Now that Hurley is out, what do you guys think of how the band has changed and is changing?

Do you think they're doing better or worse?

What do you think is going to happen to them within the next for years or in other words what do you see happening to their music in the next 1, 2, or 3 albums?

Tags: album, albums, direction, future, going, is, on, thoughts, weezer, where

Views: 581

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Hurley" is Rivers' thoughts on this, to my mind.
I think "I Want To Be Something" is totally meh. That whole "I want to be something here I am" part is just lame to me. This is like a high school graduation song or something.

And here's the problem with the point you're trying to make. I liked Pinkerton instantly and then I dug into it and that process only revealed more details and things to admire, about the performances, about the songs, the way they were written, the overall sonic "aesthetic" of the album.

I didn't like virtually anything on this album instantly and I have little to no desire to dig into it. Besides all that I know full well from my first listen that multiple listens of this album are not going to be particularly rewarding for me. Not one of these songs really seems to contain even an iota of what I liked about Weezer in the 90's, other than really superficial similarities. But I've heard all these songs outside the context of my listen through the whole album as well and they most certainly aren't growing on me.


GalaxyDuster said:
I'm 26, and you're right - the lyrics are more meaningful to me now, although I wouldn't say they were over my head even back then.
I still think you need to give a few extra listens to some of the newer stuff before you just throw it away. The more I listen to Hurley, the more I pick the meaning out of the lyrics, the more I grow to (yes, actually) love it. Like I said before, just imagine how many times you've listened to the first two albums, to pick out all the details. At least afford half of that courtesy to this album before you totally dismiss it.
Also, I'm curious, what did you think of I Want To Be Something ?
...but that is probably what has made them so successful in a way...I don't agree with it either, but they certainly haven't faded into oblivion despite it all. Every year I can count on seeing them on some t.v. show playing there latest song...I'm not sure there is another band that has been able to do that.

I'm still just tickled pink that Hurley has what I feel are so many songs that remind me of that Weezer sound I fell in love with....I felt like I had to wade through too much crap on the last two albums to find some gems I actually liked....but that's probably my fault for buying the deluxe editions with 50 different remixes, videos and demos included... ;)

BackToSchool said:
The band's legacy as a serious band was at stake and when faced with that pressure, Rivers blinked and decided to go ahead and make Weezer into what they were never supposed to be: a novelty pop band. And I can't stand that. It doesn't make me "close-minded" because I hate seeing a band that once resonated with me become a band that puts out joke albums and Weezer branded snuggies.



Corey Gregory said:
I am just going to pout this out there right now. The close minded kids who only like Blue and Pinkerton have their time to shine this year with P : DE and Alone 3. But in all honesty Weezer is never going to go back to that in a studio album. So everyone should take Weezer albums for what they are, and not what they aren't. I mean, don't get me wrong, my favorites by a long shot are Blue and Pinkerton, but still. The only album that is unlistenable for me is Raditude and that even has a few gems on it.
Realistically, though-- that's all the result of the Blue album, without which this band would have entered this decade pretty much D.O.A.

I don't understand what about Hurley reminds you of old Weezer other than the fact that Rivers is singing with a little more edge. The lyrics are as bad as they've ever been, there's virtually no guitar solos... the song structures are still pretty strophic, the guitar tone is nothing like it was in the 90's and the songs themselves sound tossed off. Where's the texture? This band used to use feedback in very musical ways like no other band of their time...there's hardly any of that here other than that feedback swell in "Unspoken". I don't hear any gems here, just Raditude with less production.

MozMan68 said:
...but that is probably what has made them so successful in a way...I don't agree with it either, but they certainly haven't faded into oblivion despite it all. Every year I can count on seeing them on some t.v. show playing there latest song...I'm not sure there is another band that has been able to do that.

I'm still just tickled pink that Hurley has what I feel are so many songs that remind me of that Weezer sound I fell in love with....I felt like I had to wade through too much crap on the last two albums to find some gems I actually liked....but that's probably my fault for buying the deluxe editions with 50 different remixes, videos and demos included... ;)

BackToSchool said:
The band's legacy as a serious band was at stake and when faced with that pressure, Rivers blinked and decided to go ahead and make Weezer into what they were never supposed to be: a novelty pop band. And I can't stand that. It doesn't make me "close-minded" because I hate seeing a band that once resonated with me become a band that puts out joke albums and Weezer branded snuggies.



