"Contemplating this, I wondered what my concerts would be like with no women
in the audience.  Would I dress the
same?  Would I move the same?  Would I write the same words?  Would I even bother to give concerts?  Would I
even bother to write songs
?  I
wondered how many of my supposedly artistic or philosophical efforts, from songwriting,
to performing, to trying my hardest in school, were really just base attempts
to attract a mate."

Does the motivation to create music change over time? If so, how?

It would be interesting to hear from the plethora of musicians on here, and also from those in the audience, so to speak.

Thoughts?

Views: 22

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes. Of course it does. It's always changing.

For me, I am a teenager trying to figure out my life, so I write songs about that. When I was in high school, I wrote songs about being a high schooler and all the hormonal teenager crap. In a couple years, I could be writing songs about wanting to settle down.
I've written songs about being in love.

I've written songs about fights with my dad.

I've written songs about long distance relationships.

I've written songs about being led on and hurt.

My motivation has usually stayed the same though. To be a better musician. To write better songs. To write the kinds of songs that inspired me to pick up a guitar in the first place. Something that might move or entertain other people. I use music as a means to express myself, but I like to write music about anything so my motivation is the art of making music first and foremost. Use your emotions as a tool.
For anyone who doesn't know, this comes from A Mad and Furious Master, an essay Rivers wrote
Yeah I can't write lyrics being a teenager. I just feel like anything I experience now will be overshadowed by the experiences I have later in life, and everything I write sound pity. Man, if I COULD get girls from writing songs, I would :P
It works. Trust me lol.

iheartsmegma said:
Yeah I can't write lyrics being a teenager. I just feel like anything I experience now will be overshadowed by the experiences I have later in life, and everything I write sound pity. Man, if I COULD get girls from writing songs, I would :P
lol agreed

elscorcho said:
It works. Trust me lol.

iheartsmegma said:
I guess the million dollar question then becomes... does the motivation really matter so long as the result is quality?

hmm....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video