain more fans of that category, and I can say some of my friends who are fans actually fall to that category of people.
As I am 15, I cant really consider myself a Weezer "Geezer", my first Weezer song was actually "Island in the Sun", but their new music just does not suit me.
I don't mind a good bit of funky dance pop music whilst I'm out at parties and clubs, but hearing stuff from Weezer whilst doing so just does not feel right
Of course you can have your own opinion on what you feel for the modern works of Weezer, but don't feel surprised that some people rant on this as what music was made then and now, is incomparable.
The only reason why people continue to complain on this, is because they still feel bad about the music change, even after about 9 years of this change, they are still concerned about it as the first albums still means a lot to them (or at least that is how I feel).

arena ready said:
Why do people always want bands to sound and write the same way they did at the beginning of their career? Weezer is an amazing band that has churned out exciting infectious rock and roll songs for the last 16 years or so. Red Album, Raditude and Hurley are all great.

Sinnorf said:
Such bands like Nirvana, Beatles, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The clash etc always kept their signature sound, of course making making alterations in individual songs to explore different sounds.

Nirvana did not have enough time as a band to change their sound, and they were falling apart anyways. The Beatles definitely changed their sound. I find RHCP boring because everything's the same (Maybe 4 good songs on Stadium Arcadium).
The Red Hot Chili Peppers are far from boring.

elscorcho said:

Sinnorf said:

Nirvana did not have enough time as a band to change their sound, and they were falling apart anyways. The Beatles definitely changed their sound. I find RHCP boring because everything's the same (Maybe 4 good songs on Stadium Arcadium).
I'm sorry but this is just evidence that you don't know anything about songwriting. The songwriting HAS changed, drastically.

The melodic turns Rivers selects are different, he rarely writes bridges anymore and when he does, they don't advance the song anywhere, he virtually never modulates anymore, he hardly writes guitar solos and when he does they are scale-wankers rather than constructed solos, he almost never uses counterpoint, the vocal motifs he writes are shorter...his lyrics are almost completely depth-less now, he rarely uses substitution chords anymore, he rarely alters the instrumental arrangements from verse to verse, it goes on and on and on.

Pretending like Weezer are the same band they've always been is the absolute height of ignorance. You like what they're doing now- fine, but don't try to tell me it's not totally different. It is. You just don't know what you're listening to.

Ross Thomas said:

I just don't think Weezer have changed as much as everyone says here. The production is very different but the songwriting isn't really. Good life as an example has just the same clunky geek chic lines that Raditude gets blasted for.

Sinnorf said:
It's funny how people are so pissed about how Weezer are now that they even try to start a campaign fund raise $10 million to get them to split http://www.spinnermusic.co.uk/2010/10/06/weezer-split-campaign/.
I don't get why people who think like that don't just stop listening to Weezer and accept what they have become.
I love their first 2 albums and Pinkerton has to be the album that had the greatest influence on my life, but Rivers admits he is a completely different person then to now, and basically tries to say it was just his mood and how his life was going at the time that he used as an inspiration for such music.
I do believe if he had not snapped out from the hard times he was having, he would have continued a legacy similarly to Kurt Cobain, especially with his reputation of letting things get to him and his reaction to depression.
Rivers changed his style of music because he could not take criticism with what he took seriously, putting his mind and heart into his music. I think this started off when Weezer were tagged as a "geek" band, then following by the "failure" of Pinkerton that he just broke down and took a break, considering changing the style of his music and up his confidence so his figure and reputation would be reconsidered, almost trying to redeem himself from the "geek" image originally perceived from him, to a more upbeat, football fanatic and happy, loving family man with a sense of humour.
I must admit, I do like a a fair amount of 21st century Weezer, but I find it just being too different to their original work, it seems Rivers just wants to experiment time and time again to find his own sound that pleases all fans, rather than just continue writing music the way he did 14 years ago (I read in a recent interview on Kerrang magazine [British Rock magazine] that RIvers doesn't like the sound of his own stuff, as he feels Weezer get too much credit for the sound produced, saying he felt bad every time listening to his old work, as when he hears the songs all he hears are the copied ideas from other bands, if I remember straight :P).
I suppose a lot more of what went through the Weezer world since they made quality music will be understood when "The Pinkerton Diaries" gets released.
Slowly, with all of Weezer's new songs, I think would just stop bothering to buy their albums and listening to songs they produce, but Blue and Pinkerton will always have a place on my heart.
This is just my opinion and I what I have said is nothing new and is repeated all the time with Weezer discussions, so please don't flame me with that.
This is my first post, and would just like to compliment that the forums seem great with great discussions and great community of people with different opinions.
Thanks.

