How do y'all think, after all these years, SS2K stands up as an album?

SS2K vs green- which is better at the 90's alterna rock+50/60's pop synthesis (Helmet meets Hard Days Night)?

SS2K vs green and hurley- Which stands as Weezer's definitive pop statement?

SS2K vs weezer's catalogue- how does SS2K stand up as a complete album in and of itself? is it in the same league as blue or pink? or is it more on the same plain as Weezer's post 2000 releases (not counting early mala demos, fallen soldiers, etc.). Songwriting wise, aesthetically, aurally, production, performance, etc. how does the album come together? does it stand as a unified piece of artistic work? or is it a roughly cobbled together patch of demos without much redeeming quality besides being a (mostly) live snapshot of sleek, stylish weezer at their most poppy, stoned and energetic?

Tags: SS2K, green, hurley, pop.

Views: 93

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

SS2K PUNK said:
As one can probably guess from my name, I'm a fan of Summer Songs 2000. Curious to see how other people feel about these songs. Anyone wanting a refresher, check out my youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBKvcPN1d5s&playnext=1&list=...) i got the whole album up. don't have much time, but to get the ball rolling, I'd say SS2K beats green at it's own game. I think Summer Songs 2000 is actually a rather fiting title as these songs take the sound of (post)grunge radio and distills it into tight, breazy pop songs. In doing so, I think it takes the songwriting concept of 2000 era Rivers (efficient songs made up of all hooks, no fat, and seeing how far creatively one can take this simplistic, melody based approach through intense yet concise playing) and perfects it with an album of pop rock perfection that explodes out of the speakers with blazed, bubblegum energy. I'd say it wins out as W's pop statement as it collects many of the best songs of that era, and instead of trying to neuter them in the studio in order to make an album that communicates without emotion, Rivers let these songs naturally grow with the band over the summer tours. He remarked that even though he was working in such a new romantic style at the time, he was still surprised with the emotion he got out of these songs. less is more. because of that i think this album is easily their best pop effort, taking the best pop songs from rivers best pop period and letting them organically become an album, instead of ditching the concept of writing the perfect pop song for the concept of making a record with no feeling. as for hurley, while it has many  classics on it, it also has a few songs that prevent it from being on the level of SS2K in my opinion. also it does not have mikey, who was just so perfect for the kind of stylish/punky/edgy skater vibe W was going for at the time. he defintely helps bring these songs to life, his influence can't be stated enough. finally, I would say SS2K stands along side blue and pink as one of Rivers' and W's best. I'm not saying it's as good as those records, but merely that songwriting wise it showcases Rivers as being in the same ballpark as those records. Whereas pink in particular he had pretty progressive ideas, with SS2K he was going for the straightforward by streamlining his sound and focusing on tight song structure, melody and hooks above all else. But as far as trying to write the perfect pop song goes, the songs on SS2K sound like the creations of the same rivers that produced those records, merely going off in a different direction (much like Homie and many of the other great styles that came out of Cuomo's songwriting machine during the lull between album 2 and 3). As far as aurally goes (one of the greatest thing about blue and pink I think would be the aesthetic from those records, such as the harmonicas and acoustics on blue, or the feedback, bells, slide, and psycho back ups on pink) I'd say the album stands as a conceptual whole with it's unique punk pop themes. a (mostly live) punk pop weezer album sounds weird on paper but from the hilariously trippy intro song to the last "thanks" on TLTT, I believe SS2K stands as one of the crowning achievements of the 3rd wave of ska, even if it is a hidden power pop gem that is hardly known by anybody (including far to many modern weezer fans). The (mostly) live setting actually suits these songs perfectly as Weezer is in intense rock out mode and the songs are so wonderfully un-adorned. It's hard to imagine these songs working better under different circumstance. as it is they perfectly capture the famous energy of that tour as well as the general feeling of the summer. Also, a live album works well within the musical genres Rivers was working through at the time. The rough, self produced  approach is as punk as can be, live albums are a major stable in ska as well as the reggae tradition as a whole (think "No Woman No Cry") and in channeling early beatles, let us not forget that PPM was rumored to be recorded live and many of their early beat records were recorded in a manner not to different than the SS2K record. So in conclusion, I vote yes (no surprise there) for SS2K on all three counts!
You obviously feel strongly about it and took a fair amount of time to explain your stance so you should get at least a couple halfway serious responses.  This is only my opinion but I think there are maybe 4 good songs out of the bunch and several so-so songs.  That ratio is pretty representative of any weezer album after Blue.  I don't think as a whole it's better than Green, just in the same general ballpark.  At this time people hadn't heard new weezer songs in 2-3 years so there's the old "absence makes the heart grow fonder" scenario.  Over the last decade or so another factor is the mythical "never released album of their all-time best material" among casual fans.  So I find it better than Death to False Metal but wouldn't put it much higher than Maladroit which is my personal least favorite album.  But clearly that's just my opinion, albeit based upon 2.3 million variables and calculations.  Cybernetic organisms rely on different factors than our human counterparts. 
what do you consider to be the SS2K Album songs?  Some of those songs were re-done for the Album 5 sessions after Maladroit came out.

