I just recently pulled out all my old lego and realized how much freaking fun it is. So then when I went to San Diego I bought a $150 set at legoland. I opened it up today and after like an hour of searching for pieces I learned how terribly bad time has made me at lego building. But I promised myself I'd finish this set.

Someone talk to me about lego. I'm in the mood. 

Tags: dont, fun, make, me, of, plz

Views: 489

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I need to buy a lego death star one of these days....

Sounds like a challenge to me.

Ric Hunter said:

I've have seen pictures online where Lego minifigures are stylized like one of the past band line-ups. Has anyone seen a more recent band line-up made with minifigures??

Oh, poor, sweet Stefan.  Lego sets are pre-sorted and number ordered.  Remember all the bags you took out of your set and dumped into a big pile?  You weren't supposed to do that. You start building from bag #1 and when that is finished you move on to bag #2, then #3, and so on.  Somehow you have missed this.  Look at your instructions again and you will see what I am talking about.

You are on your way to fixing the problem with sorting by size, except I would color code as well, and maybe even add on a couple more sizes.  For instance:  Red- XL, L, M, S, XS...Blue- XL, L, M, S, XS...and so on.  Don't use bowls. You'll have to dig too much and you can't see all the pieces.  Use shoe box lids, shirt boxes, or anything with an edge that allows you to spread the legos around.

Stefan said:

I seperated them into 3 bowls of large pieces, medium sized and small pieces. Its like a 3000 piece set so that's still a lot to look through.

Oh welz

fluck [kittenž (j.biebž)] said:
you've gotta separate them out before you start, son.

Stefan said:
LOL
I'm building a 16+ set right now. I didn't even know those existed until a couple weeks ago. Ask your son how he can find pieces. It's driving me crazy searching for one piece in a bowl of a hundred different pieces.

If there is already a lego thread, it's not OFFICIAL 
i knew the boy wasn't old enough for an ages 16+ lego set.

placemats said:

Oh, poor, sweet Stefan.  Lego sets are pre-sorted and number ordered.  Remember all the bags you took out of your set and dumped into a big pile?  You weren't supposed to do that. You start building from bag #1 and when that is finished you move on to bag #2, then #3, and so on.  Somehow you have missed this.  Look at your instructions again and you will see what I am talking about.

You are on your way to fixing the problem with sorting by size, except I would color code as well, and maybe even add on a couple more sizes.  For instance:  Red- XL, L, M, S, XS...Blue- XL, L, M, S, XS...and so on.  Don't use bowls. You'll have to dig too much and you can't see all the pieces.  Use shoe box lids, shirt boxes, or anything with an edge that allows you to spread the legos around.

Stefan said:

I seperated them into 3 bowls of large pieces, medium sized and small pieces. Its like a 3000 piece set so that's still a lot to look through.

Oh welz

fluck [kittenž (j.biebž)] said:
you've gotta separate them out before you start, son.

Stefan said:
LOL
I'm building a 16+ set right now. I didn't even know those existed until a couple weeks ago. Ask your son how he can find pieces. It's driving me crazy searching for one piece in a bowl of a hundred different pieces.

If there is already a lego thread, it's not OFFICIAL 

Danielle said:

Sounds like a challenge to me.

Ric Hunter said:

I've have seen pictures online where Lego minifigures are stylized like one of the past band line-ups. Has anyone seen a more recent band line-up made with minifigures??
that's amazing^

My set came with bags numbered only 1 and 2.  Since it's so big they split it into two instruction booklets, one for the #1 bags and one for the #2 bags. At least it's an improvement from what it used to be. I remember when I was little the whole set would come in a couple of giant non-numbered bags.  The shoe box is a great idea. 

have you finished it yet?

god, stefan.

