Now that Hurley is out, what do you guys think of how the band has changed and is changing?

Do you think they're doing better or worse?

What do you think is going to happen to them within the next for years or in other words what do you see happening to their music in the next 1, 2, or 3 albums?

Tags: album, albums, direction, future, going, is, on, thoughts, weezer, where

Views: 581

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Boy, I'm glad I'm not apart of these types of battles anymore. Quite entertaining though.
Max, you just gotta understand that the old school fans are going to be critical. When we were teenagers, music was in a vastly different place than it is now. The "mainstream" bands were Nirvana, PJ, Weezer, Oasis, Pumpkins etc. Think about that. Seriously game changing groups. Who do we have now? Train? Maroon 5? Linkin' Park? C'mon. The standard of music people in their mid 30's have is astronomical considering what we came up on.

Which brings me back to Weezer, for us Blue/Pinkerton hit us when we needed it. Music needed a melodic rock band after Cobain's death. TBA came along at the perfect time.

Understand that perspective is the main difference between the newer fans and the old-school. Love of =W= is the common thread, though. BTS makes valid points as do you. It's just that some of the old school guys still haven't accepted change. What motivates Rivers now probably isn't what motivated him back in the day. Muses change and so do people. In the end, I love the band for what they are and although the new stuff doesn't hold the same place as Blue, SFTBH, and Pinkerton, I can take away some positives. One thing's for certain, the fact that SFTBH didn't see the light of day the way Rivers intended it to is a Greek tragedy upon itself.

For what it's worth...
Your a good guy.

Marc said:
Max, you just gotta understand that the old school fans are going to be critical. When we were teenagers, music was in a vastly different place than it is now. The "mainstream" bands were Nirvana, PJ, Weezer, Oasis, Pumpkins etc. Think about that. Seriously game changing groups. Who do we have now? Train? Maroon 5? Linkin' Park? C'mon. The standard of music people in their mid 30's have is astronomical considering what we came up on.

Which brings me back to Weezer, for us Blue/Pinkerton hit us when we needed it. Music needed a melodic rock band after Cobain's death. TBA came along at the perfect time.

Understand that perspective is the main difference between the newer fans and the old-school. Love of =W= is the common thread, though. BTS makes valid points as do you. It's just that some of the old school guys still haven't accepted change. What motivates Rivers now probably isn't what motivated him back in the day. Muses change and so do people. In the end, I love the band for what they are and although the new stuff doesn't hold the same place as Blue, SFTBH, and Pinkerton, I can take away some positives. One thing's for certain, the fact that SFTBH didn't see the light of day the way Rivers intended it to is a Greek tragedy upon itself.

For what it's worth...
I am just going to pout this out there right now. The close minded kids who only like Blue and Pinkerton have their time to shine this year with P : DE and Alone 3. But in all honesty Weezer is never going to go back to that in a studio album. So everyone should take Weezer albums for what they are, and not what they aren't. I mean, don't get me wrong, my favorites by a long shot are Blue and Pinkerton, but still. The only album that is unlistenable for me is Raditude and that even has a few gems on it.
Marc,

I guess you said it better than me and you are right, the early 90's produced some great music and all of the bands you listed are evidence: Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Stone temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Rage, Nirvana, Weezer (of course), Alice in Chains, Screaming Trees, and I would also throw in a few more for good measure Oasis, Everclear (they were very good), Live, The Lemonheads, REM put out some great music in the 90's even though they were considered an 80's band...I might even add Collective Soul and the last two Dishwalla Cd's were phenomenal!...but outside of what Audioslave (which is Rage/Soundgarden), Staind (which was later 90s I guess) Phantom Planet, Elliott Smith, and maybe, maybe Ozma because they are in the same genre as Weezer, there is really not much else with 1. staying power and 2. Big Cd's with lots of great music.

I mean, can you imagine some of the crap bands now having enough songs to play an Unplugged right now without having Lady GaGa as a guest or Lil' Wayne (ooooops sorry Rivers)?

I listened to Across the Sea several times today working out and just gotta say, those lyrics, while a bit sophomoric sounding on the first listen in what 96'...are amazing! That is pure Rivers/Weezer. The tender side that is real, not the songs now that sound like frat boy rock. Don't get me wrong, I really, really like Raditude a bunch but where are those type of songs? Please don't say "Heart songs" or "Unspoken" or "Trainwrecks"??? Maybe Hold me comes the closest but I know many don't like Make Believe at all because of Drugs or the obvious Geffen induced Beverly Hills...but where is the raw side? Where is the non-"three cord me" approach and beauty of a song like "Falling for you"? It doesn't exist...

I still Love LOVE LOVE Weezer. I still go to their shows even though they aren't very good live, Rivers stands like a statute for 1:30 or so, and they don't veer from the CD's. They are still my favorite band. I just wish for what i guess we can never have...

