I'm new to the forums but have been a huge Weezer fan since 2000.

The live band really rocks with Josh Freese on drums. With Patrick on guitar and Josh on drums the sound is huger (is that even a word?) than ever. When I asked Pat if he missed playing drums he said "Nah, it hurts my back anymore and I'm really digging playing guitar more than anything." I think it's sparked a whole new enthusiasm in the band these past few years. What I'm wondering is... In all of the photos it's still just the 4 guys, so I assume that Josh is still a hired hand. I wonder if he ever thought about being a full-time member or if the idea was ever brought up. I imagine he's pretty comfortable playing the hired-hand roll at this point. But I just wonder how the mechanics all work within the band. Am I too curious? : )

Tags: Freese, Josh, Patrick, Wilson

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Josh Freese is a vampire, that's why he doesn't show up in the photos
Oh jeez, I thought he was just a touring member, but being a vampire... that explains everything!

spaz said:
Josh Freese is a vampire, that's why he doesn't show up in the photos

Pat needs to be back on drums. It's just not the same, it's not "weezer"...

It's sad whenever I see someone thats not even in the band playing drums for the band. I can understand rivers not wanting to play guitar sometimes but it's still slightly disappointing.

If you have a talent for something don't shun it.

I can see how with Josh as a touring member they wouldn't want to make him an official band member. Not being a member of Weezer or close to the band or anything like that, I can only make assumptions here, but I'd guess that even though Josh is a talented drummer and Pat's a talented guitarist becoming a member of the band is more than just playing an instrument. Making Josh an official member would mean, I can only assume, that the whole dynamic would shift because now there would be 2 guitarists full time. Keeping Pat as the band's drummer at least in the studio makes it so that the songs are written for the classic weezer instrumentation that we all love.
because up until now weezer has never had two guitarists full time.

David Ince said:
I can only assume, that the whole dynamic would shift because now there would be 2 guitarists full time.
I'm referring to the fact that Rivers was for a long time a guitarist/vocalist. That's really different than just being a guitarist.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ said:

David Ince said:
I can only assume, that the whole dynamic would shift because now there would be 2 guitarists full time.
oh i see, because you do everything a guitarist does....but you also sing.

David Ince said:
I'm referring to the fact that Rivers was for a long time a guitarist/vocalist. That's really different than just being a guitarist.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ said:

David Ince said:
Doing them both makes it harder to be as good as you would at either ones specifically... so no, you don't do everything a guitarist does; or at least you don't do everything a guitarist could do.

blakesp26 said:

David Ince said:

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ said:

David Ince said:
you know that in the recording studio they typically don't record vocals and guitar at the same time, right? also, is rivers not the lead guitarist in the band? he probably kind of does more than the other guitarist in that case.

David Ince said:
Doing them both makes it harder to be as good as you would at either ones specifically... so no, you don't do everything a guitarist does; or at least you don't do everything a guitarist could do.

blakesp26 said:

David Ince said:

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ said:

David Ince said:
i dont think any member of weezer has ever aimed to do everything a guitarist could do.

David Ince said:

blakesp26 said:

David Ince said:

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ said:

David Ince said:

Daniel,
I think it boils down to what keeps Pat and the band inspired creatively. If he's bored playing drums live and it's not good for his health & well-being and he is re-invigorated by playing guitar then that's exactly what should happen. It might not be the same "weezer" live but IMO it's actually more textured and powerful live now and it gives the band members a chance to grow and try new things. If they didn't have that outlet they could very easily burn out by the repetition of doing the same thing for almost 20 years! Sometimes a band has to reinvent themselves in order to stay (and feel) vital. I think it's a good thing that Rivers has an open mind and isn't afraid to take risks and is cool with Patrick playing guitar. I imagine it costs the band quite a bit more money to hire Josh, but it seems like it's worth it in order for them to keep it real and do what needs to be done (and not stay true to the template just because it's the safe bet). I think it's very entertaining to watch them switch instruments and trade-off vocal duties. The last couple of times I saw the band live it looked like they were having a lot of fun up there.

Daniel Gasparini ( Danorganplaye said:

Pat needs to be back on drums. It's just not the same, it's not "weezer"...

It's sad whenever I see someone thats not even in the band playing drums for the band. I can understand rivers not wanting to play guitar sometimes but it's still slightly disappointing.

If you have a talent for something don't shun it.

When they play live, or at least when I've seen them, rivers usually isn't playing a guitar. What I'm trying to say is that's the reason why having a touring drummer and not a 5th member keeps the dynamic the same. Because Rivers can focus on frontman-ing and brian and pat have the guitar pieces covered.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video