Will Matt Sharp be joining them on any of the dates? He lives in LA, right? If he doesn't show up for even just one song it seems like a huge opportunity has been missed. If this tour is about nostalgia and giving the fans what they want, I believe this would serve both those purposes very well.

Tags: Matt, Memories, Sharp, Tour, Weezer

Views: 71

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Blue and Pinkerton ARE old news....get over it.

Megalonyx said:
elscorcho said:
He's not in the band anymore. He hasn't been for more than ten years. Grow up and get over it. He's nothing special anyways.

Okay, well you could say the same thing about Blue and Pinkerton—old news, just get over it. Obviously that's not what the Memories shows are about.
Megalonyx said:
Conner Petersen said:
Unfortunately, Rivers will be playing half of each album on guitar.

Where is this info coming from?

Rivers and Pat.
Also:
Matt Sharp.

Matt sharp?

Matt sharp!

Oh, Matt Sharp.

I don't really think it matters if he shows up or not. I agree that his particular harmonizing sound added something a little special, but ... eh.
Scott is awesome.

blakesp26 said:
yeah i know, that is just what came up. i agree that matt's backing vocals were an integral part of those two albums, but i just don't see him coming on stage for this tour. and if he does, nobody will know until they see him on stage the day of the show.

Megalonyx said:
I really wasn't trying to start another argument about Matt Sharp's writing input. I think that's been covered elsewhere. He was an important part of the live shows—especially when it comes to backing vocals on those old songs. The new guys do okay but it doesn't sound the same. Rivers and Matt seem to be on good terms so I hope they reunite for at least a song or two in LA.
I like Scott a lot and agree with Matt Sharp that if he was in the band today, the songs wouldn't necessarily be better. That being said, Matt Sharp has never disappointed me musically. Return of the Rentals, 7 More Minutes, Puckets vs The Country Boy, Self Titled, Last Little Life, and Songs About Time are all great, well-thought out albums. And when he was doing his low-key, personal solo shows, fans got to meet him, contribute on stage and hang out with him. He's acted like a douche before (so has Rivers) but they are both fantastic musicians together and apart.

blakesp26 said:
Wrong, Sharp apparently contributed in the writing process of the music of "Undone" and almost all songs on Pinkerton except for "Butterfly".

Indiekid said:
Rivers Cuomo writes all the songs for Weezer. Matt Sharp wrote none. The only thing the different bassists have contributed towards weezer is their playing style on stage

Wrong. Hell, *I* could see Weezer for co-writing credits. Anyone can. Sharp was full of s***, here, and this e-mail you claim was written never happened to my knowledge. Where did you read this?

Sharp did not co-write Pinkerton. Listen to the album he put out just a year before and realize how above his skill level the songwriting on Pinkerton is. I love Matt and I love the first two Rentals albums, but if he had co-written anything he would have gotten credit as Pat and Jason did for the first album.

runnersdialzero said:

blakesp26 said:
Wrong, Sharp apparently contributed in the writing process of the music of "Undone" and almost all songs on Pinkerton except for "Butterfly".

Indiekid said:
Rivers Cuomo writes all the songs for Weezer. Matt Sharp wrote none. The only thing the different bassists have contributed towards weezer is their playing style on stage

Wrong. Hell, *I* could see Weezer for co-writing credits. Anyone can. Sharp was full of s***, here, and this e-mail you claim was written never happened to my knowledge. Where did you read this?

Sharp did not co-write Pinkerton. Listen to the album he put out just a year before and realize how above his skill level the songwriting on Pinkerton is. I love Matt and I love the first two Rentals albums, but if he had co-written anything he would have gotten credit as Pat and Jason did for the first album.
*sue. ARGH.

blakesp26 said:
and where are your facts? you are just speculating.

And by the way, where are your facts? I'd say any "facts" I name have as much weight as the ones you've seemingly found somewhere on the internet, if not more (possibly).
This thread was not supposed to be about writing credits or some kind of old versus new argument.

Mikey Welsh joined Weezer on-stage in September and played "Hashpipe". It's just a nice thing to do for the fans and fits in with the concept of the tour.

I agree that it's probably not the sort of thing that they'd announce ahead of time and we won't know until it happens but I think it'd be cool—that's all. I was surprised that others weren't speculating about it.
i never said i had facts. i said "apparently" and he put down my comments like his were more valid. my point is both arguments are mostly based on speculation. however, i highly doubt Matt attempted to sue weezer if there were not SOME truth in his story.

runnersdialzero said:

blakesp26 said:
and where are your facts? you are just speculating.

And by the way, where are your facts? I'd say any "facts" I name have as much weight as the ones you've seemingly found somewhere on the internet, if not more (possibly).
and i've read about the email multiple times, never seen it...so yes, that is more speculation. but how does comparing Sharp's earlier albums to Pinkerton prove he had no part in the writing process. im sure when sitting around together laying down the pinkerton tracks, matt's douchey (and controlling) attitude took hold and he contributed some towards the songs.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video