All right guys, I'm hella bored. Let's talk about the Beatles.

I'll admit: up until the last few years, I have had awful taste in music. My radio stayed on Top 40 stations and I was reluctant to give any new music a try. I even hated Weezer at first (I was super Baptist, and decided that I wasn't going to listen to them when I heard that they had a song called "Hash pipe.")

My musical horizons have since broadened, thanks in a large part to Weezer. Notably, in the last two or three years of my "awakening," I've discovered the Beatles. (You'd be surprised how many people write them off at first. I thought they were just some old pop band.)

All that is to say this: One day, I was listening to Pandora, and I heard "A Day in the Life." I was really surprised that it was the Beatles, and I started looking into more of their music.

What songs did it for you? After "A Day in the Life," it was "Got to Get You Into My Life," "Baby You're a Rich Man," "Dear Prudence," and "Fixing a H***." I'd always had a derogatory opinion of John Lennon--another leftover of my strict upbringing--but my appreciation for him has grown immensely. Paul McCartney is my favorite, though. I even love the older stuff, all his pop songs. Those were "the good old days," you know?

Anyways, I'm super bored, and hoping someone will indulge me. What's your favorite Beatles song? Who's your favorite Beatle? What's your favorite album? (I have to go with Abbey Road.)

Tags: Beatles

Views: 251

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Did you seriously ask who are the Beatles????? They are like the most influental band in history! rock and roll exists because of them! they are Beast!!!!

Dr. B. Lurkom said:
Who are they?

pinkertonjunkie said:
Yet, my favorite song by them is Strawberry Fields Forever. The way John is basically describing himself is just amazing... I'm a songwriter and getting that kind of emotion onto paper and then into song is extremely hard (I also praise Rivers for this... kudos, putting yourself out there like that is very hard).

That's the Beatle I'd compare Rivers to, as well. That's not to say they're completely similar, but they're both very emotive and experimental. (Coincidentally, they both wear rather iconic glasses, have Asian wives, and meditate. Ha ha!) I think what stands out to me the most is the diversity in their respective catalogues. Every Beatles album has a noticeably different sound, while still being instantaneously recognizable as The Beatles. Weezer is the same way. My guess is that a feat like this is difficult to accomplish: how do you broaden your musical horizons and stay fresh and experimental without sounding disjointed and incongruous or losing the elements that make up "your sound?" Weezer accomplishes that.

Don't apologize for the long post. It's nice to see people on here actually talking. We don't have record stores to hang out in anymore, and I'm a little tired of "Which is your favorite album?!" and "Which is your LEAST favorite album?!?!" and "Rank your favorite albums in order!!!1!!1!"

I'm glad to read that a couple of you on here like "Within You Without You." I really like the Love version, where the song is meshed with "Tomorrow Never Knows." It was a little less "out there," but I felt like it captured the spirit of both songs really well. I really enjoyed Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing as its own song, too.
@kittens - You either have your head in the sand with respect to a great band, or your sarcasm is second to none. If sarcastic, the "lennon no longer wears..." comment is pretty below the belt.
mmm hmm.... in my life, paul, the beatles (white album). my favorite thing to listen to is the beatles anthology because hearing the different version and lyrics is always fun.
Maybe I'm way off base here but I always thought of Rivers as Paul McCartney and Matt as the John Lennon of the band (even had that same a****** appeal) plus there was this :
http://www.aestheticoctopus.com/2009/12/07/rivers-cuomo-is-a-dead-m...

WeezerWoman said:

pinkertonjunkie said:
Yet, my favorite song by them is Strawberry Fields Forever. The way John is basically describing himself is just amazing... I'm a songwriter and getting that kind of emotion onto paper and then into song is extremely hard (I also praise Rivers for this... kudos, putting yourself out there like that is very hard).

That's the Beatle I'd compare Rivers to, as well. That's not to say they're completely similar, but they're both very emotive and experimental. (Coincidentally, they both wear rather iconic glasses, have Asian wives, and meditate. Ha ha!) I think what stands out to me the most is the diversity in their respective catalogues. Every Beatles album has a noticeably different sound, while still being instantaneously recognizable as The Beatles. Weezer is the same way. My guess is that a feat like this is difficult to accomplish: how do you broaden your musical horizons and stay fresh and experimental without sounding disjointed and incongruous or losing the elements that make up "your sound?" Weezer accomplishes that.

Don't apologize for the long post. It's nice to see people on here actually talking. We don't have record stores to hang out in anymore, and I'm a little tired of "Which is your favorite album?!" and "Which is your LEAST favorite album?!?!" and "Rank your favorite albums in order!!!1!!1!"

