a brave new world of corporate sponsorship.

this thread brought to you by izod.

Tags: we'll sell anything

Views: 206

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Honestly, I thought the cut of the music was cool.  It sounds a lot more interesting than the song does on the album.  But by no means should that sound like I don't like the song, I <3 Brave New World.

And on the whole "sell out" topic, you know while it may require a bit more effort on their part to be in the commercial, it's not much different than if they just licensed out the song for use in the commercial.  Something every band ever pretty much does, whether it be for TV or music.

It would seem less like they are selling out if they focused more on their last album's release which kind of just died out, without a tour to support it in particular.  DONT GET ME WRONG I LOVED MEMORIES AND THAT WAS BETTER, but there should have been SOME support of Hurley touring wise.  At least play 2 or 3 songs during the "greatest hits" set from Hurley.  There should have also been a second single issued officially by now.  With a video.  A GOOD video, not a lackluster one or "clip show" oriented stuff. 

I could care less what the band is doing just as long as they are doing what they want without the complaining from some of you Weezer "fans." Weezer needs money to keep making records and if people sponsor them, then I dont see the problem with them supporting those sponsors.

=W=

tiar look at what you have done

long paragraphs
Good Lord people give it a rest
Actually we say it because Crackerjack is stupid

The dreWid said:
So people do not think they are stupid. 

CrackerJack said:
Someone needs to explain why people keep saying this

Michael Rowland (Gohi) said:
On iPad. cut slack
shut up. mary kate and ashley movies are the shlit. that's the best one too.

WeezerWoman said:

(Sigh.) Again?!

While we're on the subject, does anyone remember those ads for the Olsen twins' movie "Holiday in the Sun" that used "Island in the Sun" as their soundtrack? Blech. 

I can't keep making excuses for Weezer. This is deplorable! I hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE being marketed to! That's a big part of the reason I left facebook! Everyone in the world is trying to sell me something that I don't need, and now I have to sit back and watch my favorite band of all time dancing around in front of a racecar trying to sell me a cell phone?

It degrades you, guys! 

I dunno, I think this discussion is quite alright, m8.

Marie said:
Good Lord people give it a rest

I thought the commercial was pretty cool and it would probably have been fun to be on set playing your own song with race cars speeding by you.  That's Weezer having fun, and making money while doing so.  Two pluses on one set.  If they were forced to do this then maybe something would be wrong with this, but Weezer's their own corporation.  So basically, what you're doing is calling the band garbage.  If I'm wrong, then all right, but then that would mean you're taking this too seriously and there has to be something better for you to do than criticizing your favorite band on their own fan forum.  That's what I meant by needing to have more fun.  If I'm right, then leave.  Like I said, you won't be missed. :)

Just to note, I know where WeezerWoman was coming from, but placemats I'm sure that WeezerWoman could answer for herself.
placemats said:

The fact that WeezerWoman is taking this corporate garbage to heart is certainly no indication that she does not know how to have fun.  Just look at her costume for crying out loud.

David J. Stepp (DJS92491) said:
I believe you're looking way too much into it.  Every Weezer fan has at least one personal story about how they affected their lives.  The Rivers now is much more different than the Rivers then.  He has everything he wanted personally that he didn't have then.  A wife, a child, and the validation that he always wanted as a musician.  Now, Rivers is just having fun.  Whether it be pop music or a commercial.  I suggest that you find ways to have a little more fun in your life too.

WeezerWoman said:

Hey, it's gotta be said. I wouldn't necessarily call it unsupportive, either. (Whining? Eh, you may be right, there.) It's the truth. This ad binge they've been on is just terrible. Terrible! 

Rivers was my teen idol! I listened to him sing songs about love as I feel asleep at night. He had such depth, and what candor! I think it's what I always liked the most about his music. I was a scared little Baptist girl with a True Love Waits ring, and he was brazenly singing about drugs, alcohol, sex, masturbation, and lesbians; what a change from anyone I'd ever met! What a relief from all my guilt!

When I hit my 20's, I spent hours poring over liner notes, marveling that my favorite rock star published his struggles with loneliness and anxiety, and that I had the account of his deeply personal struggles in my own two hands. I've been inspired and encouraged by those silly liner notes more times than I care to admit, especially the ones about My Brain. 

I guess all of that is to say that I always admired his courage to be unapologetically himself, to subject his intimate thoughts to the cruel court of public opinion. Pinkerton carved out a place in my heart years ago; listening to it feels intimate, like talking with a close friend. I can't tell you all of the things that it helped me to bear, or how dear it is to me, or the places it took me that I'd never been before. It was impeccable--the guitar solos, those poignant lyrics, the expressions in his voice. It's personal and evocative, a masterpiece of self expression. 

Now?  Now I find out he's for sale.