Corey Gregory said:
I am just going to pout this out there right now. The close minded kids who only like Blue and Pinkerton have their time to shine this year with P : DE and Alone 3. But in all honesty Weezer is never going to go back to that in a studio album. So everyone should take Weezer albums for what they are, and not what they aren't. I mean, don't get me wrong, my favorites by a long shot are Blue and Pinkerton, but still. The only album that is unlistenable for me is Raditude and that even has a few gems on it.
BTS: C'mon Rivers stole that from Billy Corgan. He was master of the Fuzz...and before him, Mudhoney.
Like I said before, It really is just the consistency of the album...haven't seen that since Make Believe IMHO.

It's not that I didn't like songs on Red or Raditude; I just had a hard time listening from end to end and feeling like there was some thought put into creating a consistent flow or "sound"....I think a lot of that had to do with the input from others (not Rivers-centric).

Maybe that's the case with Hurley as well and they just chose to produce it with more consistency...either way, I like it and listening to it. I'm not going to over-analyze it (at least not yet)....just enjoying it immensely.

BackToSchool said:
Realistically, though-- that's all the result of the Blue album, without which this band would have entered this decade pretty much D.O.A.

I don't understand what about Hurley reminds you of old Weezer other than the fact that Rivers is singing with a little more edge. The lyrics are as bad as they've ever been, there's virtually no guitar solos... the song structures are still pretty strophic, the guitar tone is nothing like it was in the 90's and the songs themselves sound tossed off. Where's the texture? This band used to use feedback in very musical ways like no other band of their time...there's hardly any of that here other than that feedback swell in "Unspoken". I don't hear any gems here, just Raditude with less production.

MozMan68 said:
...but that is probably what has made them so successful in a way...I don't agree with it either, but they certainly haven't faded into oblivion despite it all. Every year I can count on seeing them on some t.v. show playing there latest song...I'm not sure there is another band that has been able to do that.

I'm still just tickled pink that Hurley has what I feel are so many songs that remind me of that Weezer sound I fell in love with....I felt like I had to wade through too much crap on the last two albums to find some gems I actually liked....but that's probably my fault for buying the deluxe editions with 50 different remixes, videos and demos included... ;)

BackToSchool said:
The band's legacy as a serious band was at stake and when faced with that pressure, Rivers blinked and decided to go ahead and make Weezer into what they were never supposed to be: a novelty pop band. And I can't stand that. It doesn't make me "close-minded" because I hate seeing a band that once resonated with me become a band that puts out joke albums and Weezer branded snuggies.



Corey Gregory said:
I am just going to pout this out there right now. The close minded kids who only like Blue and Pinkerton have their time to shine this year with P : DE and Alone 3. But in all honesty Weezer is never going to go back to that in a studio album. So everyone should take Weezer albums for what they are, and not what they aren't. I mean, don't get me wrong, my favorites by a long shot are Blue and Pinkerton, but still. The only album that is unlistenable for me is Raditude and that even has a few gems on it.
What? I don't think so... Corgan was coming from a different direction than Rivers. The feedback noise on Blue/Pink is not like the feedback noise on "Siamese Dream".

Mellowfello said:
BTS: C'mon Rivers stole that from Billy Corgan. He was master of the Fuzz...and before him, Mudhoney.
You know there's always going to be those fans that were from way back when a perticular band suchs as this just started , and they have this completely different view upon how their music should be. Some other fans are actually working in that industry and have a completely realistic approach to how their music should be.

...I am neither of those things XD.

Personally I think Hurley is the best album Weezer has put out in the last 5 years , and I LOVED Red Album regardless of whatever some critical schmuck said about it. That to me was a fun album and a good time for me because I was close to finishing high school and a lot of things felt weird , and that album was just good times and I actually liked what the other members sung :).