@Terminator

thank you for the straightforward response! much appreciated!

@Brofessefef and Cameron Cannon.

hah, fair enough. it was all a little blurry when I was typing it...-

As one can probably guess from my name, I'm a fan of Summer Songs 2000. Curious to see how other people feel about these songs. Anyone wanting a refresher, check out my youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBKvcPN1d5s&playnext=1&list=...) i got the whole album up. don't have much time, but to get the ball rolling, I'd say SS2K beats green at it's own game. I think Summer Songs 2000 is actually a rather fitting title as these songs take the sound of (post)grunge radio and distills it into tight, breazy pop songs. In doing so, I think it takes the songwriting concept of 2000 era Rivers (efficient songs made up of all hooks, no fat, and seeing how far creatively one can take this simplistic, melody based approach through intense yet concise playing) and perfects it with an album of pop rock perfection that explodes out of the speakers with blazed, bubblegum energy.

I'd say it wins out as W's pop statement as it collects many of the best songs of that era, and instead of trying to neuter them in the studio in order to make an album that communicates without emotion, Rivers let these songs naturally grow with the band over the summer tours. He remarked that even though he was working in such a new romantic style at the time, he was still surprised with the emotion he got out of these songs. less is more. because of that i think this album is easily their best pop effort, taking the best pop songs from rivers best pop period and letting them organically become an album, instead of ditching the concept of writing the perfect pop song for the concept of making a record with no feeling.

as for hurley, while it has many  classics on it, it also has a few songs that prevent it from being on the level of SS2K in my opinion. also it does not have mikey, who was just so perfect for the kind of stylish/punky/edgy skater vibe W was going for at the time. he defintely helps bring these songs to life. His influence can't be stated enough.

finally, I would say SS2K stands along side blue and pink as one of Rivers' and W's best. I'm not saying it's as good as those records, but merely that songwriting wise it showcases Rivers as being in the same ballpark as those records. Whereas pink in particular had pretty progressive ideas, with SS2K Rivers was going for the straightforward by streamlining his sound and focusing on tight song structure, melody and hooks above all else. But as far as trying to write the perfect pop song goes, the songs on SS2K sound like the creations of the same rivers that produced those records, merely going off in a different direction (much like Homie and many of the other great styles that came out of Cuomo's songwriting machine during the lull between album 2 and 3).

As far as aural aesthetics goes (one of the greatest thing about blue and pink I think would be the aesthetic from those records, such as the harmonicas and acoustics on blue, or the feedback, bells, slide, and psycho back ups on pink) I'd say the album stands as a conceptual whole with it's unique punk pop themes. a (mostly live) punk pop weezer album sounds weird on paper but from the hilariously trippy intro song to the last "thanks" on TLTT, I believe SS2K stands as one of the crowning achievements of the 3rd wave of ska, even if it is a hidden power pop gem that is hardly known by anybody (including far to many modern weezer fans).

The (mostly) live setting actually suits these songs perfectly as Weezer is in intense rock out mode and the songs are so wonderfully un-adorned. It's hard to imagine these songs working better under different circumstance. as it is they perfectly capture the famous energy of that tour as well as the feeling of summer. Also, a live album works well within the musical genres Rivers was working through at the time. The rough, self produced  approach is as punk as can be, live albums are a major stable in ska as well as the reggae tradition as a whole (think "No Woman No Cry") and in channeling early beatles, let us not forget that PPM was rumored to be recorded live and many of their early beat records were recorded in a manner not to different than the SS2K record. So in conclusion, I vote yes (no surprise there) for SS2K on all three counts! Weezer's punk-pop masterpiece and my fave W album.

go to my youtube to see (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBKvcPN1d5s&playnext=1&list=...). I'm refering to the "definitive versions" selected by Rivers and edited by Karl. Using soundboard recordings from the summer tour as well as demos made backstage and in Rivers' new studio, Rivers selected his favorite structure, lyrics, performance, etc. to create what he considered the TRUE versions of these songs (which Karl then had the pleasure of then assembling via digital editing). Then he took from the 14 summer songs2k and cobbled together what he envisioned as the ideal album representing that sound (the album they likely would have made). So i'm referencing the actual 11-track (10 if you don't count "Intro") SS2K album that W released online for free, which I have on youtube if interested.

