Most people give Make Believe a lot of criticism, and needless to say Pinkerton is far past that stage and now regarded as one of the greatest albums of all time.

We see Pinkerton to be an expression of longing, sadness, and at times selfishness.  During that time Rivers is taking a lot of control of Weezer.

If Pinkerton is an expression of the pain in that part of Rivers' life, I see Make Believe as the expression of his emotions later on.  Make Believe is really an answer to the questions that Pinkerton presents.  I think maybe "We are All on Drugs" is the exception, but Make Believe is written from personal experience just like Pinkerton.  Songs like "Pardon Me", "Perfect Situation", "The Other Way", "Peace", "Freak Me Out" and "Haunt You Everyday" are still emotional and still very relatable, but other songs like "My Best Friend" and even "Hold Me" focus on answers and peace.

Also, it's been said before that "Beverly Hills" is not only a sincere desire, it's one of Rivers' favorite musical acheivements.  That song make sense to me as being some of the material that Rivers wants to wirte now and that he wants to take Weezer to a higher level, hence the collabs and experimentation with pop lately.

Opinions?

Views: 888

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's what i got out of this.

Gohi said:

Thanks for spelling contrarianism for everybody.

Lol wood, nice!!! 

pretty much agree with this post.

the album is flawed, to be sure, but i think it's one of their better albums in that it's consistently average. the lyrics, while fairly generic, still seemed to have some personal meaning to rivers, which is something that's been missing from most of their output since make believe. i think of it like a coldplay album, pleasant, and ultimately harmless.

Only in Dreem see wat it meen said:

You're right in a way. Make Believe is emotional. The difference is that Pinkerton has brilliant musicianship and lyricism, whilst Make Believe does not. Pinkerton is GREAT and Make Believe is just 'good'.

The problem with Rivers wanting to take Weezer in the direction of Top 40 pop (which I hope he gets over, as he is capable of much greater things) is that (or at least, he feels that) the music and lyrics really have to be restrained for the mainstream in order to do well. This was shown entirely on Make Believe where the lyrics were "very relatable" because they were generic (much like your horoscopes), and the music was nothing like the Weezer most knew and loved. I still really enjoy it - it's a well made pop-ballads album, but it should never be mentioned alongside the masterpiece that is Pinkerton.

what does everyone think about the use of prospero's monologue in the album artwork for make believe?

imo it's probably the most fascinating thing about make believe. from what we know about rivers leading up to and during the make believe era, i think you could definitely draw some parallels between rivers and prospero. and while it turned out not to be weezer's last album like many though, i can't help but think it signified a major change in rivers and weezer.

Gohi said:

Is that why Make Believe is near universally panned by both critics and fans? I actually like the album. Calm down, zippy. The only reason Make Believe sold so well is because it had huge singles. It's the Weezer cd I most often see in the used section for what it's worth. Thanks for spelling contrarianism for everybody.

Clearly I'm a hater. That's why I see the band any chance I get, why I moderate on this forum and why I bought alone 3 immediately despite the price. Oh and that's why I'm going on the cruise. I'm such a hater. Go update your Weezer.com profile, buddy.

aO - r3tH>VHs H6i3l u3b - Bs said:

Actually...

No. The Make Believe hating C-O-N-T-R-A-R-I-A-N-I-S-M around these boards come from the minority... They/You're just louder... As antaognists/devils-advocates/Whatever word you feel justifies your need to be heard - always are.

The 'majority' can be found in the math. Remind me, what was/is Make Believe and further, the Beverly Hills CDS sales Vs other Weezer Albums/Songs?

You haters, and contrarians.. or rather; you contrarians and haters - may be the more vocal, and possibly even the majority on these boards (which is a strange phenomenon in itself - this being a fan-site).. But you are not the majority. 

I made an error. I said fans when I meant fans who are also board members and users.

Gohi said:

Actually, a contrarian in this scenario is someone who doesn't buy into the Make Believe hating. You even said that it was a minority. You should learn what contrarian means before you use it five times.

Also I wouldn't say drawing comparison between two albums by the same band requires all that much "thought and imagination." It's pretty see and say. 

I'd respond to Radioactive's point but my dog is back from outside and I'm going back to bed.

I understood. I'm quite sure a lot of people did. Stefan apparently thought so. But understanding requires a little bit of thought and comprehension. Who gives a ( ___) is right. But not regarding Radioactive's opinions. Rather who gives a ( ___ ) about the grammar and/or form. This isn't English Language !01. Radioactive shares a view that is clear. It's also one that is shared among a minority of Weezer fans who don't buy into the Make Believe hating. Something chronic contrarians, like you, live by. '

But as I said... Radioactive's contention in the original post was/is clear.. But it does require a little bit of thought and imagination.

You, Mark, asked - "What are the questions posed by pinkerton? what are the answers provided by make believe?"

For those of you English-Language-Purists.. Might you consider the 'questions' and 'answers' mightn't be so literal as your limited comprehension reads. 

Thanks Edgey!  That's a great pic

To be fair it was 2 am and I was not in the mood for that guy's passive aggressive shenanigans.

you and everyone else. good work.

Honestly, I think that Make Believe has the best liner notes of any Weezer album from an artistic standpoint. Some incredibly cool stuff happening there. That quote is the cherry on top of an impressive graphic layout. The less said about the front cover the better (I still wish it didn't have the guys on it).

Mrk Jcksn [Mark Jackson] said:

what does everyone think about the use of prospero's monologue in the album artwork for make believe?

imo it's probably the most fascinating thing about make believe. from what we know about rivers leading up to and during the make believe era, i think you could definitely draw some parallels between rivers and prospero. and while it turned out not to be weezer's last album like many though, i can't help but think it signified a major change in rivers and weezer.

I'm not doubting anyone who would spend as much time as most everyone who's replied here, isn't a fan... and Weezer fan's are in a class of their own in many ways.. one of them is extreme dedication... which you rightly have.

The same way you wrote your piece out of anger at my passive-agression.. That's what I felt when and why I wrote what I initially did.

If you're willing you read back, one of my first entries on these boards was in a favorite album post.. in which I made my case for MB - my favorite album (not taking a thing away from my love of the other albums.

I think it's fair to see why I was a a little rash and harsh... Obviously, we're all capable of similar things when we're talking about or, as I wrongly took it - defending, things that hold great importance to us. I apologise for offending anyone or for making any wrong assumptions. But to be fair - I think we all know that there is definitely a contrarian contingent around here. Yes, I said it. 

Gohi said:

To be fair it was 2 am and I was not in the mood for that guy's passive aggressive shenanigans.

many many times...thanks for saying it again

Yes, I said it. 

carson ellis did a pretty nice job with the artwork. didn't they use it as a stage backdrop during this period?

the addition of the band picture on the front is...unfortunate. at least they are all wearing black.

Gohi said:

Honestly, I think that Make Believe has the best liner notes of any Weezer album from an artistic standpoint. Some incredibly cool stuff happening there. That quote is the cherry on top of an impressive graphic layout. The less said about the front cover the better (I still wish it didn't have the guys on it).

Mrk Jcksn [Mark Jackson] said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video