Hurley has such an awesome vibe to it , like they just ran into a studio with not too much practice and wrote some songs. Which if I recall that is what they did ...right? In any case I like how it has elements of older albums and kinda has like a semi poppy tone like Green had. And that's good because it's not going overboard on the poppiness like Radititude did (-shivers-). Don't get me wrong Rad wasn't bad , but considering I only like to like 2 or 3 of the songs now , I can easily say my feelings on it when I purchased it have changed redonkulusly before Hurley came out.

I like the way every song pertains to like a deep thought but at the same time it's still got it's elements of badassery. Like "Unspoken". That song itself is just fantastic , it's all sad and slow at the beginning and then it just goes BOOM at the end. Same with "Run Away" , starts off all slow and then it just picks up instantly. I mean that's just awesome.

And I'm no expert at music stuff but I can easily say this cd had more effort put into it , by having less pressure put on them. I think the fact is Geffen drove them into the ground and this Epitaph move just made things better and easier for them to write a cd again. Just my 2 cents on that.

Regardless even if you're super critical , you really can't even LIE and say this is a bad album. They're not gonna be like what you want them to be and even if they remained that way it'd be akward to hear a 40 something year old sing about being alone in his garage. I'd rather have it this way where it's still rock with some small hints of pop in it. Btw , "Smart Girls" ....I hate that song lol. I 'd say I like 9/10 songs on this album , which for me personally is saying something. So I can only see them going up from here. Hopefully I don't choke on my words.
Is it any less awkward for a 40 year to be singing songs like "Where's my Sex" and "Smart Girls"?


Killer Tofu said:
You know there's always going to be those fans that were from way back when a perticular band suchs as this just started , and they have this completely different view upon how their music should be. Some other fans are actually working in that industry and have a completely realistic approach to how their music should be.

...I am neither of those things XD.

Personally I think Hurley is the best album Weezer has put out in the last 5 years , and I LOVED Red Album regardless of whatever some critical schmuck said about it. That to me was a fun album and a good time for me because I was close to finishing high school and a lot of things felt weird , and that album was just good times and I actually liked what the other members sung :).

Hurley has such an awesome vibe to it , like they just ran into a studio with not too much practice and wrote some songs. Which if I recall that is what they did ...right? In any case I like how it has elements of older albums and kinda has like a semi poppy tone like Green had. And that's good because it's not going overboard on the poppiness like Radititude did (-shivers-). Don't get me wrong Rad wasn't bad , but considering I only like to like 2 or 3 of the songs now , I can easily say my feelings on it when I purchased it have changed redonkulusly before Hurley came out.

I like the way every song pertains to like a deep thought but at the same time it's still got it's elements of badassery. Like "Unspoken". That song itself is just fantastic , it's all sad and slow at the beginning and then it just goes BOOM at the end. Same with "Run Away" , starts off all slow and then it just picks up instantly. I mean that's just awesome.

And I'm no expert at music stuff but I can easily say this cd had more effort put into it , by having less pressure put on them. I think the fact is Geffen drove them into the ground and this Epitaph move just made things better and easier for them to write a cd again. Just my 2 cents on that.

Regardless even if you're super critical , you really can't even LIE and say this is a bad album. They're not gonna be like what you want them to be and even if they remained that way it'd be akward to hear a 40 something year old sing about being alone in his garage. I'd rather have it this way where it's still rock with some small hints of pop in it. Btw , "Smart Girls" ....I hate that song lol. I 'd say I like 9/10 songs on this album , which for me personally is saying something. So I can only see them going up from here. Hopefully I don't choke on my words.
"Smart Girls" admittley is the only song I hate on the album. "Where's my sex" is pure comedic gold. If you take that song seriously Idk what else to say. Haters gonna hate.

BackToSchool said:
Is it any less awkward for a 40 year to be singing songs like "Where's my Sex" and "Smart Girls"?


Killer Tofu said:
You know there's always going to be those fans that were from way back when a perticular band suchs as this just started , and they have this completely different view upon how their music should be. Some other fans are actually working in that industry and have a completely realistic approach to how their music should be.

...I am neither of those things XD.

Personally I think Hurley is the best album Weezer has put out in the last 5 years , and I LOVED Red Album regardless of whatever some critical schmuck said about it. That to me was a fun album and a good time for me because I was close to finishing high school and a lot of things felt weird , and that album was just good times and I actually liked what the other members sung :).