Stefan said:

that's amazing^

My set came with bags numbered only 1 and 2.  Since it's so big they split it into two instruction booklets, one for the #1 bags and one for the #2 bags. At least it's an improvement from what it used to be. I remember when I was little the whole set would come in a couple of giant non-numbered bags.  The shoe box is a great idea. 

hmmm i also had random lego (as opposed to set kits) and enjoyed making odd stuff that i conjured up from the depths of my mind. you could get the pre-planned kits when i was a kid but they tended to be very small and boring. however, there are a lot more set kits to choose from these days and they're much more sophisticated than they used to be, so kids can build things that are way more complex than i was able to do as a child using just standard blocks and my two brain cells.

i don't think the pre-packed kits necessarily crimp kids' imaginations, though; after all, after you've built what's on the front of the box, you can still combine the pieces and build other stuff to your heart's content. it's not like, say, a jigsaw, where there's only really one way to combine the pieces to make an end product that's meaningful. also, building a model by following instructions is a learning process, whereby the child can find out new ways to create shapes and structures they may never have been able to achieve without input. they can then take these and apply them to their own models. i get what you're saying - that 10,000 kids churning out the same aeroplane isn't particularly creative - but i think it's more about fuelling creativity, developing building skills and enabling kids to try things for themselves once they've built something relatively complex using instructions.

just IMO.

edit: also, obviously, none of this applies to stefan.

Brofessefef said:

See, this is what's wrong with Lego today.

When I was a lad, you bought a box of lego and you made stuff out of it.  Usually a gun or a house, in my instance.  It may not have looked exactly like a gun or a house, but it was something I'd created out of my own imagination.  No instructions, no specifically made shapes to construct a pre-planned model - just rectangular blocks and my own limited creativity

Kids these days with thier pre-conceived, unimaginative lego kits......

i'm the youngest of the family, so by the time i came along we just had a big bucket filled with legos.

i did buy a couple of sets though, mostly from this one space series that was apparently called unitron. 

this sweet (working) monorail was my big lego purchase.

also, stefan is full of s***, because my set was arranged by pieces, it didn't just come in two bags. and i was little before stefan was even born.

I used to make disaster scenes out of my Legos.  I was big into the town/city style and then the Pacific Islanders.  I would usually have the "natives" come on land and then proceed to r*** and pillage the towns people.

I'll try and find a picture of the 9/11 set up I had....I made it in 1990.

Wow, Berry.  I couldn't have said it better myself.  Really.

My son is really into the Star Wars series and is using sets combined with his own inventions to create a huge battle scene.  He has this big plan to make a movie with it once he is done.  So either way you look at it, sets or tubs, legos definitely employ the imagination.

pandaž! [berry_rydell] said:

hmmm i also had random lego (as opposed to set kits) and enjoyed making odd stuff that i conjured up from the depths of my mind. you could get the pre-planned kits when i was a kid but they tended to be very small and boring. however, there are a lot more set kits to choose from these days and they're much more sophisticated than they used to be, so kids can build things that are way more complex than i was able to do as a child using just standard blocks and my two brain cells.

i don't think the pre-packed kits necessarily crimp kids' imaginations, though; after all, after you've built what's on the front of the box, you can still combine the pieces and build other stuff to your heart's content. it's not like, say, a jigsaw, where there's only really one way to combine the pieces to make an end product that's meaningful. also, building a model by following instructions is a learning process, whereby the child can find out new ways to create shapes and structures they may never have been able to achieve without input. they can then take these and apply them to their own models. i get what you're saying - that 10,000 kids churning out the same aeroplane isn't particularly creative - but i think it's more about fuelling creativity, developing building skills and enabling kids to try things for themselves once they've built something relatively complex using instructions.

just IMO.

edit: also, obviously, none of this applies to stefan.

Brofessefef said:

See, this is what's wrong with Lego today.

When I was a lad, you bought a box of lego and you made stuff out of it.  Usually a gun or a house, in my instance.  It may not have looked exactly like a gun or a house, but it was something I'd created out of my own imagination.  No instructions, no specifically made shapes to construct a pre-planned model - just rectangular blocks and my own limited creativity

Kids these days with thier pre-conceived, unimaginative lego kits......

What set are you building, Stefan?

Stefan said:
that's amazing^

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video