a brave new world of corporate sponsorship.

this thread brought to you by izod.

Tags: we'll sell anything

Views: 206

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This

David J. Stepp (DJS92491) said:
Whining Weezer fans: Get over it.  Go listen to Pinkerton or something.  Fact of the matter is, Weezer can do whatever they want to do and you can either support them or leave.  You will not be as missed as you think you will be. :)
They need money to fund the albums. They're indie now.

Hey, it's gotta be said. I wouldn't necessarily call it unsupportive, either. (Whining? Eh, you may be right, there.) It's the truth. This ad binge they've been on is just terrible. Terrible! 

Rivers was my teen idol! I listened to him sing songs about love as I feel asleep at night. He had such depth, and what candor! I think it's what I always liked the most about his music. I was a scared little Baptist girl with a True Love Waits ring, and he was brazenly singing about drugs, alcohol, sex, masturbation, and lesbians; what a change from anyone I'd ever met! What a relief from all my guilt!

When I hit my 20's, I spent hours poring over liner notes, marveling that my favorite rock star published his struggles with loneliness and anxiety, and that I had the account of his deeply personal struggles in my own two hands. I've been inspired and encouraged by those silly liner notes more times than I care to admit, especially the ones about My Brain. 

I guess all of that is to say that I always admired his courage to be unapologetically himself, to subject his intimate thoughts to the cruel court of public opinion. Pinkerton carved out a place in my heart years ago; listening to it feels intimate, like talking with a close friend. I can't tell you all of the things that it helped me to bear, or how dear it is to me, or the places it took me that I'd never been before. It was impeccable--the guitar solos, those poignant lyrics, the expressions in his voice. It's personal and evocative, a masterpiece of self expression. 

Now?  Now I find out he's for sale.

Honestly, it breaks my heart a little. Maybe it shouldn't. Hey, I've never even met the guy. I wouldn't even say that it tarnishes any of their music (and I do listen to most of it) for me either. I won't stop "supporting" the band, whatever that is supposed to mean. They're my favorite. How could I?

It's just hard, I guess.

Hard to see someone I admire so much hawking cell phones.

Hard to listen to songs like "Magic" after songs like "Say It Ain't So." (See the liner notes about Say It Ain't So vs. Keep Fishin'.)

Hard to see someone that used to symbolize so much to me become immersed in ad culture, becoming a participant in "the murderous din of our materialism." 

The dreWid said:

This

Whining Weezer fans: Get over it.  Go listen to Pinkerton or something.  Fact of the matter is, Weezer can do whatever they want to do and you can either support them or leave.  You will not be as missed as you think you will be. :)
I believe you're looking way too much into it.  Every Weezer fan has at least one personal story about how they affected their lives.  The Rivers now is much more different than the Rivers then.  He has everything he wanted personally that he didn't have then.  A wife, a child, and the validation that he always wanted as a musician.  Now, Rivers is just having fun.  Whether it be pop music or a commercial.  I suggest that you find ways to have a little more fun in your life too.

WeezerWoman said:

Hey, it's gotta be said. I wouldn't necessarily call it unsupportive, either. (Whining? Eh, you may be right, there.) It's the truth. This ad binge they've been on is just terrible. Terrible! 

Rivers was my teen idol! I listened to him sing songs about love as I feel asleep at night. He had such depth, and what candor! I think it's what I always liked the most about his music. I was a scared little Baptist girl with a True Love Waits ring, and he was brazenly singing about drugs, alcohol, sex, masturbation, and lesbians; what a change from anyone I'd ever met! What a relief from all my guilt!

When I hit my 20's, I spent hours poring over liner notes, marveling that my favorite rock star published his struggles with loneliness and anxiety, and that I had the account of his deeply personal struggles in my own two hands. I've been inspired and encouraged by those silly liner notes more times than I care to admit, especially the ones about My Brain. 

I guess all of that is to say that I always admired his courage to be unapologetically himself, to subject his intimate thoughts to the cruel court of public opinion. Pinkerton carved out a place in my heart years ago; listening to it feels intimate, like talking with a close friend. I can't tell you all of the things that it helped me to bear, or how dear it is to me, or the places it took me that I'd never been before. It was impeccable--the guitar solos, those poignant lyrics, the expressions in his voice. It's personal and evocative, a masterpiece of self expression. 

Honestly, it breaks my heart a little. Maybe it shouldn't. Hey, I've never even met the guy. I wouldn't even say that it tarnishes any of their music (and I do listen to most of it) for me either. I won't stop "supporting" the band, whatever that is supposed to mean. They're my favorite. How could I?

It's just hard, I guess.

Hard to listen to songs like "Magic" after songs like "Say It Ain't So." (See the liner notes about Say It Ain't So vs. Keep Fishin'.)

Hard to see someone that used to symbolize so much to me become immersed in ad culture, becoming a participant in "the murderous din of our materialism." 

The dreWid said:

This

I think this is epic :D

The song totally fits the commercial!

This also. C'mon, guys. Lighten up. Weezer is poor now. Have you seen their recent albums sales?

Paperface said:
They need money to fund the albums. They're indie now.

weezerwoman left facebook?

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO

how will I sell her things now

Exactly. Perfectly put.

It doesn't bother me that they do these kinds of things. They've gotta make more money so that they can keep producing music and keep on touring.

OH GOD THEY DID A COMMERCIAL THE WORLD IS ENDING RUN FOR YOUR LIVES AHHHHHHHHHHHH

I don't mind this kinda thing, it just makes it hard to take them seriously. I mean, Rivers always wanted to be taken seriously, and now he comes out with this?

But, whatever makes 'em happy, I guess. So long as they keep making CD's, I'll keep listening.

So people do not think they are stupid. 

CrackerJack said:
Someone needs to explain why people keep saying this

Michael Rowland (Gohi) said:
On iPad. cut slack
The fact that WeezerWoman is taking this corporate garbage to heart is certainly no indication that she does not know how to have fun.  Just look at her costume for crying out loud.

I believe you're looking way too much into it.  Every Weezer fan has at least one personal story about how they affected their lives.  The Rivers now is much more different than the Rivers then.  He has everything he wanted personally that he didn't have then.  A wife, a child, and the validation that he always wanted as a musician.  Now, Rivers is just having fun.  Whether it be pop music or a commercial.  I suggest that you find ways to have a little more fun in your life too.

WeezerWoman said:

It's just hard, I guess.

The dreWid said:

This

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video