Hurley has such an awesome vibe to it , like they just ran into a studio with not too much practice and wrote some songs. Which if I recall that is what they did ...right? In any case I like how it has elements of older albums and kinda has like a semi poppy tone like Green had. And that's good because it's not going overboard on the poppiness like Radititude did (-shivers-). Don't get me wrong Rad wasn't bad , but considering I only like to like 2 or 3 of the songs now , I can easily say my feelings on it when I purchased it have changed redonkulusly before Hurley came out.

I like the way every song pertains to like a deep thought but at the same time it's still got it's elements of badassery. Like "Unspoken". That song itself is just fantastic , it's all sad and slow at the beginning and then it just goes BOOM at the end. Same with "Run Away" , starts off all slow and then it just picks up instantly. I mean that's just awesome.

And I'm no expert at music stuff but I can easily say this cd had more effort put into it , by having less pressure put on them. I think the fact is Geffen drove them into the ground and this Epitaph move just made things better and easier for them to write a cd again. Just my 2 cents on that.

Regardless even if you're super critical , you really can't even LIE and say this is a bad album. They're not gonna be like what you want them to be and even if they remained that way it'd be akward to hear a 40 something year old sing about being alone in his garage. I'd rather have it this way where it's still rock with some small hints of pop in it. Btw , "Smart Girls" ....I hate that song lol. I 'd say I like 9/10 songs on this album , which for me personally is saying something. So I can only see them going up from here. Hopefully I don't choke on my words.
See, this attitude is ridiculous to me. I'm not going to turn off my brain and suddenly like this kind of crap. The "haters" thing is such a dumb way to avoid discussion. I don't like it so I'm a "hater". Good grief. Isn't this the Musical Discussion Forum?

Killer Tofu said:
"Smart Girls" admittley is the only song I hate on the album. "Where's my sex" is pure comedic gold. If you take that song seriously Idk what else to say. Haters gonna hate.

BackToSchool said:
Is it any less awkward for a 40 year to be singing songs like "Where's my Sex" and "Smart Girls"?


Killer Tofu said:
You know there's always going to be those fans that were from way back when a perticular band suchs as this just started , and they have this completely different view upon how their music should be. Some other fans are actually working in that industry and have a completely realistic approach to how their music should be.

...I am neither of those things XD.

Personally I think Hurley is the best album Weezer has put out in the last 5 years , and I LOVED Red Album regardless of whatever some critical schmuck said about it. That to me was a fun album and a good time for me because I was close to finishing high school and a lot of things felt weird , and that album was just good times and I actually liked what the other members sung :).

Hurley has such an awesome vibe to it , like they just ran into a studio with not too much practice and wrote some songs. Which if I recall that is what they did ...right? In any case I like how it has elements of older albums and kinda has like a semi poppy tone like Green had. And that's good because it's not going overboard on the poppiness like Radititude did (-shivers-). Don't get me wrong Rad wasn't bad , but considering I only like to like 2 or 3 of the songs now , I can easily say my feelings on it when I purchased it have changed redonkulusly before Hurley came out.

I like the way every song pertains to like a deep thought but at the same time it's still got it's elements of badassery. Like "Unspoken". That song itself is just fantastic , it's all sad and slow at the beginning and then it just goes BOOM at the end. Same with "Run Away" , starts off all slow and then it just picks up instantly. I mean that's just awesome.

And I'm no expert at music stuff but I can easily say this cd had more effort put into it , by having less pressure put on them. I think the fact is Geffen drove them into the ground and this Epitaph move just made things better and easier for them to write a cd again. Just my 2 cents on that.

Regardless even if you're super critical , you really can't even LIE and say this is a bad album. They're not gonna be like what you want them to be and even if they remained that way it'd be akward to hear a 40 something year old sing about being alone in his garage. I'd rather have it this way where it's still rock with some small hints of pop in it. Btw , "Smart Girls" ....I hate that song lol. I 'd say I like 9/10 songs on this album , which for me personally is saying something. So I can only see them going up from here. Hopefully I don't choke on my words.
BackToSchool said:
I don't hear any gems here, just Raditude with less production.

MozMan68 said: totally right, and as to where they're going, sure as hell ain't to australia anytime soon!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

  • Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Offline

Live Video