I just recently pulled out all my old lego and realized how much freaking fun it is. So then when I went to San Diego I bought a $150 set at legoland. I opened it up today and after like an hour of searching for pieces I learned how terribly bad time has made me at lego building. But I promised myself I'd finish this set.

Someone talk to me about lego. I'm in the mood. 

Tags: dont, fun, make, me, of, plz

Views: 490

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Totally agree. When I was little I used to buy all the star wars sets and combine them into a giant spacecraft. In middle school I would use my digital camera to make short stop motion clips from lego. That's what really exercised my imagination, thinking of movements and stuff for the lego minifigures. This was one I made when I was in grade 7, I think.

And you're right about the modern kits being really sophisticated. This was my favourite thing that I owned when I was 6 or 7. http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/500/200778414.jpg 

For some reason my crappy laptop doesn't let me post photos on here. 

pandaž! [berry_rydell] said:

hmmm i also had random lego (as opposed to set kits) and enjoyed making odd stuff that i conjured up from the depths of my mind. you could get the pre-planned kits when i was a kid but they tended to be very small and boring. however, there are a lot more set kits to choose from these days and they're much more sophisticated than they used to be, so kids can build things that are way more complex than i was able to do as a child using just standard blocks and my two brain cells.

i don't think the pre-packed kits necessarily crimp kids' imaginations, though; after all, after you've built what's on the front of the box, you can still combine the pieces and build other stuff to your heart's content. it's not like, say, a jigsaw, where there's only really one way to combine the pieces to make an end product that's meaningful. also, building a model by following instructions is a learning process, whereby the child can find out new ways to create shapes and structures they may never have been able to achieve without input. they can then take these and apply them to their own models. i get what you're saying - that 10,000 kids churning out the same aeroplane isn't particularly creative - but i think it's more about fuelling creativity, developing building skills and enabling kids to try things for themselves once they've built something relatively complex using instructions.

just IMO.

http://absbrickstore.com/uploads/fire_brigade_10197.jpg

placemats said:
What set are you building, Stefan?

Stefan said:
that's amazing^

My set came with bags numbered only 1 and 2.  Since it's so big they split it into two instruction booklets, one for the #1 bags and one for the #2 bags. At least it's an improvement from what it used to be. I remember when I was little the whole set would come in a couple of giant non-numbered bags.  The shoe box is a great idea. 

You didn't say what band's past lineup...

Danielle said:

Sounds like a challenge to me.

Ric Hunter said:

I've have seen pictures online where Lego minifigures are stylized like one of the past band line-ups. Has anyone seen a more recent band line-up made with minifigures??
That's why small children play with duplo
Stefan, you exaggerated the number of pieces.  There are not 3000.  Are you sure there are just two bags or are you full of s*** like fluck said?

Stefan said:

placemats said:

Stefan said:
that's amazing^

My set came with bags numbered only 1 and 2.  Since it's so big they split it into two instruction booklets, one for the #1 bags and one for the #2 bags. At least it's an improvement from what it used to be. I remember when I was little the whole set would come in a couple of giant non-numbered bags.  The shoe box is a great idea. 

Brofessefef said:

Berry, you'll just have to trust me on this one - I know alot about how brains work.

Also, the modern lego sets have jagged shapes that small childeren often get stuck up their bums and/or noses.

pandaž! [berry_rydell] said:

hmmm i also had random lego (as opposed to set kits) and enjoyed making odd stuff that i conjured up from the depths of my mind. you could get the pre-planned kits when i was a kid but they tended to be very small and boring. however, there are a lot more set kits to choose from these days and they're much more sophisticated than they used to be, so kids can build things that are way more complex than i was able to do as a child using just standard blocks and my two brain cells.

i don't think the pre-packed kits necessarily crimp kids' imaginations, though; after all, after you've built what's on the front of the box, you can still combine the pieces and build other stuff to your heart's content. it's not like, say, a jigsaw, where there's only really one way to combine the pieces to make an end product that's meaningful. also, building a model by following instructions is a learning process, whereby the child can find out new ways to create shapes and structures they may never have been able to achieve without input. they can then take these and apply them to their own models. i get what you're saying - that 10,000 kids churning out the same aeroplane isn't particularly creative - but i think it's more about fuelling creativity, developing building skills and enabling kids to try things for themselves once they've built something relatively complex using instructions.

just IMO.

Sorry, there's 2000, not 3000. I couldn't remember when I typed that. 
I never said there were two bags! I said there are numerous bags, probs like 15, some numbered #1 and some numbered #2.

I aint' full o no s***

placemats said:
Stefan, you exaggerated the number of pieces.  There are not 3000.  Are you sure there are just two bags or are you full of s*** like fluck said?

Stefan said:

placemats said:

Stefan said:
that's amazing^

I don't know what that means.
Obi-wan Kenobi?

this thread is a let down to lego.

You're a let down to lego

edgey44 said:

this thread is a let down to lego.

That's great Danielle.  Thanks for sharing.  I'm getting inspired to go to the Lego store now.

Danielle said:

Danielle said:

Sounds like a challenge to me.

Ric Hunter said:

I've have seen pictures online where Lego minifigures are stylized like one of the past band line-ups. Has anyone seen a more recent band line-up made with minifigures??

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video