a brave new world of corporate sponsorship.

this thread brought to you by izod.

Tags: we'll sell anything

Views: 206

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Look, fluck, I do agree with you.  That logic was flawed, but really my whole problem with this thread was Weezer fans like yourself not seeing why Weezer is doing what they're doing and then explaining why.  Then this whole thing was turned by you and placemats saying that my criticism of this was focused on WeezerWoman not having fun.  Why would I complain about that?  What she posted to me as a response was really heartfelt and nothing Weezer is doing was meant to cause that.  It wasn't done at all to show a middle finger to the fans. 

There's nothing wrong with criticizing Weezer, but there is something wrong with criticizing the band over a misunderstanding.  Something you've ignored with this thread and with my slight fault of logic.  So again, Fluck, your thread was pointless.  I hope you realize this and close it.

fluck said:

what did i attribute to you that was incorrect? you said "there has to be something better for you to do than criticizing your favorite band on their own fan forum" and i pointed out the absurdity of your logic. i did not present a second line of reasoning.

you're missing the whole point here in your futile attempt to insult me. you are right that weezer fans come here to talk about the band, however you don't seem to understand that such talk doesn't always have to be positive. this isn't "all things good about weezer," it's "all things weezer." the good and the bad are discussed by those who wish to take part. you can be a fan of the band without liking every single thing they do.

everyone here has a life outside of the board, and everyone here has a reason to come to this board. as far as i can tell, both you and weezerwoman are here for the same reason, to discuss weezer. maybe you should spend less time telling people you disagree with to leave and more time actually discussing weezer.

David J. Stepp (DJS92491) said:

Yes, actually.  You do have a point, though.  And what is up with you and placemats saying things that I did not even say?  Do I have to be that specific every time?  Do I have to cover all bases?  I shouldn't have used that line of reasoning, but yours is just as faulty.  Why are you using this forum as a way to be the minority of fans that make poor use of their good wit just to antagonize other Weezer fans just because they don't agree with your opinions of the band? 

You really a smart and hilarious guy, but what more is going against what I'm saying than just antagonizing somebody else again?  You don't really care about the state of this band.  You just see something negative and exploit it for your own sense of humor.  I know this because I do it too, but just not here because I actually like this band enough to want to talk to Weezer fans who like to talk about Weezer as much as I do. 

So fluck, don't feed me that bs.  What is the point of being here if criticisms cannot be constructive and not always some personal life story that pits Weezer as doing them wrong when really they're just having fun?  You're either a Weezer fan or you're not.  This negativity and sarcastic wit won't change the state of the band.  In the end, this is all just a waste of time while Weezer goes about their business as always.  Your thread is pointless, fluck.  Move on.

fluck said:

why does anyone ever try to use this line of reasoning? i mean, we all know that everyone here has a life outside of this forum. is it somehow a better use of your time to sit here and defend your favorite band from criticism than it is for placemats to sit here and criticize your favorite band?

get a grip. weezer isn't perfect, and shlit like this is unnecessary.

also, while YOU may not miss placemats were she to leave, many other people here, myself included, would. can anyone say the same for you?

If I'm wrong, then all right, but then that would mean you're taking this too seriously and there has to be something better for you to do than criticizing your favorite band on their own fan forum.  That's what I meant by needing to have more fun.  If I'm right, then leave.  Like I said, you won't be missed. :)

Who gives a crap?  It was a wicked commercial and gave me new appreciation for the song.
YES!  THIS!

Radioactive said:
Who gives a crap?  It was a wicked commercial and gave me new appreciation for the song.
Which reminds me, it's really crappy fluck that you'd present this commercial as something negative.  How can one have constructive criticism of a topic when the discussion starter himself is already criticizing it?

Desperate? Are you kidding me?!

it's not like Rivers goes up to some random company "lol hey guys i'm from weezer, can we play a song in your commercial?!?!" They're OFFERED to do this stuff. And they get offered money for it. Sure, you may think this makes them a sell out, but they NEED the money to keep producing records, since people only seem to download the music without paying.

WeezerWoman said:

(Sigh.) Again?!

While we're on the subject, does anyone remember those ads for the Olsen twins' movie "Holiday in the Sun" that used "Island in the Sun" as their soundtrack? Blech. 

I can't keep making excuses for Weezer. This is deplorable! I hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE being marketed to! That's a big part of the reason I left facebook! Everyone in the world is trying to sell me something that I don't need, and now I have to sit back and watch my favorite band of all time dancing around in front of a racecar trying to sell me a cell phone?

It degrades you, guys! 

going to break this down to make this easier.

"weezer fans like yourself"

lol

"It wasn't done at all to show a middle finger to the fans."

of course not, but that doesn't mean that fans don't have the right to be offended by such crass marketing.

"there is something wrong with criticizing the band over a misunderstanding."

what misunderstanding? the misunderstanding that weezerwoman had about being unaware that weezer is so willing to whore themselves out for any company that will cut them a check? at least this time they got to use their own song.

"So again, Fluck, your thread was pointless.  I hope you realize this and close it."

lol

Look, fluck, I do agree with you.  That logic was flawed, but really my whole problem with this thread was Weezer fans like yourself not seeing why Weezer is doing what they're doing and then explaining why.  Then this whole thing was turned by you and placemats saying that my criticism of this was focused on WeezerWoman not having fun.  Why would I complain about that?  What she posted to me as a response was really heartfelt and nothing Weezer is doing was meant to cause that.  It wasn't done at all to show a middle finger to the fans. 

There's nothing wrong with criticizing Weezer, but there is something wrong with criticizing the band over a misunderstanding.  Something you've ignored with this thread and with my slight fault of logic.  So again, Fluck, your thread was pointless.  I hope you realize this and close it.

and re: weezer NEEDING the money. are we forgetting that they have sold millions of albums and toured the world multiple times over? let's stop pretending like they are checking the couch cushions for change in order to pay for their recording sessions.

I have a new appreciation for "Brave New World" as a result of the commercial.  The snippet in the ad seemed to bring out an 80's vibe that I had overlooked before. Maybe there will be a press kit on eBay sometime soon containing a DVD of the commercial.

Meh, some people are seriously freaking out over this right now.

Michael Rowland (Gohi) said:
I dunno, I think this discussion is quite alright, m8.

Marie said:
Good Lord people give it a rest
Fluck, it's not like they were standing there and just posing.  If it was something as simple as, "Hi, we're Weezer!  And we wear Izod!"  Which would undoubtedly be funny to me if it was only that, but it was a fun shoot.  Did you see Rivers' latest Facebook default pic?  It's from the shoot.  He's in a flucking jumpsuit and helmet dribbling a soccer ball.  Holllly crap, what has Izod done to Weezer?!  Look at Rivers enjoying himself...it's just so TERRIFYING.

fluck said:

going to break this down to make this easier.

"weezer fans like yourself"

lol

"It wasn't done at all to show a middle finger to the fans."

of course not, but that doesn't mean that fans don't have the right to be offended by such crass marketing.

"there is something wrong with criticizing the band over a misunderstanding."

what misunderstanding? the misunderstanding that weezerwoman had about being unaware that weezer is so willing to whore themselves out for any company that will cut them a check? at least this time they got to use their own song.

"So again, Fluck, your thread was pointless.  I hope you realize this and close it."

lol

Oh, btw, close the thread. :)  Pointless and junk...yes.
How about agreeing to disagree? You think this isn't something fans have the right to be upset about. Great. Move on.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video