I do know what I'm talking about, it sounds as though you are dissecting the music in a way that theorists often do - looking for things in music that the composer didn't even think about when composing the song. There are some amazing solos on Maladroit for example as a reaction to the ones on Green which were deliberately following the lead vocal melodies, Rivers just keeps changing what he's doing. I do sympathize with your plight though, I had a real issue with how Pearl Jam changed around Binaural/Riot Act, it's never good when you feel a band are going down a road you don't like. For me Weezer have always been hit and miss and I take the good with the bad cos there is enough good to keep me coming back. Consistant they are certainly not!

BackToSchool said:
I'm sorry but this is just evidence that you don't know anything about songwriting. The songwriting HAS changed, drastically.

The melodic turns Rivers selects are different, he rarely writes bridges anymore and when he does, they don't advance the song anywhere, he virtually never modulates anymore, he hardly writes guitar solos and when he does they are scale-wankers rather than constructed solos, he almost never uses counterpoint, the vocal motifs he writes are shorter...his lyrics are almost completely depth-less now, he rarely uses substitution chords anymore, he rarely alters the instrumental arrangements from verse to verse, it goes on and on and on.

Pretending like Weezer are the same band they've always been is the absolute height of ignorance. You like what they're doing now- fine, but don't try to tell me it's not totally different. It is. You just don't know what you're listening to.

Ross Thomas said:

I just don't think Weezer have changed as much as everyone says here. The production is very different but the songwriting isn't really. Good life as an example has just the same clunky geek chic lines that Raditude gets blasted for.

Sinnorf said:
It's funny how people are so pissed about how Weezer are now that they even try to start a campaign fund raise $10 million to get them to split http://www.spinnermusic.co.uk/2010/10/06/weezer-split-campaign/.
I don't get why people who think like that don't just stop listening to Weezer and accept what they have become.
I love their first 2 albums and Pinkerton has to be the album that had the greatest influence on my life, but Rivers admits he is a completely different person then to now, and basically tries to say it was just his mood and how his life was going at the time that he used as an inspiration for such music.
I do believe if he had not snapped out from the hard times he was having, he would have continued a legacy similarly to Kurt Cobain, especially with his reputation of letting things get to him and his reaction to depression.
Rivers changed his style of music because he could not take criticism with what he took seriously, putting his mind and heart into his music. I think this started off when Weezer were tagged as a "geek" band, then following by the "failure" of Pinkerton that he just broke down and took a break, considering changing the style of his music and up his confidence so his figure and reputation would be reconsidered, almost trying to redeem himself from the "geek" image originally perceived from him, to a more upbeat, football fanatic and happy, loving family man with a sense of humour.
I must admit, I do like a a fair amount of 21st century Weezer, but I find it just being too different to their original work, it seems Rivers just wants to experiment time and time again to find his own sound that pleases all fans, rather than just continue writing music the way he did 14 years ago (I read in a recent interview on Kerrang magazine [British Rock magazine] that RIvers doesn't like the sound of his own stuff, as he feels Weezer get too much credit for the sound produced, saying he felt bad every time listening to his old work, as when he hears the songs all he hears are the copied ideas from other bands, if I remember straight :P).
I suppose a lot more of what went through the Weezer world since they made quality music will be understood when "The Pinkerton Diaries" gets released.
Slowly, with all of Weezer's new songs, I think would just stop bothering to buy their albums and listening to songs they produce, but Blue and Pinkerton will always have a place on my heart.
This is just my opinion and I what I have said is nothing new and is repeated all the time with Weezer discussions, so please don't flame me with that.
This is my first post, and would just like to compliment that the forums seem great with great discussions and great community of people with different opinions.
Thanks.
AAR and Good Charlotte didn't write raditude though. because most of raditude is good. those bands wouldn't be able to write such a good album. so no, personally i would not have liked the album had one of those bands written it because it wouldnt have been as good. thought perhaps love is the answer wouldnt have sounded the way it does.