Honestly, it breaks my heart a little. Maybe it shouldn't. Hey, I've never even met the guy. I wouldn't even say that it tarnishes any of their music (and I do listen to most of it) for me either. I won't stop "supporting" the band, whatever that is supposed to mean. They're my favorite. How could I?

It's just hard, I guess.

Hard to see someone I admire so much hawking cell phones.

Hard to listen to songs like "Magic" after songs like "Say It Ain't So." (See the liner notes about Say It Ain't So vs. Keep Fishin'.)

Hard to see someone that used to symbolize so much to me become immersed in ad culture, becoming a participant in "the murderous din of our materialism." 

The dreWid said:

This

Whining Weezer fans: Get over it.  Go listen to Pinkerton or something.  Fact of the matter is, Weezer can do whatever they want to do and you can either support them or leave.  You will not be as missed as you think you will be. :)

why does anyone ever try to use this line of reasoning? i mean, we all know that everyone here has a life outside of this forum. is it somehow a better use of your time to sit here and defend your favorite band from criticism than it is for placemats to sit here and criticize your favorite band?

get a grip. weezer isn't perfect, and shlit like this is unnecessary.

also, while YOU may not miss placemats were she to leave, many other people here, myself included, would. can anyone say the same for you?

If I'm wrong, then all right, but then that would mean you're taking this too seriously and there has to be something better for you to do than criticizing your favorite band on their own fan forum.  That's what I meant by needing to have more fun.  If I'm right, then leave.  Like I said, you won't be missed. :)

Yes, actually.  You do have a point, though.  And what is up with you and placemats saying things that I did not even say?  Do I have to be that specific every time?  Do I have to cover all bases?  I shouldn't have used that line of reasoning, but yours is just as faulty.  Why are you using this forum as a way to be the minority of fans that make poor use of their good wit just to antagonize other Weezer fans just because they don't agree with your opinions of the band? 

You really a smart and hilarious guy, but what more is going against what I'm saying than just antagonizing somebody else again?  You don't really care about the state of this band.  You just see something negative and exploit it for your own sense of humor.  I know this because I do it too, but just not here because I actually like this band enough to want to talk to Weezer fans who like to talk about Weezer as much as I do. 

So fluck, don't feed me that bs.  What is the point of being here if criticisms cannot be constructive and not always some personal life story that pits Weezer as doing them wrong when really they're just having fun?  You're either a Weezer fan or you're not.  This negativity and sarcastic wit won't change the state of the band.  In the end, this is all just a waste of time while Weezer goes about their business as always.  Your thread is pointless, fluck.  Move on.

fluck said:

why does anyone ever try to use this line of reasoning? i mean, we all know that everyone here has a life outside of this forum. is it somehow a better use of your time to sit here and defend your favorite band from criticism than it is for placemats to sit here and criticize your favorite band?

also, while YOU may not miss placemats were she to leave, many other people here, myself included, would. can anyone say the same for you?

If I'm wrong, then all right, but then that would mean you're taking this too seriously and there has to be something better for you to do than criticizing your favorite band on their own fan forum.  That's what I meant by needing to have more fun.  If I'm right, then leave.  Like I said, you won't be missed. :)

what did i attribute to you that was incorrect? you said "there has to be something better for you to do than criticizing your favorite band on their own fan forum" and i pointed out the absurdity of your logic. i did not present a second line of reasoning.

you're missing the whole point here in your futile attempt to insult me. you are right that weezer fans come here to talk about the band, however you don't seem to understand that such talk doesn't always have to be positive. this isn't "all things good about weezer," it's "all things weezer." the good and the bad are discussed by those who wish to take part. you can be a fan of the band without liking every single thing they do.

everyone here has a life outside of the board, and everyone here has a reason to come to this board. as far as i can tell, both you and weezerwoman are here for the same reason, to discuss weezer. maybe you should spend less time telling people you disagree with to leave and more time actually discussing weezer.

Yes, actually.  You do have a point, though.  And what is up with you and placemats saying things that I did not even say?  Do I have to be that specific every time?  Do I have to cover all bases?  I shouldn't have used that line of reasoning, but yours is just as faulty.  Why are you using this forum as a way to be the minority of fans that make poor use of their good wit just to antagonize other Weezer fans just because they don't agree with your opinions of the band? 

You really a smart and hilarious guy, but what more is going against what I'm saying than just antagonizing somebody else again?  You don't really care about the state of this band.  You just see something negative and exploit it for your own sense of humor.  I know this because I do it too, but just not here because I actually like this band enough to want to talk to Weezer fans who like to talk about Weezer as much as I do. 

So fluck, don't feed me that bs.  What is the point of being here if criticisms cannot be constructive and not always some personal life story that pits Weezer as doing them wrong when really they're just having fun?  You're either a Weezer fan or you're not.  This negativity and sarcastic wit won't change the state of the band.  In the end, this is all just a waste of time while Weezer goes about their business as always.  Your thread is pointless, fluck.  Move on.

fluck said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video