Listening to the deluxe vinyl of the Red Album right now.  

I know the band needed to spice things up during the making of this album, with songs like Thought I Knew, Cold Dark World, and Automatic by letting Brian, Scott, and Pat have a lot more input than usual, but it kills me that most of the deluxe tracks are not on the album.  In my opinion, Miss Sweeney, Pig, and The Spider are some of the greatest post-pink tracks, I would of loved to see those make the tracklist.  

What do you guys think?  Discuss... 

Views: 274

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i prefer the acoustic version
After hearing that I do not believe Rivers' would have sounded all that great on King, I think Scott was right to sing it actually.

And in reply to this topic, Red probably should have dropped CDW and Thought I Knew in favor of all the deluxe tracks. Minus the Spider, IMO, as that's kind of just droning on the whole time.
I think the synths make it so droning, if they would of cut those down a bit I think it would of been even more of a brilliant song.
There's an acoustic version?
My OCD would not allow for their to be 14 tracks on the third self-titled record. I actually have to say the song choice was really great on Weezer's part. The thing is, I also love the deluxe tracks, and really think that they are most iconic and representitive of that Weezer era... Buuut... All of The Red Album is phenomenal, I don't know how any Weezer fan, "new" or "old", can't uphold this album for its brilliance... I'd say I would've liked to see "Miss Sweeney", "The Spider" and "King" on the actual release, but logically this wouldn't make a whole lot of sense...

Whether people want to believe it or not, Weezer still has to live up to the current trend of music to a certain extent for a successful album... Not that it's a bad thing. Their contributions were things like "Troublemaker", "Pork and Beans" and "Everybody Get Dangerous"... Everything else is way beyond the standard of modern pop or at least is unique in the vocal swap. That being said, the aforementioned are vital to the commercial success of the album (I'm shocked that "Everybody Get Dangerous" didn't make it to the singles roster.) I think switching out "Cold Dark World" with "King" would've been a smart move, although in the end, it doesn't fit with the feel of the album. The standard and deluxe have two totally different feels. Remember that "Pig" leaked crazy early so it being on the album would've been a buzzkill probably. But it's still a good song, so keeping it a bonus track was still a good idea. "Heart Songs" is one of the less thrilling acoustic tracks compared to the bonus ones, but lyrically is important for the sake of crediting Weezer's inspirations, so I would've opted to keep that on too.

"The Greatest Man That Ever Lived" and "Dreamin'" are the most diverse and a huge part of what makes the album come alive... The former being more artistic and the latter being more fun to sing... Both my favorite songs and no question have earned their place on the album. "Troublemaker"... Is fun and makes a good opening. Honestly is great and although it can be argued bonus tracks are better, it wouldn't have made sense to drop this one. "Thought I Knew" and "Automatic" are fantastic tracks, and just for the concept of the instrument switch-up is so cool that they need to be on still. If "Pork and Beans" didn't prove to be such a sucess commercially, I would've suggested leaving that off to be honest. Dang good song but compared to the rest of the album its wild that it become so crazy popular... (See "Beverly Hills").

"Everybody Get Dangerous"... Well that should've stayed and be made a single instead of "Troublemaker". "Dreamin'" should've replaced "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived"... Even though the latter is a lot better, richer, fuller... I think "Dreamin'" would've appealed lyrically and musically more in general. "The Angel and the One" can not be touched. Its epicocity rivals "Only in Dreams" for best closer. All that being said, even the decisions I wouldn't have made ended up working perfectly. It's just a danged good album, standard or deluxe.
Automatic = amazingly underrated song
I prefer it to Pig slightly. I wish I could find a track of Rivers singing it.
yes........its beautiful :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWHhc-trXIA

sorry i couldnt embed
Totally disagree. "Miss Sweeney" is a bad retread of Susanne, "Pig" has absolutely nothing to do with classic weezer, "The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived" is a lyrical embarrassment with maybe two good "variations" in the whole song, "Pork and Beans" is over-produced and has a terrible, thoughtless bridge. Heart Songs...? It blows my mind that this came from the same guy who wrote Holiday.

It's an awful album. At best, it's Weezer parodying themselves, right down to the utterly ridiculous cover.
I'd like to see you write a song as good as greatest man

BackToSchool said:
Totally disagree. "Miss Sweeney" is a bad retread of Susanne, "Pig" has absolutely nothing to do with classic weezer, "The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived" is a lyrical embarrassment with maybe two good "variations" in the whole song, "Pork and Beans" is over-produced and has a terrible, thoughtless bridge. Heart Songs...? It blows my mind that this came from the same guy who wrote Holiday. It's an awful album. At best, it's Weezer parodying themselves, right down to the utterly ridiculous cover.

Rivers singing King is absolutely AMAZING. If that had made the album with Rivers singing it.. wow! Here it is for you to hear..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcFS60DgF7I&list=FLXwR6p0A0pWjeg...

Also, Miss Sweeney is one of my favorite Weezer songs ever! Totally agreed that it shouldn't have been left off the album!

Spade said:

I would also be very interested to see how the Rivers-sung King sounds. I could see that possibly being better than Heart Songs or Everybody Gets Dangerous. But regardless if the substitutions were made, I think Heart Songs and Everybody Gets Dangerous would simply seem much better, brought up by the rest of the album.
I definetly would've swapped Automatic, Cold Dark World, Everybody Get Dangerous and Heart Songs for King, Pig, The Spider and Miss Sweeney.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video