I'm new to the forums but have been a huge Weezer fan since 2000.

The live band really rocks with Josh Freese on drums. With Patrick on guitar and Josh on drums the sound is huger (is that even a word?) than ever. When I asked Pat if he missed playing drums he said "Nah, it hurts my back anymore and I'm really digging playing guitar more than anything." I think it's sparked a whole new enthusiasm in the band these past few years. What I'm wondering is... In all of the photos it's still just the 4 guys, so I assume that Josh is still a hired hand. I wonder if he ever thought about being a full-time member or if the idea was ever brought up. I imagine he's pretty comfortable playing the hired-hand roll at this point. But I just wonder how the mechanics all work within the band. Am I too curious? : )

Tags: Freese, Josh, Patrick, Wilson

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

that is not at all what you originally said.
Pat needs to be on drums.

Sorry if that's not what you got out of it, but that's what I was trying to say.

In my original post I guess I didn't make it very clear that changing so that there are two dedicated studio guitarists (Brian and Pat) would change the song writing, but keeping a 4 member band with a touring drummer wouldn't.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ said:

say it better next time, d***.

David Ince said:

Sorry if that's not what you got out of it, but that's what I was trying to say.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ said:

I'm confused about your Pat quote... mostly because when I asked him how it felt to play drums for a whole show again (1/20, Vegas), he said it was great and he felt like a d*** playing guitar. So... when did you ask Pat this?

The new line-up was okay in 2009 (Rivers' stage presence was not so good), pretty great in 2010 and amazing in 2011 (at least on night two). That said, the magic of the band lies in the original line-up so I will have to disagree with your thoughts on this matter.

There is a natural chemistry between Rivers' guitar-playing and Pat's drumming. The new line-up has been a nice, tight professional rock act in their performances, but they've never come close to reaching the dizzying heights of the "original" line-up that I saw play Pinkerton on 1/8. Whether or not Rivers plays guitar, Pat should be on the drums. His unique fills and energy are an integral part of the Weezer sound.

When I talked to Pat it was on the Blink tour so much could have changed since then. I have to say... Whether or not Rivers plays guitar, Pat should be where Pat wants to be. It's all relative as far as your thoughts on which line-up is is okay etc. Some people like The Green Album best others hate it. I'm not even trying to get into a debate over what is "better" because that is for all of us individually to decide. I could never have a discussion with someone of the mindset: "if you disagree with me ...you're wrong". You've obviously seen the band many more times than me (I think I've seen them about 10 times, twice with Josh on drums).

Annnyyyway, I think the whole flavor of my original post has been overlooked.

Michael Rowland (Gohi) said:

I'm confused about your Pat quote... mostly because when I asked him how it felt to play drums for a whole show again (1/20, Vegas), he said it was great and he felt like a d*** playing guitar. So... when did you ask Pat this?

The new line-up was okay in 2009 (Rivers' stage presence was not so good), pretty great in 2010 and amazing in 2011 (at least on night two). That said, the magic of the band lies in the original line-up so I will have to disagree with your thoughts on this matter.

There is a natural chemistry between Rivers' guitar-playing and Pat's drumming. The new line-up has been a nice, tight professional rock act in their performances, but they've never come close to reaching the dizzying heights of the "original" line-up that I saw play Pinkerton on 1/8. Whether or not Rivers plays guitar, Pat should be on the drums. His unique fills and energy are an integral part of the Weezer sound.
Of course, everything I've said is just my opinion. I wasn't trying to say anyone was wrong or start any disagreements.
I like it when they in their normal lineup. 

No, I've heard Pat recently state that he wants back on drums as well.  And I'm here to say that I and many other fans want that back as well.  Pat is only on guitar because Rivers didn't want to play lead as much anymore so he could focus on singing.  It was either hire a new guitar player or Pat take it over.  So they have Freese doing drumming.  I'm sure at first Pat thought it was cool because he got to play guitar, but I don't think anyone expected it to last this long.  I know Freese and Pat are buddies, so I know there's no bad blood or anything there.

The fact remains that Freese is just a session drummer and not in the band so his presence I don't believe adds to their "creativity" as a band or anything.  Pat is the drummer and he should be on drums.

Tripp Holland said:

When I talked to Pat it was on the Blink tour so much could have changed since then. I have to say... Whether or not Rivers plays guitar, Pat should be where Pat wants to be. It's all relative as far as your thoughts on which line-up is is okay etc. Some people like The Green Album best others hate it. I'm not even trying to get into a debate over what is "better" because that is for all of us individually to decide. I could never have a discussion with someone of the mindset: "if you disagree with me ...you're wrong". You've obviously seen the band many more times than me (I think I've seen them about 10 times, twice with Josh on drums).

Man... if they wind up hiring a guitarist, I'd like to know where to put my name down for that lol.

Daniel [bleed0range] said:

No, I've heard Pat recently state that he wants back on drums as well.  And I'm here to say that I and many other fans want that back as well.  Pat is only on guitar because Rivers didn't want to play lead as much anymore so he could focus on singing.  It was either hire a new guitar player or Pat take it over.  So they have Freese doing drumming.  I'm sure at first Pat thought it was cool because he got to play guitar, but I don't think anyone expected it to last this long.  I know Freese and Pat are buddies, so I know there's no bad blood or anything there.

The fact remains that Freese is just a session drummer and not in the band so his presence I don't believe adds to their "creativity" as a band or anything.  Pat is the drummer and he should be on drums.

Tripp Holland said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video