MF
From what I understand, Rivers has really come out of his shell on stage in the last couple of years. That said, I still dig Rivers with a guitar and a mic just jamming out the songs. Emo Rivers, ftw ;)

Mellowfello said:
Marc,

I guess you said it better than me and you are right, the early 90's produced some great music and all of the bands you listed are evidence: Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Stone temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Rage, Nirvana, Weezer (of course), Alice in Chains, Screaming Trees, and I would also throw in a few more for good measure Oasis, Everclear (they were very good), Live, The Lemonheads, REM put out some great music in the 90's even though they were considered an 80's band...I might even add Collective Soul and the last two Dishwalla Cd's were phenomenal!...but outside of what Audioslave (which is Rage/Soundgarden), Staind (which was later 90s I guess) Phantom Planet, Elliott Smith, and maybe, maybe Ozma because they are in the same genre as Weezer, there is really not much else with 1. staying power and 2. Big Cd's with lots of great music.

I mean, can you imagine some of the crap bands now having enough songs to play an Unplugged right now without having Lady GaGa as a guest or Lil' Wayne (ooooops sorry Rivers)?

I listened to Across the Sea several times today working out and just gotta say, those lyrics, while a bit sophomoric sounding on the first listen in what 96'...are amazing! That is pure Rivers/Weezer. The tender side that is real, not the songs now that sound like frat boy rock. Don't get me wrong, I really, really like Raditude a bunch but where are those type of songs? Please don't say "Heart songs" or "Unspoken" or "Trainwrecks"??? Maybe Hold me comes the closest but I know many don't like Make Believe at all because of Drugs or the obvious Geffen induced Beverly Hills...but where is the raw side? Where is the non-"three cord me" approach and beauty of a song like "Falling for you"? It doesn't exist...

I still Love LOVE LOVE Weezer. I still go to their shows even though they aren't very good live, Rivers stands like a statute for 1:30 or so, and they don't veer from the CD's. They are still my favorite band. I just wish for what i guess we can never have...

MF
We're not "close-minded". I like and perform an extremely wide variety of music. There's good music and bad music and I believe whole-heartedly that Weezer makes mostly bad music now. When I compare their attempts at genre pieces to other stuff in the genre they are attempting, it falls totally short. "Love is the answer" is a very good example of this.

The area they didn't fall short in is when they were truly being themselves-- when Rivers was more concerned with what he thought sounded cool and honest to him than trying to become some successor to Nirvana/The Beatles. Rivers wrote better songs than Nirvana in the 90's. Obviously he doesn't believe so, but I believe it's beyond argument. Complex does not always = better and neither does simple always = better, but

Say It Ain't So >>>>>>>> Smells Like Teen Spirit. Across The Sea is something Kurt could never write in his wildest dreams. The composition itself is totally over his head.

Kurt was a good writer but terribly limited and his method of songwriting was a dead end, no pun intended. I understand why Rivers took this detour and for a period time, I put up with it and supported it, but it's been 10 years now. What did he really gain from trying to make Weezer into Oasis? The band's legacy as a serious band was at stake and when faced with that pressure, Rivers blinked and decided to go ahead and make Weezer into what they were never supposed to be: a novelty pop band. And I can't stand that. It doesn't make me "close-minded" because I hate seeing a band that once resonated with me become a band that puts out joke albums and Weezer branded snuggies.

Corey Gregory said:
I am just going to pout this out there right now. The close minded kids who only like Blue and Pinkerton have their time to shine this year with P : DE and Alone 3. But in all honesty Weezer is never going to go back to that in a studio album. So everyone should take Weezer albums for what they are, and not what they aren't. I mean, don't get me wrong, my favorites by a long shot are Blue and Pinkerton, but still. The only album that is unlistenable for me is Raditude and that even has a few gems on it.
Agreed.

Margie said:
Been a fan since Blue was released all those years ago, and all of the albums have been different from each other. Now that I have them on a mix on the iPhone, you can *really* see differences! The harder and rougher Pinkerton, Maladroit was a little more "constructed" sounding...Make Believe sounds like all Rick Rubin sounds (this is not a slam! I dig his sound. he does incredible things with strings); Red is probably my favorite as it shows a much more creative and introspective side of the band, that it's not just "Rivers and his backup band". I liked Raditude because it was so crazy and "out-there", but I know a lot of people didn't quite get it. Hurley likens back to the Pinkerton/Maladroit era, and I think will be more successful.
What's in store for the next few records? God only knows. Epic Madness? Likely. Epic Fun? Oh yeah! Who cares, it's Weezer, so it's gonna be great!
You nailed it on the head.

Eileen S said:
Agreed.

Margie said:
Been a fan since Blue was released all those years ago, and all of the albums have been different from each other. Now that I have them on a mix on the iPhone, you can *really* see differences! The harder and rougher Pinkerton, Maladroit was a little more "constructed" sounding...Make Believe sounds like all Rick Rubin sounds (this is not a slam! I dig his sound. he does incredible things with strings); Red is probably my favorite as it shows a much more creative and introspective side of the band, that it's not just "Rivers and his backup band". I liked Raditude because it was so crazy and "out-there", but I know a lot of people didn't quite get it. Hurley likens back to the Pinkerton/Maladroit era, and I think will be more successful.
What's in store for the next few records? God only knows. Epic Madness? Likely. Epic Fun? Oh yeah! Who cares, it's Weezer, so it's gonna be great!
I'd love to see Rivers thoughts on this!
Dakota said:

Wouldn't we all? Not gonna happen, however.
I think they would be very simple.

Dakota said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video