I guess you could throw in the other four summer songs of 2000 (which are bonus tracks on the SS2K album, also on my youtube) as well as b-sides of that era. But for these 14 songs let it be clear that I'm referencing the "definitive versions" of these songs as selected and released by Weezer, not the later reworking Rivers did while demoing mala, album 5, or even the versions that ended up on Green or mala.

Not a big fan of his later attempts at superstar in particular... And i'm not counting other songs written in in this SS2K period such as brightening day, always and island in the sun; which were all written in between my brain and o girl. Although I guess it's telling that those songs were written with the other summer songs2k. Not that the other Green tracks were written long after. Everything but I Do was written in 2000.

Gregor =w= Langbehn said:

what do you consider to be the SS2K Album songs?  Some of those songs were re-done for the Album 5 sessions after Maladroit came out.
You're welcome. I used a couple cliches that made sense to me but I didn't word very clearly. What I meant was that in 2000 weezer fans hadn't heard any new songs in a few years so anything would seem good at that point for desperate fans. Now ten years or so later SS2K is a catchy phrase for newer fans so the long lost collection may be made out to be better than it really is.
But we all have our own opinions and you certainly have justified your own with an in-depth explanation.

thank you sir. Humbly respect your opinion as well, very well thought out and certainly makes sense of SS2K's reputation. I love SS2K, but I'm sure plenty don't. It certainly is not the second coming or anything. It's a great straightforward pop album, that's it. that's why it's my favorite W record, which might also be why some dislike it. Before I found SS2K, Green was my fave album, which i know is f***** sacrilege to some people out there...

I'm really intrigued by all the albums that weren't. That's the great thing about weezer, the albums they didn't make are often just as good, or better depedning who you ask ;), than the albums they did as well as better than what most of their competition churns out. I'd love for Rivers to one day make the equivalent of an SS2K album for early mala demos, early album 5, etc. Love the heavy metal sound he was going for, but i think the final product is a little schizophrenic (not that that is a bad thing, just not the album he originally set out to make). Make Believe isn't horrible, but i'd love to have an acoustice fallen soldiers style storytelling album. And of coarse, to one day get Homie would be fantastic, much less a complete (Haden, synths and all!) Black H***.

Just curious, which songs do you think are good and which so so from SS2K?

Preacher, slob, dope, kow

Dukes has a good opening guitar sound but at the chorus it just turns into a complete mess.
Superstar doesn't mesh with any era weezer sound.

Some cool minor keys on some songs. There aren't that many weezer songs in general that I strongly dislike and this collection is no different than any album. 4 good 8 or so just kind of the artists pet project as filler since the music industry established long ago you can't sell an album with less than 10 songs you have to put something on there.
hmm, i'm not sure if i heard the definitive versions of SS2K, but i spent a few hours searching for 'em and finally found a download that had what i believed to be most of 'em (i tried allthingsweezer, apparently you need an invite though) and i listened to them all, loved the original versions of My Brain and Slob, although i'm upset that Mad Kow and Modern Dukes never made it to an album.
I know, those songs rock! go to my youtbe account, TheAngryAbsolutist http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAngryAbsolutist, I have the whole albums plus bonus tracks (all 14 summer songs of 2000 in their definitive version, plus a hilarious backstage warmup and their trippy as all f*** intro music). Feel free to rip it (http://www.video2mp3.net/ works the best for me). It was given to us for free, so feel free to download it, and tell your friends! Also, gotta love that weird album artwork! what the f*** is going on there?!

Cameron Cannon said:
hmm, i'm not sure if i heard the definitive versions of SS2K, but i spent a few hours searching for 'em and finally found a download that had what i believed to be most of 'em (i tried allthingsweezer, apparently you need an invite though) and i listened to them all, loved the original versions of My Brain and Slob, although i'm upset that Mad Kow and Modern Dukes never made it to an album.

Also got the album plus bonus tracks and other extra material on media fire: http://www.mediafire.com/?2bq4qgg89176l, if you want a high quality download.

spread the summery love!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Weezer Bootlegs

SOCIAL

• Weezer Links

Weezer Mailing List

Music

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Weezer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Video