Most people give Make Believe a lot of criticism, and needless to say Pinkerton is far past that stage and now regarded as one of the greatest albums of all time.

We see Pinkerton to be an expression of longing, sadness, and at times selfishness.  During that time Rivers is taking a lot of control of Weezer.

If Pinkerton is an expression of the pain in that part of Rivers' life, I see Make Believe as the expression of his emotions later on.  Make Believe is really an answer to the questions that Pinkerton presents.  I think maybe "We are All on Drugs" is the exception, but Make Believe is written from personal experience just like Pinkerton.  Songs like "Pardon Me", "Perfect Situation", "The Other Way", "Peace", "Freak Me Out" and "Haunt You Everyday" are still emotional and still very relatable, but other songs like "My Best Friend" and even "Hold Me" focus on answers and peace.

Also, it's been said before that "Beverly Hills" is not only a sincere desire, it's one of Rivers' favorite musical acheivements.  That song make sense to me as being some of the material that Rivers wants to wirte now and that he wants to take Weezer to a higher level, hence the collabs and experimentation with pop lately.

Opinions?

Views: 887

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In my opinion Make Believe is a beautiful album.  I don't care for Beverly Hills or We are All on Drugs, but the rest of the songs are deep and moving.  Peace is one of my favorite Weezer songs, and Rivers said that he was at a very peace-less state of mind when he wrote it.  I can see the link between MB and Pinkerton, a lot of unrequited love, possible rejection and a fear of abandonment.  That is a common theme I see in the tracks on MB, as well as Pinkerton, Rivers says several times and ways that he is afraid of being without love or being left by the one he loves.  It is angst-filled and heartfelt in my opinion.

They did use it as a back drop for the live shows in '05.  Personally, my favorite set up.  A giant dragon went under Pat, functioning as a riser.

Lets talk about the bug on the CD artwork.  I always thought that was a pretty sweet design

Mrk Jcksn [Mark Jackson] said:

carson ellis did a pretty nice job with the artwork. didn't they use it as a stage backdrop during this period?

the addition of the band picture on the front is...unfortunate. at least they are all wearing black.

Gohi said:

Honestly, I think that Make Believe has the best liner notes of any Weezer album from an artistic standpoint. Some incredibly cool stuff happening there. That quote is the cherry on top of an impressive graphic layout. The less said about the front cover the better (I still wish it didn't have the guys on it).

Mrk Jcksn [Mark Jackson] said:

what does everyone think about the use of prospero's monologue in the album artwork for make believe?

imo it's probably the most fascinating thing about make believe. from what we know about rivers leading up to and during the make believe era, i think you could definitely draw some parallels between rivers and prospero. and while it turned out not to be weezer's last album like many though, i can't help but think it signified a major change in rivers and weezer.

haven't finished reading the thread yet, but came across this:

Only in Dreem see wat it meen said:

You're right in a way. Make Believe is emotional. The difference is that Pinkerton has brilliant musicianship and lyricism, whilst Make Believe does not. Pinkerton is GREAT and Make Believe is just 'good'.

The problem with Rivers wanting to take Weezer in the direction of Top 40 pop (which I hope he gets over, as he is capable of much greater things) is that (or at least, he feels that) the music and lyrics really have to be restrained for the mainstream in order to do well. This was shown entirely on Make Believe where the lyrics were "very relatable" because they were generic (much like your horoscopes), and the music was nothing like the Weezer most knew and loved. I still really enjoy it - it's a well made pop-ballads album, but it should never be mentioned alongside the masterpiece that is Pinkerton.

Yes. To all of it.

Why does everyone hate "We Are All On Drugs?" Didn't I read somewhere that it was about how heavily medicated we are as a country?

The rest of the album was all right, but there seems to be some sort of dissonance, like a lot of it is based off of genuine thought and feeling, but then contrived to become... less authentic? Marketable, maybe? On guitar center sessions, Rivers mentioned the producer wanting to erase the irony from Weezer, which I think is a big, big mistake. How can you ask an artist to remove his own unique perspective and still expect to end up with a genuine final product (unless, of course, you don't care about the product, you care about the stats and the $$)? Not everything can be sanitized and sugar coated. Brokenness and suffering are a fact of human life, and Pinkerton's admittance of it is what makes the album so powerful, in my opinion.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Make Believe didn't answer the questions that Pinkerton raised. Pinkerton boldly dealt with a lot of existential issues--despair, anguish, isolation, desire, meaninglessness. All other issues in our lives are just variations on these themes, which is why I think the album is so ultimately relateable, why the fan base is so die hard. That being said, I think that maybe these questions can't ever be answered, they just have to be lived. Pinkerton was so perfectly crafted that you lived through it, too.

What we hear in Make Believe seems less like resolution and more like the continuation of the struggle... only less well wrought, contrived at times, and even less bold or honest.... though is that from imperfect craftsmanship, or is it the reflection of fractured, imperfect inspiration? I mean, it's a good album. Perfect Situation was stellar and that guitar gives me the shivers, but there's something missing. I don't know if it was "scrubbed out" along with the rest of the irony or if I just grew out of pop music. All the other theories I have are completely unfounded speculation about the psychology and human development of a man that I've never met.

I guess it comes down to, what are you in the mood for? What do you want to get out of your music?

Elisha Cuthbert was the best part of Make Believe. She's an angel from the heavens, when she started lip singing 'perfect situation' my heart dropped.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video