Marc said:
Let me ask you this regarding Raditude once again....

If pop bands that are the constant butt of ridicule wrote Raditude such as Good Charlotte or AAR would the album still be awesome? Same songs, keys, time signatures, lyrics, etc....

Somehow I think your answer will be different.
Totally missed the point.

j-biebs said:
you're missing the point.

jamesmadrox said:
AAR and Good Charlotte didn't write raditude though. because most of raditude is good. those bands wouldn't be able to write such a good album. so no, personally i would not have liked the album had one of those bands written it because it wouldnt have been as good. thought perhaps love is the answer wouldnt have sounded the way it does.

Marc said:
Let me ask you this regarding Raditude once again....

If pop bands that are the constant butt of ridicule wrote Raditude such as Good Charlotte or AAR would the album still be awesome? Same songs, keys, time signatures, lyrics, etc....

Somehow I think your answer will be different.
rivers has said, "Hurley was kind of dark, and the new songs sound like you’re 16, riding your bicycle to get a Slurpee"......raditude part 2?

kaka said:
welcome to: http://www.fashiongoods.us

The website wholesale for many kinds of fashion shoes, like the

nike,jordan,prada, also including the je ans,shirts,bags,hat and the

decorations. All the products are free shipping, and the the price is

competitive, and also can accept the paypal payment.,after the payment,

can ship within short time.

free shipping

competitive price

any size available

accept the paypal

http://www.fashiongoods.us

SOCCER JERSEY 16USD
jordan shoes $32

nike s h o x $32

Christan Audigier bikini $23

Ed Hardy Bikini $23

Smful short_t-shirt_woman $15

ed hardy short_tank_woman $16

Sandal $32

christian louboutin $80

Sunglass $15

COACH_Necklace $27

handbag $33

AF tank woman $17

puma slipper woman $30

http://www.fashiongoods.us

WHO ARE YOU!?
woah i dont like the sound of that! hurley, dark?!

musiconmymind08 said:
rivers has said, "Hurley was kind of dark, and the new songs sound like you’re 16, riding your bicycle to get a Slurpee"......raditude part 2?
The composer definitely thought about it. Rivers took theory and composition courses at Harvard prior to writing Pinkerton and he obviously used what he learned to write sections of the songs. The solos in "Across the Sea", "Pink Triangle" and "Falling For You" did not happen by accident.

Also, the Maladroit solos happened because people complained about the Green solos, not because Rivers himself was reacting to Green. The Maladroit solos are not well developed at all compared to Pinkerton or, for that matter, Blue. Most of them are just scale-shredding. Listen to "Love Explosion", he's just moving stepwise up and down the scale for most of the tune. They are mostly not composed solos, but fairly improvised ones. The technique is good of course because Rivers is a very good guitarist, but the solos mostly say nothing.

Rivers himself admitted in 05 that the songwriting on "Maladroit" was "weak". And he was right.

Ross Thomas said:

I do know what I'm talking about, it sounds as though you are dissecting the music in a way that theorists often do - looking for things in music that the composer didn't even think about when composing the song. There are some amazing solos on Maladroit for example as a reaction to the ones on Green which were deliberately following the lead vocal melodies, Rivers just keeps changing what he's doing. I do sympathize with your plight though, I had a real issue with how Pearl Jam changed around Binaural/Riot Act, it's never good when you feel a band are going down a road you don't like. For me Weezer have always been hit and miss and I take the good with the bad cos there is enough good to keep me coming back. Consistant they are certainly not!

BackToSchool said:

Ross Thomas said:

Sinnorf said:
Thanks.
I think they need to keep expanding their fan bases in places like Canada and not just Ontario

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video