I'm glad to read that a couple of you on here like "Within You Without You." I really like the Love version, where the song is meshed with "Tomorrow Never Knows." It was a little less "out there," but I felt like it captured the spirit of both songs really well. I really enjoyed Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing as its own song, too.
As far as guitar players are concerned, George Harrison is phenomenal. But I would have to pick John. Early John is good(when he twists the lyrics into "she was just 17, do you know what I mean". If I was to choose a song though, it would either be Tomorrow Never Knows or Strawberry Fields. John's solo stuff...Mother or Gimme Some Truth.
I agree, I see Rivers as Paul...Not sure who I can compare John too Really, but I'm picky when it comes to my Favorite Fab Lad. Also, because George is my back up fave lad and I hate to leave him out being the musical talent that he was, I want to make a comparison here and say that Brian would be the George. Oh, and I'm the Mary.

wondergrr1 said:
Maybe I'm way off base here but I always thought of Rivers as Paul McCartney and Matt as the John Lennon of the band (even had that same a****** appeal) plus there was this :
http://www.aestheticoctopus.com/2009/12/07/rivers-cuomo-is-a-dead-m...

WeezerWoman said:

pinkertonjunkie said:

He made a good priest

☺♥ kïttens ♥☺ said:
lol he's dead.
He was ordained in Rome? I wonder what religion/denomination.

I was talking about John Lennon with someone the other day who was sure that John is burning in Hell. (Sigh.) I live in the buckle of the Bible Belt, though, so it's to be expected. People down here believe Gandhi was a satanic child molester and George W. Bush is Jesus come again.

Lulu, I thought a while about whether I'd compare him to Paul or John. I've even changed my mind a couple times while typing this. I think I'm gonna have to go with John, though, if anything, just because it "feels" more like John. I'll think on it more; I might change my mind.

I've heard a few people make the observation that there are just no more bands like the Beatles around any more. I suppose that's true. If they are out there, we're too busy being inundated with all the dreck the media shoves down our throats to notice. What I really think it is, though, is that no one spends time in solitude any more. Little boys aren't growing up playing guitar in their room for hours anymore. Everyone's texting, playing video games, watching TiVo, and avoiding any creative or original thoughts. Ironically, I'd argue the Beatles phenomenon was the start of mass media marketing of music, or at least its pinnacle. (Just look at iTunes lately.)

All that being said, I'm going to get off the computer and go read or play music. : ) It's nice reading what y'all have to say.

Smugleaf said:
He made a good priest

☺♥ kïttens ♥☺ said:
lol he's dead.
There are way too many songs from the Beatles that I LOVE. I think that George Harrison is my favorite Beatle. I do love the song "Sometimes" which is sang by George. I could be biased into liking George so much because I met his sister a couple years back. She's so nice. I didn't even know it was her until she got up on the stage and talked later. I noticed she had an English accent but for some reason I didn't think too much of it. We had a conversation about the weather. LOL I like all 4 of them and 2nd in line is def. John.
Fav Album: The Beatles (White)
Fav Song: Uhm.... Manys, but "Shes Leaving Home" Is Great.
Fav Beatle: Jhon
WeezerWoman, I'm thinking the bible belt still hasn't forgiven John Lennon for saying that The Beatles were more popular than Jesus, that belt can really hold a grudge. I'm going to agree with you, today's childhood is not the childhood of the past or the one I remember and the sad thing is that I'm not that old. I'm an Art Teacher and the one thing that has made a huge impression on me is a distinct lack of creativity and imagination that I've noticed in my kids, it makes me sad. I am however, doing all I can to break the chains of creative blockage : ).

WeezerWoman said:
He was ordained in Rome? I wonder what religion/denomination.

I was talking about John Lennon with someone the other day who was sure that John is burning in Hell. (Sigh.) I live in the buckle of the Bible Belt, though, so it's to be expected. People down here believe Gandhi was a satanic child molester and George W. Bush is Jesus come again.

Lulu, I thought a while about whether I'd compare him to Paul or John. I've even changed my mind a couple times while typing this. I think I'm gonna have to go with John, though, if anything, just because it "feels" more like John. I'll think on it more; I might change my mind.

I've heard a few people make the observation that there are just no more bands like the Beatles around any more. I suppose that's true. If they are out there, we're too busy being inundated with all the dreck the media shoves down our throats to notice. What I really think it is, though, is that no one spends time in solitude any more. Little boys aren't growing up playing guitar in their room for hours anymore. Everyone's texting, playing video games, watching TiVo, and avoiding any creative or original thoughts. Ironically, I'd argue the Beatles phenomenon was the start of mass media marketing of music, or at least its pinnacle. (Just look at iTunes lately.)

All that being said, I'm going to get off the computer and go read or play music. : ) It's nice reading what y'all have to say.

Smugleaf said:
He made a good priest

☺♥ kïttens ♥☺ said:
lol he's dead.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…